Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

5th gen, 3100 (3.1) v6 question

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 5th gen, 3100 (3.1) v6 question

ok, i have been driving the monte for a lil while now, and it seems to run great.

except that when i go up hills, it looses power, and i have to get way into the throttle. sometimes if i back out of it, it actully feels like a gain power(?). i replaced the fuel and air filters, and plugs and wires are on the way, i was just wondering if it could be anything else.

maby a throttle position sensor?

thanks in advance for any advice / suggestions

ps. the car has 152,220 miles

Old 05-02-2009, 01:23 PM

Hi Ryan,
I'm sure several of our Member's that know about the 3.1 will post their thoughts. Does the RPM change when this happen's ? Does it just Bog ?

Several member's & myself have tried a product called Sea Foam (Mod Wiz swears by `it & sells it @ his autoPart+)
I've used it in my grandfather's GMC van & it made a big difference 4 Sure. Below R some links 2 check `out

<LI about="r10">Sea Foam

Welcome to SeaFoam's website. SeaFoam is renowned as the finest, most multifaceted and safest petroleum product of our times.

www.seafoamsales.com/ - 11k - Similar pages [ More results from www.seafoamsales.com ]
http://www.seafoamsales.com/
<LI about="r11">Sea Foam

(If vehicle is port injected slowly pour SEA FOAM through direct manifold vacuum line that will feed all cylinders, possible sources are P.C.V. valve or ...
www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm - 19k - Similar pages
http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm
<LI about="r12">How to Seafoam your engine the right way.|| Complete DIY ||: ...

okay, after you sucked all the seafoam in, turn off the engine. .... Doesn't Seafoam recommend to let the engine run for 5 min after using ...
forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=126583 - 164k - Similar pages
http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=126583
<LI about="r13">Sea Foam Usage Video

How to Use Sea Foam Products. Download video - iPod/PSP

Old 05-02-2009, 02:38 PM

the RPMs climb a little, crusing seems to be about 2 grand, it might get to 3,500, but it really seems to just bog, and its only on an incline. the trans shifts fine and smooth from what i can tell, most of the time the hills it bogs on the trans should not have to downsift, so im leaning towards the engine. like i said, tho, i dont know how the plugs are, so it could just need a tune up, but if not, i want to know in advance other places i could look. i figure ill dump some injector cleaner into it, and that seafoam stuff is a possibility, thanks for the info, space.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:50 PM

A scan would help tremendously- is there any way you could take one / post one?

Old 05-03-2009, 09:10 AM

the only place i can have it scanned is at my tech school in autoshop, an its gonna be a while before i can get the car up there. i wish i had a scanner myself, but i dont know if it would do any good, none of the idiot lights come on in the car so i dont think its throwing any codes, but i still want to have it scanned.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:54 AM

I didn't mean a scan of codes- I mean a scan of all the sensors (ie tps, map, maf, rpm, fuel trims, spark advance, misfire counter- etc etc) as you're actually driving.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:28 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Just a question. Does it still have the original Cat?

Old 05-04-2009, 06:54 PM

i think its the original cat, thats probibly my last thing to check, dang platinum is expensive, lucky my county does not do emmisions, so i could get away with hollowing it out for the time, but im gonna check everything else first.

bumpin 96, i did not even know such a thing was possible! ( i feel kinda dumb saying that, lol) im shoure someone i know has a scanner i can borrow, but its gonna be a while...

some new developments: i was out in the car today, it barly made it up a slight incline, im goin 5mph with people beepin & passing me, turned off the main drag to get to my house, the road was a steeper grade, i mashed the petal all the way to the floor and it was like turning on a lightswich, the car downshifted and took off up the hill, did the same on the next street with the same results, then i let off and the car boged down.

im still hoping its a throttle position sensor or a tune up, but any more thoughts would be greatly appreciated, and thanks again for everyones previous replys, you have all been a great help.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:57 PM

I definitely wouldn't be going WOT if your car has issues- its possible for it to be going way lean or way rich, and you would never know.

Why not have your mechanic do a scan for you?

The bad thing is, there are so many possible avenues to begin- and so many things to check, that the easiest way to begin troubleshooting problems like this on a car with obd 2 is to see what values all the sensors are reporting when the car is acting strange.

With any decent obd2 scan tool you can view any sensor's output in real time (as well as some outputs like IPW's and EGR controls)- and you can view multiple ones at once, as well as log them for later viewing (obviously you can't monitor 10-15 #'s by yourself if you're driving too).

Old 05-05-2009, 04:33 AM
Thumbs up Thanks BumPin with a few Mod's : )

Member: bumpin96monte,
Thanks again 4 taking your time to assist member's
with your automotive knowledge.
It is appreciated....4-Sure!

Quick Reply: 5th gen, 3100 (3.1) v6 question