Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

2000 SS with 122K miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Default 2000 SS with 122K miles

OK need some help here people. I replaced one of my coils that the computer said was bad, I also replaced Ign. module for that coil. I still have the same problem. When under easy acceleration everything is fine. But when getting on the freeway or the engine shifting down to it's passing gear, I get up to 4500 rpms and the engine just dies and won't accelerate any more. I can hear the engine knocking and the car actually starts slowing down. If I let up on the gas the engine will shift up and I'll gain speed. I've dropped $600 and haven't been able to fix it. I don't want to spend anymore money unless I know what the hell is going on. The diagnostic machine has said everytime that it's the coil/ign. pack because I'm getting 500+ misfires on that cylinder and my mileage has dropped from 26 to 19 mpg.
What is the deal????

Old 02-05-2007, 07:27 PM
Default RE: 2000 SS with 122K miles

I'm no expert, but mine was doing that and it was the cat plugged up.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:48 PM

MINE WAS DOING CLOSE TO WHAT YOU SAID, MAF SENSOR NEEDED CLEANING, USE BRAKE CLEAN ONLY NOTHING ELSE

Old 02-05-2007, 09:02 PM

i'd be thinking cat too

Old 02-06-2007, 10:27 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

i would definetely check the cat converter..thats what it sounds like to me

also, there's 3 coils on the car so did you change the right one??? did you change plugs and wires as well??

check air filter too...i know this wont cause that...but you should make sure its clean ... its hard to tell without actually looking @ the car

Old 02-07-2007, 02:24 PM

When I did the coil, I also did the plugs and wires.

Took it to the shop and went for a ride with the tech. TRANNY!!!! Brought it back and he said the last time is was serviced it had 1-1.5 quart overfill. He's going to flush it, refill and take it for a spin before we dig any deeper. Cross your fingers that it's not any worse or I'll be over on the LS2 GTO site all the time after trading in the Monte.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:04 PM

Picked up the car from Midas. My buddy had flushed the tranny and filled it to the correct level and still had the same problem. Drove down the block to AAMCO and let them have it for the afternoon and waited for the call. ring ring....Hello AMMCO, goodbye $2K. So I'll get it back next Monday or Tuesday with a 3y/36K mile warrenty on my rebuilt tranny. AAMCO was nice enough to pay for the rental car for me.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:25 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't understand how a p0306 or whatever misfire code you get had anything to do with the tranny. Sounds more like the cat to me, also. I've replaced both on my '01 SS LE. Unless your tranny died totally, I'd be leary of a rebuild, which by the way, was $1,400 on my '01. My reverse gear exploded. Wouldn't move. Sounds like yours is going OK, just no top end. Besides, Aamco? They make their money by rebuilding transmissions, whether they need it or not. Hope they are right!
It still sounds like a cat problem, with an ignition problem to boot. Probably a bad coil pack still. Maybe a wire. Platinum plugs last forever!
Let us know how your misfire problem is.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2319272

Old 02-21-2007, 05:49 PM

$3500 later, a new tranny, coil, and module. AAMCO said the tranny was a mess inside and in the process of fixing and test driving it the new coil and module went out again. They replaced both of them at no charge and almost 2 weeks later I might get my car back, tonight. I went in Sat. to pick it up and it was doing the same thing so after I brought it right back I walked accross the street and test drove an 06 GTO. If the Monte doesn't work out I know what I'll be driving next.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:55 PM

ORIGINAL: RocknSS04

I don't understand how a p0306 or whatever misfire code you get had anything to do with the tranny. Sounds more like the cat to me, also. I've replaced both on my '01 SS LE. Unless your tranny died totally, I'd be leary of a rebuild, which by the way, was $1,400 on my '01. My reverse gear exploded. Wouldn't move. Sounds like yours is going OK, just no top end. Besides, Aamco? They make their money by rebuilding transmissions, whether they need it or not. Hope they are right!
It still sounds like a cat problem, with an ignition problem to boot. Probably a bad coil pack still. Maybe a wire. Platinum plugs last forever!
Let us know how your misfire problem is.
FWIW I have always replacedALL the coils and module at the same time. Sometimes they can arc externally or cause a voltage spike into the primary side of the others and take them out also.
Check your fuel injectors, at full throttle acceleration the pulse rate has a rather short pulse width and to a sticking or degraded coil winding may seem like it has constant voltage applied to it. All of which in turn can and will damage the CAT. While the CAT can and will degrade over time my experience has told me that more often than not it is a victim of other fuel/ignition issues. Sounds like you might have a couple different problems.

Sounds like AAMCO hosed you pretty bad.Request the old parts and you will probably see one h*** of a tap dance. That's a lot of money to still have the same problem. I think I would have a rather one sided "discussion" with themabout how much I had just spent for nothing.

Quick Reply: 2000 SS with 122K miles