Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Detailing (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/detailing-10/)
-   -   Opinion Needed: What do you use to dry your vehicles? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/detailing-10/what-do-you-use-dry-your-vehicles-53037/)

12cemudd 05-01-2015 11:01 AM

What do you use to dry your vehicles?

I use a wet chamois cloth, but I'm beginning to wonder if all that contact is good for the endurance of the paint. Does anyone use an air blower to dry their car? If so, does it dry the car well without causing water spots?
Thanks!

ChibiBlackSheep 05-01-2015 11:13 AM

I like using BIG waffle weave towels. It's less rubbing and more blotting with them.

Theoretically there shouldn't be anything on the paint as the car is clean, so rubbing slightly shouldn't harm it.

crazyzach722 05-01-2015 11:48 AM

I use microfiber towels. They seem to dry it really well.

tweek 05-01-2015 11:58 AM

I use the absorber to dry my car. I have used a leaf blower but it just does not blow the air fast enough to dry everything, you have to get it real close to the car and im too cheap to buy the airforce master blaster

nitehawkjcb 05-01-2015 01:33 PM

I use a chamois, and the wind while cruising when I get tired of using the chamois

BeachBumMike 05-01-2015 01:48 PM

http://outdoorpowerbuddy.com/wp-cont...lower-worx.jpg
I use a High Powered Leaf Blower (it gets all the water from the doors/hood/trunk seams/wheels well & wheels) & if you have a good wax job, there's little to absorb with a chamois or micro fiber towel(s)

Leprechaun93 05-01-2015 04:01 PM

I use one of those super absorber towel things, probably not the best option as its alot of contact with the paint, but it works pretty good. Usually the best bet is a nice big microfiber towel or something similar.

ZIPPY02 05-01-2015 07:54 PM

Microfiber towels here. I see the waffle weave style, never have used them. Might have to score a couple and give them a try. It's just Sam's Club and COSTCO sell the 36 pack of micro's for about $15 and I usually trash a few each time I work on the car.

P343 05-01-2015 08:36 PM

I use micro fiber towels on mine. But I like BBMikes idea!!! LOL

drivernumber3 05-01-2015 11:52 PM

California Car Duster makes a Blade ( water Blade) similar to what a Squeegee will do and you just glide it over the surface of the water covered car, and it removes the water. Then I follow up with the Micro-fiber towel, it works. The Works blower is advertised to do the trick also? but I don't know for sure as I have not tested it. :thumbsup:

Mels SS 05-02-2015 07:47 AM

Airforce Masterblaster then whats left Adams drying towel. Remember the more you touch your paint the more chances you have to get micro scratches and swirls marks.
Microfiber Drying Towel | White Microfiber Towels

STUMPMI 05-02-2015 08:43 AM

This is what I use 1 swipe and its dry to the touch...
Its like a water magnet!
http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/...34900-dual.jpg

Merely lay it flat on the car and watch the water disappear!
Best thing ive used yet... It worked espescially well at the Monte Nats as we had a cpl overnites of rain.. It worked fast and easy.
I got mine at Oreilys.:thumbsup:

06mistreSS 05-02-2015 09:12 AM

I run water straight out of the hose over the car to get rid of water beads/excess water. Microfiber towels for drying.

drivernumber3 05-02-2015 09:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by drivernumber3 (Post 660394)
California Car Duster makes a Blade ( water Blade) similar to what a Squeegee will do and you just glide it over the surface of the water covered car, and it removes the water. Then I follow up with the Micro-fiber towel, it works. The Works blower is advertised to do the trick also? but I don't know for sure as I have not tested it. :thumbsup:

Update with a photo.:thumbsup::ttiwwp:

ZIPPY02 05-02-2015 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by drivernumber3 (Post 660488)
Update with a photo.:thumbsup::ttiwwp:

Nice, the Water Blade is quite useful. Works well!! :cool:

02ssintimidator 05-02-2015 05:13 PM

I use the microfiber.

ohara 05-03-2015 08:06 PM

I use a sham wow, yup I fell victim to the infomercial

02ssintimidator 05-05-2015 12:15 AM

Hey, as long as it works right Ken? It does work pretty good right? You would only be a victim of the Infomercial if it didn't work.

rexdews 05-05-2015 02:22 AM

I have the Coba Guzzler waffle weave mf. I like using it because its big, making it easy to dry wide surfaces in one wipe.

12cemudd 05-16-2015 10:55 AM

Thanks to everyone for chiming in! I will give these a try, and let you all know what works the best for me.

KingWord 05-16-2015 05:39 PM

my mom and aunt ran a detail shop for a few years and started using regular news papers for the windows,it doesn't streak or leave water spots,i wouldn't recommend them on paint though

they used some type of sheep skin material to dry the car it works well but I fell as if its too rough

tweek 05-20-2015 05:05 PM

I mentioned that I use a leaf blower but I keep finding myself going back to using "the absorber XL" I cut it in 2 half is my wash mitt the other half is for drying. The stuff soaks up soo much water.

AwesomeSS 05-20-2015 09:45 PM

Sometimes the AbsorberXL and sometimes Griot's Garage's drying towels.

KCFITZ78 08-04-2015 11:50 PM

+1 for California water blade and I follow up with wet chamois

mikeV25 08-05-2015 05:10 PM

I'm an auto detailer by profession, and what we do, if not using a wax-as-you-dry product, is use a water blade and squeegee as much of the water off as you can, then follow up using micro fiber towels! Preferably large microfiber towels so that you can fold them a couple times and flip them over once a side gets wet. Microfiber is the preferred material since it can be washed after each use, and the fibers won't cause swirling. Chamois carry lots of excess debris and can cause swirling with further use. And if you're concerned about dripping, use an air compressor with a blow tip attachment and blow out all the panels/lights/seems to your liking! Works like a charm :)

KCFITZ78 08-05-2015 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by mikeV25 (Post 669703)
I'm an auto detailer by profession, and what we do, if not using a wax-as-you-dry product, is use a water blade and squeegee as much of the water off as you can, then follow up using micro fiber towels! Preferably large microfiber towels so that you can fold them a couple times and flip them over once a side gets wet. Microfiber is the preferred material since it can be washed after each use, and the fibers won't cause swirling. Chamois carry lots of excess debris and can cause swirling with further use. And if you're concerned about dripping, use an air compressor with a blow tip attachment and blow out all the panels/lights/seems to your liking! Works like a charm :)

At what pressure do you run the air compressor?

coolfonz 08-11-2015 01:36 PM

I just use microfiber normally. That Master Blaster looks awesome though.

Barovelli 08-11-2015 08:53 PM

Here in California water conservation enforcement posse will come down on you for washing the car. I've not done a proper wash in a couple months.

On foggy drippy mornings very early (when the water posse are busy filling their little buckets with the first 20 seconds of cold shower water they use to flush the commode once a day) I might take the hose to it before getting on the freeway and driving real fast.

Otherwise - the floppy water blade and a microfiber towel or two.

coolfonz 08-12-2015 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Barovelli (Post 670149)
Here in California water conservation enforcement posse will come down on you for washing the car. I've not done a proper wash in a couple months.

On foggy drippy mornings very early (when the water posse are busy filling their little buckets with the first 20 seconds of cold shower water they use to flush the commode once a day) I might take the hose to it before getting on the freeway and driving real fast.

Otherwise - the floppy water blade and a microfiber towel or two.

That's crazy. I'd have a rough time handling that, especially in Cali.

Mels SS 08-12-2015 08:36 AM

The more touch the surface of your vehicle the more chance of micro scratches and swirls even using microfibers add a lubricant detail spray.The way to avoid this is to use air pressure master plaster is the best and the air is filtered and heated but you can use and air compressor, leaf blower, what ever if you use a leaf blower do not use a gas powered one because of the exhaust it will be all of the paint. So here is a few more options. In my opinion never ever use a water blade it will cause micro scratches. So here are a few options.

mikeV25 09-04-2015 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by KCFITZ78 (Post 669709)
At what pressure do you run the air compressor?

90 psi should be plenty!

pob374 01-20-2016 08:09 AM

I like the Microfiber, it does a great job. And its relaxing....

Budsjlm 01-20-2016 11:48 AM

Depends on my location but usually flood the paint, folowed by waffle weave micro fiber

Scott_S 05-23-2016 01:42 PM

I must be in the minority, I let it air dry. :eek::o:rolleyes::(

I like to put a nice layer of meg's wax, sometimes multiple coats. I don't see any significant water marks, except the windows. I wash on a gravel drive, a blower would probably make a bigger mess :rotfl:.

sharpeezss 05-23-2016 01:47 PM

I use I20 at 80 mph;)

ChibiBlackSheep 05-23-2016 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Scott_S (Post 690133)
I must be in the minority, I let it air dry. :eek::o:rolleyes::(

You might have better water sources than we do also.

Scott_S 05-23-2016 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 690141)
You might have better water sources than we do also.

Could be :) I like to use a thin fan as a last pass to encourage as much as possible to run off. I tried a synthetic chamois last time and didn't see enough of a difference that would justify it's use over gravel.

jakefluker 05-23-2016 08:37 PM

I use the absorber first then microfiber.

Twlg 08-12-2016 04:21 PM

Used to use an air compressor and waffle weave microfiber. Have a leaf blower now, so I'll have to give that a try.

03vaderSS 08-13-2016 02:57 PM

microfiber rags