Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

T TOP coming soon

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 06:51 PM
Default T TOP coming soon

hey you guys what you think about a t top for a 06 ill probally be the only on the planet with this

Old 04-18-2008, 07:35 PM
Default RE: T TOP coming soon

What made you think of that mod?

Old 04-18-2008, 08:04 PM

if you can get it dont i think it would look great but would love to see photos of it befor eand after or even a rendering of it.

Make sure that you support the frame on the car or you will have a 06-07 taco monte and then i know you will have the only one like it LOL

Old 04-18-2008, 08:33 PM

i dont kno my cousins gave me that i dea but i wonder what it would look like my self

Old 04-18-2008, 10:25 PM

i think it would be pretty sweet, but idk, id have to see it i cant really imagine it very well.

haha ill probly sound dumb for saying this but.......... ive had the idea, i wonder what it would look like on my 00 monte with a targa top???

Old 04-18-2008, 11:51 PM

I think that it would look awesome! I've always been a fan of t-tops, and wondered why they never brought them back. I know alot of people who had them said that they leaked like a sieve when the seals started to go. My only question is this though - aren't you supposed to have frameless windows for a t-top?

Old 04-19-2008, 09:00 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I know T-tops used to be a HUGE theft problem. I have known so many Camaro/Firebird owners over the years who have had their T-tops stolen, along with all their valuables inside the car. Plus like previously mentioned, they leak like crazy. They're okay for the first year or so. But as soon as the door starts to sag, and body flex takes hold, it's raining in your car.

I think they disappeared because they were basically an engineering nightmare.

As for putting them in your Monte, I think it would be a mistake. It's a nice thought/wish, and that's what great ideas are born from. But I think you'd run into one problem after another. And after spending gobs of time and money, you'd end up with a ruined 06 Monte.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:50 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

i think you should listen to taz!! and yes, t tops had frameless windows.. now you got to figure out something to do with the door. i think you'd be pouring a LOT of money into a car just to have a ruined monte carlo if one little thing goes wrong. does T tops were designed to be made into t tops... even a hard top car that comes as a t top can be made into one, but not a car that the engineers never had planned ot make t top.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:55 PM

here si the deal it is and was a great option to have in a car. You can turn yours or any other car in to a T-Top car, BUT!!!!!

you need to find a skilled body shop and i mean SKILLED BODY SHOP that knows how or has doen this type of thing before.
it takes some time and also some being disaplined enough to make sure you do it right It is not the type of thing that you cna just do in your drive way over night and be safe.

they would have to mostlikly add a frame connector of some kind to the car. and the doors would have to be cut so thathtey seal correctly for one and also so they are no longer full frame doors or at least a half frame door.

Also you would have to find something close enough to ge tthe gaskets and rubber parts made for it.

But if your seriouly consider it and have the cash i would say get a hold of someone like west coast custums. they do this type of thing with the newer cars.
kind of like takeing a new charger and cutting it apart to put the old style car body on it to look like the old charger.
go out to the web site and look at thier work.
But seriously if you want it done this is the calaer of shop you will need. someon that has a rep they are terrifeyed of hurtign even for just a monte carlo owner and not one of the strars that they work for but the every day joe.

them screwing up your car will hurt that more then anythign else.

Good luck and dont give up on a dream But make damed sure it is what you want before ya go threw with it. there is no turning back easily.

Also another thign that would be a idea is to find a 06-07 in a bone yard that was a theft recovery car. then you can do what you want to it with out it being the daily driver and also you can do the whole car custom.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:47 PM

ORIGINAL: mlp313

hey you guys what you think about a t top for a 06 ill probally be the only on the planet with this
No way man! I was going to be the only one

I think it's a sick idea and it's been bouncing around in my head for the last year and a half. In fact I though about it a lot this weekend when I had nothing to do, it might turn into one helluva mess, but it can work. I know one thing, if you do follow through you HAVE to post pictures, or atleast mail me some 'cause I won't be able to do anything that'd cost that kinda cash for atleast another 4-5 years.

Quick Reply: T TOP coming soon