Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

05 SS monte Carlo - Steering Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Default 05 SS monte Carlo - Steering Noise

Hi,
I have a 2005 SS monte carlo Supercharged and when I am driving and have to turn left, I hear a loud whining sound. It might do it turning right also but not as loud. It seems to be coming from the passenger side. I thought maybe power steering (I cant even find the reservoir anyway) but it doesn't do it while I am stopped and turn the wheel. Only while I am driving. Any ideas???

Old 09-12-2009, 02:00 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

could be a bearing, if you notice it turning left it's your right side. And vice-versa

What's the noise sound like?

Old 09-12-2009, 09:34 PM

it sounds like a grinding noise.....The car only has 25,000 miles one it.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:25 AM

I noticed this on my 04 SC/SS, when i turn left or right it does not matter, i get a noise that sounds like not a grinding but it is more of a whining noise. It does it intermittently, not all the times. I notice it alot in the cold mornings, sometimes it also does it while the car is hot and been running for awhile. According the the manual the power steering reservoir is under the alternator. I have never seen it myself but in the morning ill take a look and see what i can find.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:38 AM

The reason I dont think it is wheel bearings is it seems to make the noise more along the lines with engine rpm then with the speed of the car. IE: Turning, throw the car in neutral, the noise diminishes. in gear, throttle up and down while turning, the noise goes up and down with the throttle. The reason I don't think it is the power steering is because it doesn't do it while the car is stopped and i turn the wheel, which should put the power steering under more stress. I am not that familiar with front wheel dirve cars since this is my first one, but is there like a universal joint or something that might be going out?

Old 09-13-2009, 09:58 AM

I was thinking more power steering because mine does make the noise when i have the car stopped and i turn the wheel. I can only hear it when the car is going slow usually <20 mph.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:14 AM

How do I check the power steering fluid? I looked everywhere. I even looked in the manual but where it says it is (near upper front drivers side motor mount) there is nothing there. I follow the hoses but they don't lead to a reservoir or dip stick. Anyone know???

Also, another problem I am having is inside the car when I turn, I hear water slushing around under the dash, passenger side. I am thinking it is the heater core but why does it sound like water is slushing around? Almost like the radiator is not full, but it is. Weird....

Old 09-14-2009, 10:32 AM

I hope this helps!

Old 09-14-2009, 12:03 PM

i would also like to add, that filling this is a pain in the rear... you will need a long funnel for this to work out (w/out spilling 80% down the side of your engine)

Old 09-14-2009, 04:04 PM

Holy Crap!!!! I can't even see it hardly let alone get my hand down there to unscrew the lid and check the fluid level. I will have to find a neighborhood 5 year old kid to see if he can get his arm down there.

Thanks for the picture, its pretty unmistakable where it is located thanks to that....

Quick Reply: 05 SS monte Carlo - Steering Noise