Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

87 ss

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 09:23 PM
Default 87 SS with multiple questions can anyone point me straight

Will try posting in here since no help in general...Moms car has been in storage for last 10 years and she promised it to our son when he hit 16...Well...he is there. Been working on getting it back on the road and it has been a challenge. Everything worked fine when it was put up but now the fun begins. Brake light is always on the dash. Need to find out how to test either e-brake switch or prop valve sensor. Converter will not lock up where to start there. Cruise will not work with the "set" switch but will with resume accel. Idle was on high side but starting to come back down more often. Seems to run decent for 10-15 minutes but if going up a hill around 40 mph it falls flat on her face and you almost are forced to stop and let er start over in first. Trans shifts good except for not locking up. Sorry this is so long but this car is gonna suck me dry.. Can I try some stuff myself or better taking it into a garage. Thanks, Brian

Last edited by bstevens; 08-01-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:32 PM

Anyone?

Old 08-01-2010, 04:46 PM

Brake Light: like you said has to be the prop valve or parking brake switch. No leaking brake lines or wheel cyl.?
TC: probably the TC control solinoid.
Cruise: could be just the switch is bad, my 79 and 87 are both the same as yours, have a new switch for one or the other but havent driven either one this year.
Have you changed the fuel filter? Basic Tune up?

Old 08-01-2010, 05:40 PM

Re did all four corners on the brakes. New plugs and wires. Idle is getting better and better with time. This thing sat for 10 years. Maybe try to get a new turn signal switch for the cruise then. Where is the solenoid for the tranny then inside? Will have to try to get at the filter then too. Thanks, B

Old 08-02-2010, 03:24 AM

The solenoid is inside, yes good time for a fluid and filter change.
Do the brakes all bleed good? sounds like the prop valve isn't back on center.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:48 PM

Brakes are great. Lock right up. Work even better now that gear lube does not run out the seal. No air in the system. Had to replace a line but the bad spot was at the T where it splits to each rear which is above the prop valve so don't think moisture could have gotten that far up. Is this solenoid something easy to do or trans shop gonna have to do it. This thing is buggin me out. Tonight kid wants to take it to his buds house and now idle does not want to come down. Stab the gas and it just wants to go higher. Just wish this thing ran the way it did when mom put it up 10 years ago. Thanks for your help ...Bri

Old 08-03-2010, 04:51 PM

It's not hard 2 bolts and a couple of wires when you do the fluid change.
Try tapping on the prop valve while some one is pumping the brakes slowly, some times it works.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Default little update little more help yet

Thanks to all that have given insight into this beast. Running much better now since fuel pump was weak so replaced. Bud ran a scan on it and TPS says close to 5 volts all times. Will have him replace that. Next question is would that hold back the torque converter from locking up? Is there a way I can test the brake switch to see if that is it (the switch that is tied into the cruise control)? Scan said 4th gear converter was off all the time so just seeing how to check things is all. Shes getting close to being road worthy after a 10 year nap in the garage. Thanks, Brian....Oh nuther quick one..What rpms should this thing run at 70 mph if TCC is locked up. My buddy still thinks im nuts about this. Update....the TPS is at 9.8 volts ALL times. What does the TPS control as far as other operations of tranny etc.

Lots of views on this but no answers from anyone

Last edited by bstevens; 08-12-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:02 PM

gonna wing it i guess

Old 08-12-2010, 06:22 PM

70 mph should be about 26-2700 locked up and right at 3000 unlocked. I think, been awhile since I had a stock setup .
If the comp thinks the tps is at wot all the time dont think it will lock the convertor. Like I said been awhile since stock.