Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

'95 MC 3.4L Bad Coil Pak

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 07:32 AM
Default '95 MC 3.4L Bad Coil Pak

Always on the Holiday weekends...oh well, make the best of it.
Figured I'd share my first coil pak problem/troubleshooting/repair experience for those
who haven't had to yet.
I just had to change my center coil pak yesterday on my '95 MC Z34 (3.4L).
The three coil paks are mounted on the front of the engine, below the front exhaust manifold, and behind the radiator fans.
Fun to get to but possible to replace without removing stuff if you can get the front of the car up in the air. I worked from below and above.
My engine was missing. I found the non-firing cylinder with a timing light, clamping one spark plug wire at a time 'til I found the middle rear plug not firing.
In the manual, it says both pak plugs fire at the same time (waste spark on the other cylinder). My bad pak would fire one plug but not the other.
To prove it wasn't the wire/plug, I put the non-firing spark plug wire on the pak's other firing terminal and it fired fine (again by checking with my timing light).
When I had the pak in my hand, I found it had cracks on both sides.
Easy way to troubleshoot it...this time
jogasz28

Old 09-06-2009, 07:37 AM

...Hi `Joe, Sorry that you had a Monte problem on a holiday weekend, but it's great that you had the knowledge to be able to repair it yourself 4-Sure...Knowledge can save big $'s in repairs.
Thanks for posting your Tech knowledge/experience on how your repaired your problem. I'm sure our Monte Family member's will aprreciate.

Wish you & your Monte and super fun/safe holiday.
EnJoy