Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Towel Care

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
Default Towel Care

I have seen alot of talk about microfiber towels, and when web surfin i came accross some things to no.

Caring For Microfiber . . .

Microfiber towels can be very expensive and are a very important detailing accessory. Proper microfiber care can extend the life of your towels and keep them soft and absorbent. Here are a few rules to caring for your microfiber towels:

1. Avoid dropping your microfiber on the ground. Microfiber is very “grabby” and whatever dirt it picks up is often difficult to remove from its knap even after washing.

2. Wash your microfiber after each use.

3. Always wash your microfiber separately from any other type of fabric to avoid picking up lint from the other fabrics.

4. Never use bleach as it will eventually stiffen the towel’s fibers.

5. Never use fabric softener as it will clog up the knap of the towel making it less absorbent.

6. Use a detergent with that does not contain perfumes, bleach, fabric softener, or a wrinkle releaser. You can also use a dedicated microfiber detergent like Micro-Restore, Pinnacle Micro Rejuvenator, or Sons Der Wunder Wasche.

7. Always wash your towels in warm or hot water as this will help to remove polish & wax residue from the towel.

8. Adding vinegar to the rinse cycle can help to release any remaining residues on the towel.

9. Store your microfiber in an enclosed container where it will not accumulate dust or get dirty.

I wanted to add this for all Car Bra owners

Using a Car Bra . . .

It is not advised that you use a vinyl bra on the front of your car. Dirt often gets trapped under a car bra and can rub against the paint resulting in scratches. Also, vinyl car bras are not made of a breathable material. This traps moisture in between the car bra and the paint. Eventually, the moisture will migrate into the paint resulting in the paint looking foggy. If you do insist on using a vinyl bra on your car, remove it often and clean away any dirt trapped behind it. Also, remove it whenever you wash the car or whenever the car becomes wet. Alternatively, a clear bra which is adhered to the paint has none of these negative aspects.

Last edited by gothkid; 04-29-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:03 PM

thanks! I was looking to get a bra for my car this winter. I'm guessing clear is the way to go then!

Old 04-29-2010, 11:23 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by gothkid

1. Avoid dropping your microfiber on the ground. Microfiber is very “grabby” and whatever dirt it picks up is often difficult to remove from its knap even after washing.
I ALWAYS drop it in the dirt somehow. Sigh, or leaves get in it when Im waxing.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:39 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Enzo354
I ALWAYS drop it in the dirt somehow. Sigh, or leaves get in it when Im waxing.
It happends but to be sure look over the towl and shake it out, or grab a new one just to be safe.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by gothkid
It happends but to be sure look over the towl and shake it out, or grab a new one just to be safe.
Oh yea, I always shake the **** out of my microfibers. lol

Old 05-01-2010, 08:18 PM

lol, i buy packs from autozone.
They're inexpensive IMO.
and yeah, they tend to find their way to the ground lol

Old 05-02-2010, 12:16 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jomao_o
lol, i buy packs from autozone.
They're inexpensive IMO.
and yeah, they tend to find their way to the ground lol
Over a month that can add up tho where a wash and dry might have saved you money

Old 05-02-2010, 01:01 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i have more microfibers than i truely need i have droped afew and gotten a good amoumt of crap in them, that when they get demoted go oil rags

Old 05-02-2010, 01:13 PM

I'm not caring for my towels very well at all.... I just put them in with the other towels... I use softener and I break just about every other rule LOL

Old 05-02-2010, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member

Might wanna get some new ones and use those as interior rags

Quick Reply: Towel Care