Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

87 Aerocoupe Shifter Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Default 87 Aerocoupe Shifter Question

Hey, I am new here and was wondering if anyone could tell me how to tell the difference between a 3 speed shifter and a 4 speed shifter by looking at them? I purchased a shifter off line for my car and the guy said it was for a 4 speed car but I'm not sure and wondering if I can tell visually.. Thanks Jenn

Old 07-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

welcome to the forum jenn! there are some 4th gen monte owners on here so hopefully someone can help you with your question.

do you have any pics to share? we are all crazy about 4th gens around here, and i personally LOVE the aerocoupes!!!!

Old 07-10-2009, 11:05 PM

usually one will have overdrive and one won't. so it would be 1,2, drive, and then overdrive or 1,2, and drive with no overdrive selection. at least that's how the 84 caprice I had was. I love the aerocoupes by the way, so post up some pics when you get a chance.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:53 AM

are you talking about the shifter handle? or all the guts and everything that are hidden under the console?

Old 07-11-2009, 08:01 AM

Hey, I am talking about the guts under the console I cant shifter the shifter into first gear. The car came with a Hurst shifter and i wanted to return it to stock so I bought a shifter and cable off some kid and he said it was 4 speed and I know my trans is 4 speed and now I am having a problem and have ajusted my linkage and im still have the same problem.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:11 AM

confirm you have the correct cable length. if you do you're probably S.O.L. and will have to obtain the shifter guts elsewhere. the semi-good news is that if you're a junkyard hopper, the guts out of any Grand Prix, Cutlass, Regal or Monte that has a 4 speed on the floor will swap right over. it sucks I know.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:34 AM

This is my aerocoupe, I have since removed the cowl hood and put a stock one on.

Attached Thumbnails 87 Aerocoupe Shifter Question-aeroside.jpg  
Old 07-11-2009, 10:40 AM

Here is one with the flat hood. Its far from done but eventually we will get there.

Attached Thumbnails 87 Aerocoupe Shifter Question-jens-pics-078.jpg  
Old 07-11-2009, 10:46 AM

Welcome to the MCF 87Aerocoupe, its good to see so many people who love their Monte they way i love mine! i haven't been here very long, but i am enjoying these boards very much, and the community here is top notch, one of the best out of any forums i frequent throughout the day.

/rant i may be the exception when it comes to this model, but i think it is a hideous vehicle, not to knock your or anyone else love of this body style. maybe it is just that whole body style of the monte of those years, it just seems like a rip off of the Buick Grand national to me...(my dream car is a GNX). /end rant

Quick Reply: 87 Aerocoupe Shifter Question