Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

What do you guys use on your leather?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 07:44 PM
Default What do you guys use on your leather?

I cleaned out my car today, the dash was getting a little dusty. I couldn't get into the shed to get my 3M Scotchguard leather/vinyl protectant so I ended up using Black Magic Protectant. It brought the black leather to life, but should I continue using it or use something else? Why or why not?

Old 07-24-2005, 06:10 AM
Default RE: What do you guys use on your leather?

belive it or not pledge. the furniture polish

i have never ever used anythign on my dash that has a alcohual base to it . They dry them out things like Armoral and son of a gun (same thing) tend to dry them out then they will crack over time.

Pledge can be used on anythign in the car to include the seats if you want but i leave the seats alone and use the mothers stuff for them

I will wipe the whole car down about once a month with the mothers wipes for lether,

The pledge works great on tinted windows also it reples dust so you dont have to do them as offten and also you can have a clean window with out scratching the tint.
also it gives some shine to the dash but not so much it blinds you . and as it gets hot it will melt in to the dash and keep it soft.

Old 07-24-2005, 05:09 PM

I purchased some Meguiars gold class leather cleaner with Aloe and love it..

Leather will dry out and loose it's natural oils over time and it is important to replentish those oils for longevity. Murphy's oil soap twice a year will also work very well.

Old 07-25-2005, 08:41 AM

i havent heard of that one yet LOL

what i would like to find is somethign that will allow the leather to fee3l softer . Right now feels more like vinal then leather to me

Old 07-25-2005, 10:51 AM

The only way to soften up leather is to replenish the oils.. Try the Murphy's Oil Soap... We deal with allot of aircraft leather seats and it's the only thing we use to clean/condition leather. Most leather by nature is rough pending its grade and thickness. I have seen some pretty nice synthetic leather that Continental Express uses on their aircraft called Ultra Leather that is very soft and durable.

Old 07-25-2005, 12:44 PM

ill give it a try the next time i wash the car but i just did it today and it is way to hot to try it now LOL

but i will go get some tonight and let you know how it gose. not sure if you have the lether seats or not in your monte but they just dont feel like lether to me.

The pledge on the dash dose a simular thing to it and keeps them soft but i used it on a seat once and about slid off under the dash when i stoped hard LOL

Old 07-26-2005, 04:17 AM

ORIGINAL: mickey

ill give it a try the next time i wash the car but i just did it today and it is way to hot to try it now LOL

but i will go get some tonight and let you know how it gose. not sure if you have the lether seats or not in your monte but they just dont feel like lether to me.

The pledge on the dash dose a simular thing to it and keeps them soft but i used it on a seat once and about slid off under the dash when i stoped hard LOL
I agree on the feel of the seats. The first thing my dad said when he got in my car, "you sure these seats are leather, not vinyl?" I would love for the seats to be as soft and supple as the shift boot. But oh well, it is what it is.