Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): What Compound and Wax to use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 03:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default What Compound and Wax to use?

Hay Folks,
As you know, or can see, I have an 02 Competition Yellow Monte SS. There are a couple of spots I need to compound a little and then I want to wax her up all Nice Nice for the Chatterbox Meet this Sunday.
The thing is, the last car I waxed was my Black Monte LS, 5TH Gen type back in 04. Plus all the cars I ever waxed were dark colors, Black BMW and S10 Blazer, Midnight Blue Firebird and Dark Maroon IRoc 350. And as I said, the last one was in 04.
My question is, should I be looking for a particular type/brand of rubbing Compound and Wax because of the color, or will any type do the job? I don't think I'm going to get a mirror finish out of her, But I would like to get her are close to Mirror Perfect as I can.
I want to do this next Saturday so she looks Fresh at the Meet on Sunday.
Anyone have any good suggestions on what I should use? Thanks for the help!

Old 08-12-2013, 11:05 PM

I have done a lot of research as well as a lot of testing for my business I'm starting and probably the best compound and polish I have tried, as well as what I see most people talk about on forums like autogeek.net, would have to be Meguiars M101 and M105. You can pick both up at Auto zone, O'rileys, etc. They both work best with a machine polisher such as the Griot's garage 6" polisher, Porter cable 7424, Flex 3401, etc. If you have a machine I would use it for sure as it will be really hard to do any kind of paint repair and on top of that it takes absolutely forever and a day to compound and polish a car by hand. If you don't have one I would recommend getting one just so you have it for times like this when you want your Monte to look it's best. The Porter cable isn't to expensive but can repair really any paint. It's just not as strong and fast as something like the Griot's garage or the Flex 3401. As far as wax goes, I have tried a lot of those as well. As far as wax goes, there is a wax at autozone as well as other stores like that by meguiars that comes in a tin, I can not for the life of me think of me think of what it is called. But it is pretty much the only thing by megs that they carry that comes in a tin (it is a paste carnauba wax). Now if you want a Paint sealant, I have had some good results with Megs NXT 2.0 is pretty good. With something like carnauba wax, you will get a really deep glow with a lot of depth and that nice wet look. With something like a paint sealant you will still get a decent wet look with some depth. But you will get way more protection with a sealant as it just last longer and holds up to hot temperatures better and doesn't burn off like carnauba waxes. If you want to get it ready for a car show then I would say go with a carnauba wax as you will get more depth and your paint will pop a little more and it only takes about 20 minutes to apply by hand if you take your time. Hope this helps you out.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member

Thank you iMuf! I have used Carnuba waxes before. They worked pretty good in my dark cars. I just wasn't sure if they would work good on the light colored car. Unfortunately, my Buffer went away the same time as my 98 LS, so I'm gonna be doing it by hand. But I did a stint as Limousine detailer, they liked my work. But you can imagine what it's like to detaila limo! Some things I have to learn, some I have to remember, it's been a long time!
Thanks for the heads up! I'll check out those products!

Old 08-14-2013, 10:24 PM

Since it is getting close to the weekend, see if you can find Surf City Garage products locally. In MN they have them at PepBoys. I would use the beyond clay after a good wash to get your paint contaminant free, no reason to rub dirt in when you compound. They also have a nice selection of products to remove swirls/clear defects & good paste wax. If you want a show shine go look at Adam's Premium Car Care - Cleaners, Waxes and Polishes Made in the USA they have the best products I have ever used. In addition they do have a forum for help & a ton of how to videos.

Not sure how far Norwood, NJ is from you as there is an Adam's dealer there that stocks everything you need for a perfect shine. Check them out and if it is close they will give you advice to get you to where you are trying to get the car to.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/

Here is the trunk of my Dale Jr with Adam's shine

Attached Thumbnails What Compound and Wax to use?-image.jpg  

Last edited by RonBoySS; 08-14-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:33 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Old 08-15-2013, 01:38 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member

I only use Adams products if you want the best.
Adam's Premium Car Care - Cleaners, Waxes and Polishes Made in the USA

Old 08-15-2013, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member

Wow, There is a lot out there, I have to keep in mind that I only have a day, This Saturday, to make her as Pretty as she can be. The other night, Fool that I am, I parked her under a tree. The Sparrows had a Poop fest on my Passenger side. So I took her to the local Hand Wash and paid for the Premium Wash. When they were done drying her I saw WATER STAINS on my Hood, Then today, I noticed some Dull spots on the Roof. I know she is 11 yrs and 173000 miles old, but the paint looks pretty OK, Like it can be saved. No Cracks or Swirl marks. But I only have a day!

Old 08-15-2013, 11:47 PM

Wash with a dove soap mixture, clay the surface, use a fine polish and then wax. Would estimate that this is a 6-8 hour process by hand. Check out the link www.detailersdomain.com give them a call to discuss your needs. As Mel states above if you want the best use Adam's. they have the car shampoo, clay, detail spray, revive polish and Americana wax to make your car pop like never before. I have had so many compliments on a 10 year old truck & 9 year old car, most people think they are both a year or two old.

Good luck and have fun!

Old 08-16-2013, 10:31 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member

This is my 1996 Pontiac Grand Prix original Paint and only Adams

Name:  GTP020.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  99.5 KB

Name:  GTP019.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  107.6 KB

Name:  GTP017.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  136.2 KB

Name:  GTP016-1.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  107.6 KB

Name:  GTP014.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  129.9 KB

Name:  IMAG1428_zps2633043f.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  105.4 KB

See you can keep and older car better than New.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:12 PM

hi my name is fred iam new to this forum have you guys every tryed a product call autoglym is a really good product i use it in my auto detailing business the high gloss wax works really well

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): What Compound and Wax to use?