Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

WHAT THE F......

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- December 2007
Default WHAT THE F......

Ok, I bought the best of the Best Terry Cloth Towels, like $12 to $14 a towel. I cut all the edges off, I wash in hot water, rinsed in cold and tumble dry them by themselve. I thensnap them a few times make them soft.

I washed the car, then used a high speed orbitor with cleaner polish, then NXT tech. It looked great. To finish it, I took out one of my towels and with Quick Detail, I sprayed a spot and wipe it off and then notice a thousand very fine scratches. What the HECK?

Old 09-16-2007, 04:45 PM
Default RE: WHAT THE F......

OUCH!!! Did you see them before hand? Could it have been from a previous polish and now this one just reveiled them?

Old 09-16-2007, 05:37 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- December 2007

No... I am very carful. I do everything in small sections, and analyze my work. That is why these scratches are limited to just the top of my rear quater panel.

They are very fine. A wax cleaner will remove them, but how does a freshly cleaned towel (100% cotton loop, 100% cotton backing, high thread count) scratch

Old 09-16-2007, 06:27 PM

I got that same problem .... These manufactures clam that their cloths won't scratch, etc. but I highly doubt it's true ... Then again my car was a used car so who knows what it's been through even before I got it ... I find a new group of scratches everytime I wash my car ... Black shows everything and is very unforgiving i think

Old 09-16-2007, 07:15 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

wow, it hurt me just to read that. thats why i woudln't want a black car. can't hide ANYTHING on one.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:23 AM

While I will agree that black shows alot, I will also point out that WE are our biggest critics. Most people don't see your little scratches that only you know are on your left side quarter panel. Or those little scratches on your hood. Not to mention that a local touch up by a pro shouldn't cost you more than 500 bucks. I personally plan on having alot of mine touched up next spring, after the harshness of winter is over. I feel for you, but realize that you are probably the ONLY person noticing all of those little tiny scratches... The rest of the people in your area are in AWE of the awesomeness of a black SS.

-Keegan

Old 09-17-2007, 12:26 AM

guys in our detail shop are runnin foam pads only for buff/polish/waxing nowdays and only clean em up with 3m wax rags. i hear the best buff job isa 4 step process, first a wool pad, and then 3 stages of foam pads, each softer than the last... of course thats alot of work, so no car through our shop ever gets more than a bad spot ran through 4 steps... more often its either just a wax, or the finish buffing foam pad anda wax.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:32 AM

Oh yah, one more thing.... Most people don't have enough time at a redlight to see your scratches... all they are going to be seeing is your taillights.

-Keegan

Old 09-17-2007, 07:05 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

with black you have to be very careful which clothes you pick, anything will leave little marks in black...you will find a good cloth one of these days, but its just trial and error, personally i've had very good luck with the 3m ones been using them for about 6-7 years