Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): 4th Gear Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 4th Gear Problems?

For a long time I have ignored the issue that I have been having with 4th gear. When my car is in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd it shifts and runs in the gear smoothly. When I get it 4th gear its like a lag and when I run open downpipe it vibrates a lot... The shift from 3rd to 4th is perfect but the gear itself just doesnt pick up power like the rest. What would cause this? Thanks in advance!

Edit: If I floor it in 4th there is no lag(or atleast I dont feel it) but it doesnt take off like 1st gear does...

Last edited by DRuben; 04-21-2012 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Adding more info
Old 04-21-2012, 08:58 PM

4th gear is overdrive - it's not intended for power, the output shaft of the tranny will be turning faster than the engine crank shaft (for fuel economy, keeps RPMs lower).

1st: 2.92:1
2nd: 1.56:1
3rd: 1:1
4th (OD): 0.70:1
Reverse: 2.38:1

Maybe I'm missing something in your post but from what I'm gathering you don't have an issue going on with the tranny, especially if the shift is good.

Last edited by Mike 00LS; 04-24-2012 at 05:40 PM. Reason: added info / adjusted gear ratios to actual
Old 04-21-2012, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mike 00LS
4th gear is overdrive - it's not intended for power, it has a ratio less than 1 engine rotation to 1 output shaft rotation (for fuel economy, keeps RPMs lower).

Maybe I'm missing something in your post but from what I'm gathering you don't have an issue going on with the tranny, especially if the shift is good.
Nope the tranny is fine besides the hard shifting sometimes but that bog/rumble is annoying... Can the zzp pcm change this? Im currently running no mufflers or resonator and you can hear the engine bogging and rumbling through the exhaust in 4th and I hate it...

Old 04-21-2012, 09:32 PM

Put your shifter in 3rd. Our shifter acts like a gear limiter - you can't shift it like a manual, but it won't pass the gear you put it in.

1 and 2 will engage engine braking when you take your foot off the throttle.

Some vehicles have an option to turn it off (like my truck has a button on the shifter head). You'll notice higher RPMs and lower MPGs of course (especially on the freeway).

Last edited by Mike 00LS; 04-24-2012 at 05:43 PM. Reason: fixed incorrect info
Old 04-22-2012, 10:02 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Like already mentioned, 4th gear is not going to pull as hard as 1st because 4th gear is geared for fuel economy while 1st gear is geared for acceleration. That's just the way it is and there's nothing to do about it (nor do you want to change this).

Originally Posted by Mike 00LS
Put your shifter in 3rd. Our shifter acts like a gear limiter - it won't shift when you do like a manual, but it won't pass the gear you put it in unless you're really redlining it and about to cause damage to the engine, in that case the computer will override you.
This isn't exactly true. If you put the shifter into 1st (or Low range) the tranny will shift into second like normal, however the tranny will not shift into 3rd at all, no matter how hard or how long you rev the engine, the computer will not override you. Also, this will allow your Monte to engine brake which can help in bad weather or constant hills. If you put the shifter into 3rd or Drive, your Monte will go through the gears like normal but it will not shift into 4th gear no matter what and there will be no engine braking. This is useful for city driving.

Some vehicles have an option to turn it off (like my truck has a button on the shifter head). You'll notice higher RPMs and lower MPGs of course (especially on the freeway).
Our Monte's will not rev any higher by selecting a gear other then Overdrive. The rev limiter will stop you from reving past ~5800rpm no matter what. You will get worse gas mileage though if you are on the highway and you're not in Overdrive.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:07 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by zipper
Like already mentioned, 4th gear is not going to pull as hard as 1st because 4th gear is geared for fuel economy while 1st gear is geared for acceleration. That's just the way it is and there's nothing to do about it (nor do you want to change this).

This isn't exactly true. If you put the shifter into 1st (or Low range) the tranny will shift into second like normal, however the tranny will not shift into 3rd at all, no matter how hard or how long you rev the engine, the computer will not override you. Also, this will allow your Monte to engine brake which can help in bad weather or constant hills. If you put the shifter into 3rd or Drive, your Monte will go through the gears like normal but it will not shift into 4th gear no matter what and there will be no engine braking. This is useful for city driving.

Our Monte's will not rev any higher by selecting a gear other then Overdrive. The rev limiter will stop you from reving past ~5800rpm no matter what. You will get worse gas mileage though if you are on the highway and you're not in Overdrive.
Good info! So on the highway drive in "Drive" and city drive in "3rd"?

Old 04-22-2012, 01:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

You can do that. I'm a forgetful person though, so I just put it into 4th (Overdrive, Drive, whatever top gear is called in a particular car). This way I don't forget about it on the highway and lose mileage.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:46 PM

This isn't exactly true. If you put the shifter into 1st (or Low range) the tranny will shift into second like normal, however the tranny will not shift into 3rd at all, no matter how hard or how long you rev the engine, the computer will not override you.
Ah ok - I was told otherwise - but I'll note that for later. I do know about the engine braking, though, which I do use a lot in winter when going down hills, etc to avoid spinning out.

By higher RPMs I was referring to the fact that the engine shifts gears in lower RPMs and essentially tries to race into overdrive to save gas. Redline is still redline and the car won't pass it but when you're driving under normal load (not WOT) the car will hold gears until a bit higher in the RPMs - under normal load in 'D' I'll shift up right after I hit 3k - when in '3' it'll hold on until about 4500 before it up shifts.

Also, on the freeway it'll cruise at 2k (with my foot on it lightly). In 3 It'll cruise anywhere from 25 to 2800.

Last edited by Mike 00LS; 04-25-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member

Been driving in 3rd all day and no bogging at all. I love it! If im going around 80 mph and slow down I can hear it slowing down through the exhaust like a roaring sound which is sometimes accompanied by popping :p

Old 04-24-2012, 07:45 PM

i wouldent drive all the time in third do to our trans will fail even faster i will try dropping the pan and see if there is any forren mattereal in the pan or smell of bad fluid. but i will change the fluid first then it might be the shift silinoid or some thing else going wrong.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): 4th Gear Problems?