Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

06 Monte won't crank

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 03:30 PM
Default 06 Monte won't crank

I have an 06 Monte Carlo LT it's the 3.5l that will not crank. It does nothing when you turn the key to the crank position. The car has power I replaced the battery the starter has 12 volts at the main wire. The purple wire coming off the starter solenoid has no power even when key is in crank position. I believe it is the neutral safety switch but I can't really find much on it for my car. I've been trying to get it running for 2 weeks now and don't know where else to turn.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:10 AM

Anyone? Or any info on bypassing the neutral safety switch.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Haven't heard so much gen. 7' having ignition switch problems, but it sounds like the same problem as the gen. 6's are having more and more as our cars age. Might even be the same part. You should be able to find several threads if you enter a search here for "ignition switch" or "no start".
Could also be a bad ground connection. Check the ground connection under the intake air duct where one large cable and 2 smaller wires joined together connect to the stud that joins the transmission to the engine.

Please keep us posted.
Have you tried a security re-learn?

Old 05-20-2016, 02:47 PM

Put a new ignition switch in still nothing. Tested the relay it's still good car still won't do anything when I turn the key

Old 05-20-2016, 05:33 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Is there a security light in the dash display?
Have you tried a security re-learn procedure?
Have you checked grounds?
Can check for DTC's?

Other possibilities might be ignition lock cylinder (security chip is embedded in cylinder).
Or cam or crank sensor.

The Security Relearn Procedure. This procedure allows the PCM to function properly in your vehicle after a Battery disconnect or a Security Breach.
Follow the steps listed below completely.

1. Attempt to start the car by turning the key to the Start/Run Position.
2. Observe that the vehicle fails to start and that the security light is illuminated.
3. Release key to the 'ON/Accessory' Position. (DO NOT turn key to the 'off' position, DO NOT remove the key.)
4. Allow the vehicle to sit with the key in the 'ON/Accessory' Position for no less than 11 minutes (the security light should stop flashing, if not wait up to 3 more minutes).
5. Turn key to off position and allow the vehicle to remain in the 'OFF' position for no less than 30 seconds.
6. Repeat #1 - #5 for 3 cycles.
7. On 4th-5th attempt, car should start.

NOTE : Since this is a fairly long procedure, I would limit all electrical sources, such as disconnecting headlights, to prevent discharge of battery.

NOTE 2 : It is SAFE to wait LONGER than the allotted time, but it is not safe to wait less time. I.e. 12 minutes instead of 11 minutes should be safe; however, waiting 10 minutes instead of 11 minutes is not safe.

Properly executed, this procedure should take approximately 35 minutes to complete.

Last edited by plumbob; 05-20-2016 at 05:51 PM.