Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

00 SS 127,645 mi, What should I do...

Old 03-15-2008, 06:44 PM
Default 00 SS 127,645 mi, What should I do...

Ok guys, I had my baby for about a year. I done nothing to her at all except for regular maintance.Yall will be with me throughout this whole upgrade process.Im open to suggestions on everything, so just to let you knowIm about to:

Paint her
Replace the transmission because its slipping
Figure out a cheap resolution to enhance the interior, I would like to replace it with leathe or vinyl
Decide on what mods I need for my engine!!!!!!!
Put some shoes (rims)on her 20 or 22s.
*But this is my question for this area, I have 127k mi on her, I want to put 20, or22s on her ok but my question is with this many miles is it worthwhileadding mods to it at this point......?!!!!!!

Old 03-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Default RE: 00 SS 127,645 mi, What should I do...

hard to say do you know how well maintained prior to you?the tranny yes i would deff have that checked out,i wouldFIRST take care of any engine maintenence make sure everything is in great condition,then look into paint,rimsetc...the 3800 are excellent motors seems like the sky is the limit when putting miles on them.250,000,300,000 maybe more

Old 03-15-2008, 08:08 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Forget the 22's, and go with 18's or 20's. Get your tranny fixed 1st. If it needs rebuilding, MAKE SURE THEY USE ALL AFTERMARKET PARTS, AND A HARDENED HUB! Forget about factory parts, as the tran's from that era were crap. I went thru 3 myself. All in '01's.
Why does it need painting? Automatic car washes?
Used leather seats are affordable, and readily available.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:56 PM

ORIGINAL: jay26

hard to say do you know how well maintained prior to you?the tranny yes i would deff have that checked out,i wouldFIRST take care of any engine maintenence make sure everything is in great condition,then look into paint,rimsetc...the 3800 are excellent motors seems like the sky is the limit when putting miles on them.250,000,300,000 maybe more

It was well maintained, Im going to get that checked out now, and these are great engines but dam diddnt know those engines could get that much, after further studying and since I need one anyway, 1. I really want a performance tranny or at least a supped up one.... any suggestions man? and 2. Considering that is was well keep would you now advise me to add mods to an engine with this many mi.?

Old 03-16-2008, 12:07 AM

ORIGINAL: RocknSS04

Forget the 22's, and go with 18's or 20's. Get your tranny fixed 1st. If it needs rebuilding, MAKE SURE THEY USE ALL AFTERMARKET PARTS, AND A HARDENED HUB! Forget about factory parts, as the tran's from that era were crap. I went thru 3 myself. All in '01's.
Why does it need painting? Automatic car washes?
Used leather seats are affordable, and readily available.
Forget 22s[] dam, man I really wanted those things. I know youre referring to the mpg and overall suspension but there has to be a way I can do those man, 20s look really small LOL. Why did you say forget them? And thanks Ill make sure they will, but as I stated to Jay26 I would like a more powerful tranny if possible... Im getting it painted this Beautiful 2tone color one its chipping on the front and two just to enhance overall appearance as a whole... Leather seats, wow now were talking but from where?

Old 03-16-2008, 02:20 AM

im not to knowledgeable on trannys but you could go to a hd tranny that are in the 04-05 supercharged montes unless im wrong there are a few sites but i dont know off hand well post if i find.what engine mods are you planning?i feel the same way about my 20's they were cool a few years back but they just look to small now.if your going for alot of performance with the engine mods then its pointless to do 22's or even 20's,18's are the way to go,but if your like me idoing mild engine mods cause im not looking for areal fast roadster and all in all it is a fwd! i need my car for a longtime.i would do 22's hey it looks good and its your money.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:58 AM

the reason why so many of us here are against 22's is we ask "whats practical about 22's?" I mean, you need to go through extra work to get them to fit, plus you will at some point need to worry about rubbing, if not all the time. I have a good 150+ pounds of speakers/boxes/amps in the back of mine, and I know there NO way I wouldnt rub witout getting new shocks, struts, ect. I wouldnt go more than 20's. if your worried about them looking small, get adjustable shocks and lower it down and get rid of the gap in the wheel well!

Old 03-16-2008, 09:48 PM

ORIGINAL: jay26

im not to knowledgeable on trannys but you could go to a hd tranny that are in the 04-05 supercharged montes unless im wrong there are a few sites but i dont know off hand well post if i find.what engine mods are you planning?i feel the same way about my 20's they were cool a few years back but they just look to small now.if your going for alot of performance with the engine mods then its pointless to do 22's or even 20's,18's are the way to go,but if your like me idoing mild engine mods cause im not looking for areal fast roadster and all in all it is a fwd! i need my car for a longtime.i would do 22's hey it looks good and its your money.
Jay26, MY MAN! Man Im down south for now yo and I just want a nice looking V! These guys do big rims down here yaknow, and Im 2toning it ya know and I already figured prior to posting all of my inquiries that in order for me to push 22s I would need some minor engine mods! Im researching still yet on the Mods that I need, I dont want alot of performance,I just want more HP so If I do go 22s it wouldnt be a strain on the engine...(And Guys Im fully aware of the mpg, brake-rotor, andsuspension upgrades that Ill need I read the Dangers of Dubs 20 inch + Poll : ) https://montecarloforum.com/m_62295/tm.htm)Thats why I asked about the hd tranny.....

Old 03-17-2008, 01:22 AM

Just remember to do it right if you're going to put the money into this car. I had 305,000 on my '89 Buick with a 3.8L. it's worth it.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:00 PM

if your having tranny problems i would definately look into that first...

but as far as the engine.... as long as its in okay shape i dont see why you couldnt do 22's

i know quite a few people doing 22's and 24's here in st louis with the 3400 engine in their grand prix's and monte carlos with no problems....

the 3800 should push almost any FWD rims with no issues...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 00 SS 127,645 mi, What should I do...