Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

2000 Monte Carlo SS no more 4th gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 05:07 PM
Default 2000 Monte Carlo SS no more 4th gear

Hey everyone,
First about my car. It's a 2000 Monte Carlo Pace Car Edition with over 234 000 KM. I'm the 2nd owner, my dad was the first owner but gave it to me as a gift to my kids 3 years ago when my wife and I needed a 2nd car. (He has a Traiblazer SS)
Anyways...
Haven't had any major issues till this week. I started to notice the car was not going into 4th gear all the time and now it seems like it won't go into it at all. I do a lot of highway driving so I'm killing my gas right now and it's a bit louder in the car with an aftermarket exhaust and the engine always in the 3000rpms now. Any ideas what could cause this and if there's a quick fix for this or does this look like my tranny is at the end of it's life?

Thanks.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like a solenoid or two in the tranny is going bad, either that or the torque converter failing. Check your transmission fluid.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:39 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would also do a fluid and filter change....before you consider a transmission replace or rebuild....

Old 04-27-2012, 10:44 AM

Thanks all.
I did a fluid and filter change before the winter. Checked the transmission fluid and it seems fine.
I have no issues driving the car except that it doesn't go into 4th anymore

Old 04-27-2012, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by el402
Thanks all.
I did a fluid and filter change before the winter. Checked the transmission fluid and it seems fine.
I have no issues driving the car except that it doesn't go into 4th anymore
Hey! I have almost the same exact problem, and also did a filter/fluid change to rid myself of the problem, to no avail.

I've done a lot of research that suggests one or both of the solenoids in the tranny is failing, and that one of the symptoms some of the other complainants have mentioned is that the tranny fluid will be ok in condition, but a bit bubbly at the top of the dipstick.

Unfortunately, I also learned that in order to replace either of the solenoids, the side tranny cover has to be removed which involves a ton of work. If anyone has an actual guide/walkthrough to this job, it'd be extremely helpful, because right now I think that it is inevitable that I have to drop the subframe or disconnect the tranny from the engine at the flywheel and lower the tranny.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:19 AM
15 Year Member

Yep either drop the cradle or pull the engine to get to it. Once you get access to it though it's easy. I of course pulled the engine.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:52 PM

Looks like I gotta start putting cash away for a rebuild...
Is the car still safe to drive though?

Old 04-27-2012, 04:05 PM

I noticed my oil is dirtier, quicker when running it at 3000 constantly on the highway, and my gas mileage sucks *****, personally I absolutely hate the idea of it running this way because I just rebuilt the motor in 8/2010 and I'd have a fit if something bad happened from it running like that... But, being lower/middle class, I can't exactly afford for a shop to rebuild the tranny and I really can't afford a tranny at all... so... I've ran it for over a year in this shape and nothing's wrong (aside from an oil leak that I cannot find on the drivebelt side of the block... replaced balancer seal, used repair sleeve, replaced an o-ring on a sensor that bolts into timing chain cover, etc and still gushing oil)

I'm planning on dropping the pan again, because I changed the filter and fluid before a 1600 mile trip and things were ok (in late 7/2010 - I had a busted piston 'arm?' two days after I got home, hence the rebuild in 8/2010) (magnet had what I believe was normal dirt on it... finer than 10x powder sugar). I think this tranny thing started after I rebuilt the motor. I can't be sure, because I've had sooo many problems with this car but yet I still stick with it...

If my magnet and bottom of pan doesn't have a ton of grinds in it, I am going to go ahead and replace the solenoids... I found one at the top of the side cover of the tranny but I guess I have to take everything apart to change it. I'm not sure where the other solenoid is but I think it's further toward the bottom of the side of the tranny... someone correct me if I am wrong.

Also, two questions:

1) is there anywhere yall suggest for good solenoids?

2) Does anyone have the PIDs for the tranny line pressure or anything? I read that when one of the solenoids are faulty, there's a line pressure that defaults to 'max' and I want to see if that's the case... it may rule out replacing one of the solenoids... I'm asking for a PID because I have a setup that allows me to read any PID from the computer if I have them...)

Last edited by whitemonte; 04-27-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:38 PM
15 Year Member

I got my solenoids from Autozone, and there are 4 solenoids - two for shifting (1-2 and 2-3) one pressure control solenoid and one torque converter control solenoid. The side cover must be completely removed to do the work.

FWIW, check your engine codes. If you have a P1811, that commands maximum trans pressure, and it's the most common tranny code. Unfortunately, that could also be from wear & tear on the tranny...

Old 04-29-2012, 03:15 PM

unless auto zone's computer doesn't see tranny codes, i dont have any tranny codes at all. (I hope im not intruding on this thread but i suffer the same symptoms.)

Quick Reply: 2000 Monte Carlo SS no more 4th gear