Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Water Spots?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 05:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Water Spots?

Ever since i got this car i've always had a huge issue with water spots when i wash at home. No matter how/when i wash, i always seem to end up with bad spots. Usually i run to the nearest self wash bay and use the spot free rinse, but thats getting old. Is there a certain method i can use? Or are there any attachments i can get for my hose at home?

Old 08-20-2014, 09:26 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Old 08-20-2014, 10:08 PM

After you wash get some wipe and shine (I use eagle one) and some soft pads and wipe it down. It will be looking great when its finished.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:18 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

You must not be drying at all when you're at home?

Wash panel by panel, drying each or at least keeping them wet the whole time, then dry.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:57 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It definitely looks like the soap is drying while you wash. Or it's really bad hard water.

When do you wash? Try in the shade / at like 8am or 8pm. Get out there when the car isn't already hot from the sun.

Wash small sections at a time, and fully rinse.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:18 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
Ever since i got this car i've always had a huge issue with water spots when i wash at home. No matter how/when i wash, i always seem to end up with bad spots. Usually i run to the nearest self wash bay and use the spot free rinse, but thats getting old. Is there a certain method i can use? Or are there any attachments i can get for my hose at home?

Washing a Black car is a Challenge but so is Red, drk blue, etc. Were I live we have extremely hard water 40k grains hard. And it eats the faucets inside the house. I have a softener for the inside but not out side water. Not sure how you are washing the car.
But I use a carwash product you get at Walmart or an auto parts store. Liquid put into the bucket of water, then I use a hand mop(fuzzy glove) to apply this to a wet car, I do the front section first and work my way back, I rinse all the time. Don't wash in direct sun only in the shade, sometimes I will drive it into the garage to wipe it down, I use the eagle one wet dry spray product, and a Turkish towel to wipe it off. I also use a wash Blade, this is a silicone blade about 12 inches long with a handle, I squeegee the big stuff off and then use the spray wax and the towel. this has helped to eliminate the water spots. You should also have a good wax on the car that would help prevent this from occurring. I also use RainX on my windshield this helps prevent the water spots and works great driving in the rain. you don't need to use the wipers, I have shocked some passengers, driving in a downpour and not using the wipers only the Rainx. I will try to get a photo of the squeegee blade I use.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
Washing a Black car is a Challenge but so is Red, drk blue, etc. Were I live we have extremely hard water 40k grains hard. And it eats the faucets inside the house. I have a softener for the inside but not out side water. Not sure how you are washing the car.
But I use a carwash product you get at Walmart or an auto parts store. Liquid put into the bucket of water, then I use a hand mop(fuzzy glove) to apply this to a wet car, I do the front section first and work my way back, I rinse all the time. Don't wash in direct sun only in the shade, sometimes I will drive it into the garage to wipe it down, I use the eagle one wet dry spray product, and a Turkish towel to wipe it off. I also use a wash Blade, this is a silicone blade about 12 inches long with a handle, I squeegee the big stuff off and then use the spray wax and the towel. this has helped to eliminate the water spots. You should also have a good wax on the car that would help prevent this from occurring. I also use RainX on my windshield this helps prevent the water spots and works great driving in the rain. you don't need to use the wipers, I have shocked some passengers, driving in a downpour and not using the wipers only the Rainx. I will try to get a photo of the squeegee blade I use.
Blade Drying Flexi Car Auto Wash Water Brush Cleaner Shaver
here is an ebay listing of what I use to get the water off the car. This works so good and every body that uses mine doesn't want to return it.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:32 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

My problem is i don't really have enough free time to choose when to wash, i wash when i can and its often the middle of the day. Even when i've washed on cloudy days i still get spots, but not as bad.

The picture above is a fully rinsed hood, there was no soap dried or anything. I really dont want to have to dry the car and chase spots all afternoon. After some research i think i'm going to build my own spot free system and see how that goes. I'd love to be able to rinse the car and be done.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
My problem is i don't really have enough free time to choose when to wash, i wash when i can and its often the middle of the day. Even when i've washed on cloudy days i still get spots, but not as bad.
Doesn't matter if it's cloudy or not. Touch the paint with the back of your hand, if it's warm, it's going to be a tough wash day. You really can't wash a whole car at a time, I do the roof, rinse. Hood, rinse, trunk, rinse, door, rinse, front fender rinse, etc. etc.

The whole time I rinse, I'm also hitting the whole car with water lol. That's the only way I can get a spotfree black car.

Or on the days that you need to wash in the middle of the day, and the car isn't really that filthy, a rinseless car wash is a great thing to have on you.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member

You cant let the water dry on the car get it off the surface ASAP. You need to purchase a masterblaster.
Drying Your Car With Master Blaster Car Dryer | Auto Detail

Quick Reply: Water Spots?