Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

7th Gen ('06-'07): 2006 3.4L V6 p0016 code

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 04:59 PM
1 Year Member
Unhappy 2006 3.4L V6 p0016 code

The engine has been running VERY roughly. It starts fine, but runs rough, and makes an obnoxious sound, like the engine isn't firing right. Also, while it in, you can smell gas by the exhaust. The CEL was on, pulled the code and it was P0016: crank position sensor/cam position sensor correlation. I'm not sure wha to do. we finally got the. Crank sensor off, but autozone can't test them. Any help please?

Old 04-02-2012, 05:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Let's start with what engine you have.

In 2006 there was the 3.5l 3.9l and 5.3l

The 3.4l was in the 2000-2005 Monte Carlo's.

The crankshaft sensor is part of the primary ignition system and functions as the "trigger". It detects the position of the crankshaft relays that information on to the PCM or the ignition module (depending on the vehicle) to control spark timing. The Camshaft position sensor detects the position of the camshafts and relays the information to the PCM. The PCM uses the CMP signal to identify the beginning of the injector sequence. What ties these two shafts and their sensors together is the timing belt or chain. The cam and crank should be precisely timed together. If the PCM detects that the Crank and Cam signals are out of time by a specific number of degrees, this P0016 code will set.

Symptoms

Symptoms of a P0016 will or may include:

Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination
The engine may run but with reduced performance
The engine may crank but not start
The engine may exhibit a rattle near the harmonic balancer indicating the tone ring is damaged
The engine may start and run, but poorly
Causes

Causes may include:

Timing chain stretched, or timing belt skipped a tooth due to wear
Misalignment of timing belt/chain
Tone ring on crankshaft slipped/broken
Tone ring on camshaft slipped/broken
Bad crank sensor
Bad cam sensor
Damaged wiring to crank/cam sensor
Timing belt/chain tensioner damaged
Possible Solutions

First, visually inspect the cam and crank sensors and their harnesses for damage. If you notice broken/frayed wires, repair and recheck.
If you have access to a scope, check the cam and crank patterns. If a pattern is missing, suspect a bad sensor or a slipping tone ring. Remove the cam gear and the crankshaft harmonic balancer and inspect the tone rings for proper alignment and make sure they're not loose or damaged or that they haven't sheared the key that aligns them. If they are properly installed, replace the sensor.
If the signal appears normal, then check the timing chain/belt for proper alignment. If it's misaligned, check for a damaged tensioner that may have allowed the chain/belt to slip a tooth or several teeth. Also check that the belt/chain isn't stretched. Repair and recheck.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:49 PM
1 Year Member

I'm sorry! I meant to type 3.5. Must have mistyped. :P

Old 04-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Harkijr
I'm sorry! I meant to type 3.5. Must have mistyped. :P
gotcha, no problem I would start by checking the sensors that were listed in my first post

Old 04-07-2012, 11:58 AM
1 Year Member

I checked all the plugs, cleaned them. Checked all the wires, and even had the coil pack tested. All good! So I need to check those sensors, and check the timing chain/gears. I'm not sure I understand the post above. How do I go about checking those? Is there a way to test the sensors while they are out of te engine? And can I check the chain and all that easily while the engine is still in?

Old 04-08-2012, 01:19 PM
1 Year Member

I would like to check the timing chain and sprockets. Is there an easy way to check? I read the Haynes book and it says the oil pan needs to be removed which requires 1001 things to be done. Can I just take out the from bolts of te oil pan and take the timing chain cover off?