Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

3.4L Engine Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 07:44 PM
Default 3.4L Engine Question

I'm looking at a '97 Monte Carlo and im curious about the 3.4L engine. This car has 220k miles, and kind of has me worried. The only reason I'm considering this car is because its cheap, in good shape, and I need a car in a hurry. So if could you please tell me whether I should risk buying a car with that many miles, or keep looking for something else, it would be much appreciated. ThanksSorry if this is in the wrong section

Old 06-22-2009, 07:57 PM

IMO, no car with 220k miles is worth buying for a daily driver- it really has nothing to do with what engine it has, the entire car will be worn out (trans, suspension, etc). With that much mileage, the car isn't worth much more than scrap value.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:21 PM

Unfortunately, I'm not a person that knows all about cars. I test drove it and the trans seemed fine. By that I mean that it didn't buck or shake or anything, shifted smoothly, and seemed fine. But of course I dont know and wont pretend to know what is good or bad. Just my thoughts on it. As for suspension, it rode smooth. Didnt feel jerky or anything. But like I said, I dont know how to tell if its good or not. Those are just what i noticed. The steering worked fine, car started right away, sounds good, no horrible sounds, no burning smell, no dripping, nothing really that i would think would be bad. But that can be dealt with later. For know, im just trying to find out whether or not the engine could possibly have the life/durability to be good after 220k miles.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:12 AM

Welcome 2 the MCF Family...
Do you know the history on this Monte ?
What has been done in those 220K miles ?
Do you know how many owners ?
If it has been serviced & parts replaced
it might be `ok, depending on the asking/sale Price.
Is it a private owner or dealer ?
Good Luck 2 U...Let us know what you decide.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:19 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

<$500?

Old 06-23-2009, 11:28 AM

BlkSheep `Mike I bid $600

Sorry new Member Rushr, we joke around a lot here.
Please post more infor about the Monte you are look'in at.
Ask seller as many ?'s as you can think of, and also you can
get a CarFax Report that has history on the Vehicle. It's a small fee. Just type in CarFax in your search engine.
Good Luck

Old 06-23-2009, 11:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm serious. I wouldn't spend more than $500 on a car with that many miles and the 3.4

You could get a beat up grand prix for $1800 with the 3.8 engine and less miles. Or even a buick regal.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:59 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If the owner can prove that the car was maintained well....I would buy it IF it was the right price. I wouldn't pay more than $800 bucks for it personally. And thats if its in really good condition.

But if all the required maintenance has been done, I think you could get more life out of it.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:33 PM

Thanks for all the replies, didnt really expect to get any more replies so I kind of forgot to check back in. Anyways, to the questions. Its being sold at a dealership for 1500 (said i could buy for 900) but unfortunately, I test drove it and noticed smoke coming out of the exhaust. My guess is that oil is being burnt, which obviously cant be good. Maybe im wrong though? And as for info about the car, I have no clue. I doubt it was one owner, and yes its obviously more then 500. I would say more, but i dont really know too much. Any tips on the smoke out of the exhaust would be appreciated. (Oh, and the smoke isnt insanely bad, just noticable. Goes away when driving for a while, but comes back eventually) I've been starting to look at other cars since this seems kind of hopeless, but havent decided anything yet

Old 06-26-2009, 10:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

The smoke out of the exhaust is probably the valve seals. Not really a problem that hurts drivability, just when the car sits oil will drip past the stem of the valve into the combustion chamber. 220,000 miles is alot for any car. Dont let the 3.4L scare you. Its a good motor, has a good bottom end and flows ALOT of air. Aftermarket isnt too good for it and the timing belts are a pain to change and need changed every 60-80 thousand miles. Its definately more fun to drive than the boring old 3.8. And I dont care what anyone says, its just as fast if not faster than the 3.8 montes. I wouldnt worry as much about the engine as the transmission. If it shifts fine and doesnt take a long time to engage when you shift from park to drive or park to reverse then it should be fine.
97 z34s had the same 4t65e transmission as the newer montes, just with a taller gear set.

Quick Reply: 3.4L Engine Question