Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

3.5 and 3.9 Engines: What's the GOOD word?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 09:58 PM
Default 3.5 and 3.9 Engines: What's the GOOD word?

Hello All,

I'm a Monte Carlo entheusist; however, I sold both my 95's to get a 4 door for the baby my girlfriend and I had a few months back. Just couldn't handle moving the seats back and forth. Anyway, now we are on the market for a second car and I have my heart set on a newer body style Monte Carlo. However, I'm not very familar with the newer body styles engines. Of course, I want the 5.3L, but I found a good deal on one that needs a new engine and tranny. Lucky for me, my father is a mechanic and has a hoist and all the goods so I can get the job done in his garage.

So here is the question. I remember in the older body style '95-'99, the 3.4L engine was a bit unreliable. Meaning, yeah, it had the "more power" we wanted in a car, but I heard TONS of cases where the 3.4 blew up. Everyone (my mechanic friends) would tell me to shy away from the 3.4 because it was less reliable than the 3.1's. Now I don't mean to spark a feud with any members that currently have an older body style and their 3.4's are working flawlessly... What I am trying to do is find out what the deal is on the current body style engines. I am looking for an engine to swap in the carlo I am looking to pick up, but I am not sure which engine to get. I've heard many stories of people putting the 5.3 in their LS carlos so I was thinking about doing that. However, I found a great deal on a 3.5 or a 3.9. What is the story with those two? Is one more reliable than the other? Also, if you have done any engine swapping, feel free to pm me. I am interested in talking to you about doing a swap....

thanks!

Nathan

Old 11-18-2008, 10:41 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: 3.5 and 3.9 Engines: What's the GOOD word?

Id say look around for a 3.8 if you can, they run for ever.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:57 PM
Default Anyone put a 5.3l into a non-ss Carlo?

enzo (or anyone else who can answer this) - yeah, I have a Grand Prix GTP and I'm an avid GM fan so I'm very content with the 3800. However, will the 3.8 or possibly a 5.3 SC drop into any 2000 and up Monte Carlo (as in a LT or LS)? I'm looking to purchase a 2002 or so. I figure there might be a bit of work to be done as far as the harness and a few other things if I were to get the 5.3l. Maybe someone has done it?

Old 11-19-2008, 02:03 AM
Default RE: Anyone put a 5.3l into a non-ss Carlo?

so u r lookin to drop and engine into a 2000-2004 body style monte and u want to know if a 3.8 or a 5.3 will fit into the body without modifications. As far as i know the 6th gen ls and ss are virtually the same car with the engine as the difference (maybe a few accessory differences) so i would say a 3.8 would fit jsut fine into a 00-04 ls (but i will have to research it 2moro as it is very late and i am very tired....as for the 5.3 i have no idea as i have never seen the engine

Old 11-19-2008, 04:34 AM

yup. Mainly looking to get a LS for cheap and drop in a 5.3 SC. Figure I can get a LS for around a $1000 or less with a blown engine and tranny. Then grab me a 5.3L for around $1800-$2500 depending on how many miles I want/don't want on the engine I choose....then I got myself an amazing ride! Then I'll start throwing in some mods.... let me know what you come up with. A friend of mine said he knew a guy that threw in a 5.3 from a Monte Carlo into a Grand Prix because GM has become so standardized.... How awesome is that!

Anyway, thanks for the help!

Old 11-19-2008, 02:02 PM

Which year is it that you're looking at? There are slight differences between the 00-05s and the 06-07s. I know the 06-07 SS (5.3L) has different motor mounts and supposedly a different suspension setup. So far my 3.9L is holding up great, almost 60k now with no major problems yet.

Let us know which way you do end up going, because I for one am interested in tossing a 5.3 in after this engine is shot, but I actually haven't heard of anyone doing this yet.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:08 PM

Got_Bot - Well, right now I am trying to find a cheap Monte Carlo with a shot engine and/or tranny. Looks like I have a 2006 lined up. However, I think that might be too rich for my blood at the moment....but if it's the right price, I'll sure as heck pick it up. What year is your Monte? I figured I'd have to find a 2000-2003 to keep it in the budget, but if the mount's don't match up for a 5.3...well, lets just say I'd probably have a lot more work on my hands than I really can deal with...right? But maybe someone else has done it.

Anyone?

Old 11-19-2008, 04:37 PM

From what I have read the 5.3 has a different engine cradle than the V6 cars.It also has a heavy duty transmission and suspension to handle the extra torque.The weight is about the same as the 3.9 and 3.5 though,since the 5.3 is allaluminum.I think for what you will spend to convert a V6 car into a V8 you could just get the V8 car in the first place.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:53 PM

LaserBlue - yeah, i figured that would be the case. However, I really want to take on a project so I wouldn't mind a little work. I found a 5.3 with just a few miles on her along with a 4T65E. So along with making custom motor mounts, I would need a new suspension....

....and???

Anyone? I'm guessing I might need to change the wiring in the harness (good thing I have a hookup with a friend to get those schematics!) and...........????

p.s., thanks for all the help already!

Old 11-19-2008, 10:53 PM

Mine's an '06, the only year they offered the 3.9L.

Even an '06 or '07 V6 may need different mounts for the V8, I've heard that the V8 only has 3 mounts, two bottom and one top, while the V6s have four, two top and two bottom. I'd say the electrical part would depend on what all you get with the engine, like if you had a donor car than you could just rip out most of what you needed.

Quick Reply: 3.5 and 3.9 Engines: What's the GOOD word?