Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

87 SS Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Default 87 SS Stalling

Having a problem with stalling in my 87 SS. It only happens after the car warms up really well. I can tell by the temp guage when it is going to stall. (doesn't overheat). Starts right back up but I have to park it and let it cool down to stop the stalling. Usually happens after about 10 miles of driving. Had carb rebuilt, replaced all belts and hoses. Had a complete tune up and last week put new fuel pump in. Mechanic now wants to replace gas tank. Someone else mentioned "metering jets in carb" being recalled on older SS's but I can't find anything online about it. Appreciate any suggestions.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:22 PM

Did you check the fuel pressure regulator? And welcome to the forum!

Old 11-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by montyss02
Did you check the fuel pressure regulator? And welcome to the forum!
I'll have that checked out. Thanks.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

FPR? on a 87SS thats carbed...am i missing somthing....

Old 11-08-2009, 07:56 PM

Are you sure that it is fuel related? Could also be the ignition module. Usually they just die completely, but I have had them do what your describing.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:31 PM

I would take air cleaner off and see if you are get fuel by opening up the butterflys. See if fuel is flowing or not. I wouldn't believe a fuel tank is causing the problem because if it was having fuel pickup problems heat wouldn't be a cause. I would check for spark after it stalls at the distributor then if you have no spark do the ignition module.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Budsjlm
FPR? on a 87SS thats carbed...am i missing somthing....
I thought it was TBI! I stand corrected. Also you may want to check for vacuum leaks!

Last edited by Wilco; 11-08-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:48 PM

Thanks for all your input. I am going to print out the responses for my mechanic. I didn't think gas tank was it either. It is definitely heat related though. I am sick at not being able to drive her any distance. Luckily I work close to home so I can take her to work on nice days like today without the stalling. Anticipate taking the car in later this week and have it checked out again.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

are you sure it's not vapor lock, i had this problem once before. this brief description is from wiki... just a thought!!!!

Vapor lock (also known as vapour lock) is a problem that mostly affects gasoline-fueled internal combustion engines. It occurs when the liquid fuel changes state from liquid to gas while still in the fuel delivery system. This disrupts the operation of the fuel pump, causing loss of feed pressure to the carburetor or fuel injection system, resulting in transient loss of power or complete stalling. Restarting the engine from this state may be difficult. The fuel can vaporise due to being heated by the engine, by the local climate or due to a lower boiling point at high altitude. In regions where higher volatility fuels are used during the winter to improve the starting of the engine, the use of "winter" fuels during the summer can cause vapor lock to occur more readily.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:20 PM

Finally solved the mystery stalling. Cellanoid in the trans went bad. Had it replaced and I can drive forever without it stalling. What a relief! Two places wanted to rebuild it but my Muscle Car Resto guy replaced it, put a new filter, gaskets and fluid and for $125 I'm on the road! Thanks for all your input.

Quick Reply: 87 SS Stalling