Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

'02 Monte SS earnhardt oil pressure ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 05:59 AM
Question '02 Monte SS earnhardt oil pressure ??

I just purchased an '02 Earnhardt edition Monte. I have a question that might make me sound like an idiot, but my oil pressure is causing me some worry. The pressure fluctuates quite a bit when as the engine RPMs change. I've only had the car a few days and want to know if this normal for this car, or do i need to get it looked at? Also, on occasion the guage will not work when I start the engine; but if I turn it off and start the engine again it will start working again. I'm guessing there is an electrical problem somewhere? Or does this mean there is a bigger problem? Anybody had problems like that with their 3800? Any suggestions would be helpfull.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:39 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum.

It is normal for oil pressure to fluctuate with engine rpm, but if your gauge is unresponsive at times you may have a problem with it. From what I've read on the forum the stepper motor(s) that operate the gauges can be problematic.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Is the gauge around halfway on start up, and as you accelerate can get up to 3/4?

That is normal.

If the gauge isn't working, the sensor is on the oil pan, not a hard swap.

If the gauge is going erratic like stated above, then it's the stepper motor. But that will meant he oil pressure is upside down and not in a zone haha

Old 08-31-2012, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Is the gauge around halfway on start up, and as you accelerate can get up to 3/4?

That is normal.

If the gauge isn't working, the sensor is on the oil pan, not a hard swap.

If the gauge is going erratic like stated above, then it's the stepper motor. But that will meant he oil pressure is upside down and not in a zone haha
Thanks all; This infomation is a big help. I'm thinking that my stepper motor is starting to get bad. That makes me feel better than having an oil pressure problem.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:46 PM

I just bought a 2003 Monte Carlo SS, it has 80,000 miles on it. I have noticed the oil gauge will fluctuate, at idle it will be just a hair below half and when I accelerate it goes up to about 3/4 of the way. I took it up to the used dealer where I bought it they did some kind of test on it telling me it was fine and these kind of car's do this, its normal. The car is driving good, knock on wood. Is this normal?????

Old 02-04-2014, 11:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Gloria Lincoln-Thompson
I just bought a 2003 Monte Carlo SS, it has 80,000 miles on it. I have noticed the oil gauge will fluctuate, at idle it will be just a hair below half and when I accelerate it goes up to about 3/4 of the way. I took it up to the used dealer where I bought it they did some kind of test on it telling me it was fine and these kind of car's do this, its normal. The car is driving good, knock on wood. Is this normal?????
That's the oil pressure, as you accelerate the pressure gets higher. That's normal.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:51 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

Yes, it is normal for that to happen with the oil pressure.......

Last edited by The_Maniac; 02-05-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:34 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's a simple question guys. All you had to say is yes. We don't all know everything.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:23 AM

Update: The oil pressure problem I was having was caused by a faulty electrical circuit for the oil pressure sending unit. It was an easy fix once I was able to locate where the problem was.

Originally Posted by PetersonCK
Thanks all; This infomation is a big help. I'm thinking that my stepper motor is starting to get bad. That makes me feel better than having an oil pressure problem.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:33 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by Gloria Lincoln-Thompson
Hi Gloria, Your description of how the oil gauge is responding does sound normal for these vehicles. There is a lot of helpful information in the owner's manual. If you don't have one you can download a copy of it from here:

http://www.gm.ca/media/owners/manual...nual_en_CA.pdf

Enjoy your Monte Carlo...

Quick Reply: '02 Monte SS earnhardt oil pressure ??