Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Wheel cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 01:16 AM
Default Wheel cleaner?

I was talking to a guy who works at a auto detailing shop and he was telling me some of their tricks. One was how they get chrome/polished alum wheels to shine. I remember he said it was some kind of an acid that they spay on the wheel and just wash off and that this was nothing you could buy in a automotive store. Then they have a true showroom shine with no work at all. Cuz I don't know about you guys but when I polish my wheels it easily takes over an hour. So does anyone know what this could be or where to get it?

Old 04-04-2008, 06:11 AM
Default RE: Wheel cleaner?

[align=center]Hi Tackett,[/align][align=center]Did you ask the detailer where you can get[/align][align=center]the product that he is using.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]On Wheels, I use the below, hope it helps[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]What is the best and safest way to clean my wheels?
[:-]
[/align]
[align=center]
Use the correct wheel cleaner[/align][align=center][:-]
The best and safest way to remove brake dust, dirt, and road grime from wheels is to match the type of wheel cleaner to the type of wheel you're cleaning. Using the wrong wheel cleaner can lead to discoloring, dulling, and permanent staining. When in doubt, contact the wheel manufacture and ask them for their recommendations.
When cleaning neglected or extremely dirty wheels with extra heavy build-up of brake dust and road grime, instead of relying solely on a chemical cleaner for its cleaning power, boost the power of your wheel cleaner by using either a soft wheel brush or quality household paint brush.
When it comes to cleaning extremely dirty wheels, many people seek-out an extra strong wheel cleaner to do all of the work, when all the extra strength they really need can be found in their arms.
Don't make the mistake of trying to take the easy way out by resorting to an extra strength cleaner that can potentially damage your wheels because it's too strong. This is a common mistake people make when they rely on cleaners that are too strong, or use common under the sink multi-purpose cleaners that were never intended for use on their particular wheel surface.
Twice is Nice
[/align][align=center][:-]
Instead of using a more aggressive and potentially harmful cleaner on your car's wheels, try cleaning your wheels twice using a soft bristle wheel brush. Even a high quality household paintbrush along with a little extra elbow grease will help you get you wheels clean easily and safely.
Your first wheel cleaning will remove a majority of the built up brake dust and road grime. This will allow the next application of wheel cleaner to go right to work on the built-up brake dust and road grime that was underneath the first layer.
By using a high quality wheel brush or a household paintbrush, you will effectively agitate the built-up brake dust and road grime enabling the wheel cleaning chemicals to penetrate, loosen, and break their grip on the surface of your wheels. A second application will only take a few extra minutes and it will do a much better job of safely cleaning your wheels, versus trying to get the job done quickly with only one application.
Of course, as Barry always says, "Frequent car care is easy car care". This goes for cleaning wheels too. Washing your car often and thoroughly cleaning your wheels each time you wash your car, including all of the nooks and crannies, will prevent excessive brake dust and road grime from building up in the first place. Applying a protective coating of either a Meguiar’s NXT Generation® All Metal Polysh, or Meguiar’s All Metal Polish (for uncoated, polished wheels), or any Meguiar’s premium wax or paint protectant (for coated, or factory painted wheels) to insure cleaning your wheels is fast and easy.
In an effort to h

Old 04-04-2008, 07:33 AM

Honestly... I just spray any type on my wheels but I think the trick is to rub it in even is it says just let it sit and it'll be clean just rub it in and it'll shine it up. That's what I do.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:44 AM

Take a Mother`s power wheel and some Bush`s Wheel polish to `em. Works real nice.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:26 PM

REMEBER WHAT EVER YOU DO MAKE SURE YOU USE A SOFT BRUSH!!!!

On chrome wheel sif you use anythign to scratchy it is will cause them to scratch the wheels and over time they will keep dust in them and cause it to look dirty more easily and also will cause the chrome to look stained or dirty all the time.

As faras Acid im not sure of any that can be actually used on Chrome with out having a adverse effect on it over time.

we always just used Soap and water on them then we would make sure we dryed them off asap after the car was washed. and made sure that while washing the car we would keep them wet this also would help to make sur ehte soap was off the wheels

but for polishes etc... Im sure they might even have wheel polishes etc...

http://www.fk1usa.com/products-professional.htm
try that site. they sell the high temp stuff and also some others but they are Pro. waxes etc...

Old 04-04-2008, 06:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

And find out of your rims are PLASTIC COATED.

Many factory wheels that came out in the last 30 years have a plastic coating to keep them from oxidizing.

These only need to be washed with gentle soap. Once the plastic turns yellow, there is nothing you can do but strip the plastic by sandblasting and polish and coat the exposed alloy.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:42 PM

Yeah it's Wheel Acid, I use it all the time and it works great, Gets the Yellow marks from brake dust off the rims like nothing (even if it's been left on for months). And yes he's right, you can't buy it in stores, I only get to use it at work, but I clean my own car at work anyways (I'm a Car detailer)

Outside of using wheel acid, I use Mothers Wheel cleaner, comes in a yellow spray bottle, I've got 2 bottles of it and haven't seen it since, and it works amazingly, I use it on my motorcycles chrome rims also and they come out great.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:46 PM

i used to detail also but we never used the wheel acid on them . But wasent saying anyone was wrong just that i haddent seen it. but would love ot find out what it is if it is safe for chrome wheels and i dont have to polish and scrub on mine

Old 04-04-2008, 08:06 PM

I don't think you can buy it in stores

But yes it's safe for chrome rims, Polished Aluminum rims you have to be careful on how long you leave it on the rim, and the rim has to be kept wet. If I had polished rims I wouldn't use it, I'd just use rim cleaner, why take the chance? But it works very well on every other rim and chrome rims

Old 04-05-2008, 05:29 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

They told you you can't buy it in stores so you won't look.

I do'nt know the name.. and ti's rainy so I don't feel like going out in the garage and finding it for you, but my dad uses a strong acid with a label saying "Chrome and Aluminium Cleaner", and it has a pruple label and comes in a bottle like they use for bleach. He puts it in a pumper, sprays it on his fuel tanks, and pressure washes it off. They come out clean every time. Tahts what they are using.

Quick Reply: Wheel cleaner?