Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

spoilers

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default spoilers

hey guys... im looking at possibly getting an aftermarket spoiler for my monte carlo. I have the pace car one on now, but im looking for something a little more.... ricer. (i know... kill me). something like the surfboard but sits up a few inches.... what problems would I be looking at for switching it out for something like that?

Old 09-10-2007, 10:56 PM
Default RE: spoilers

First problem is weight. Usually the standard aluminium ones are going to be much heaver than stock, that means your trunk lid is going to be heavier to lift up, and will slam a lot easeir, especially if it's windy.

If you go aftermarket (pretty much only choice) Your trunk is going to have several holes in it. Because the aftermarket spoilers might mount with two, at the most three posts, about two bolts each. The stockers have several bolts throughout the spoiler. Meaning you'll have to get a shop to fill those end, then grind the metal back down, thenre-paint the trunk lid.

MINIMUM you're talking 300-650 just to have a shop fill the holes than repaint... More if you want the bottom of the trunklid to appear stock-ish.

Cheaper, find a stock trunklid (same color)that did not have a spoiler, then just add the aftermarket spoiler to it. Should be plenty of 2000-05 monte's in local yards if you look around enough. If you're lucky you'll find one with a good lid, in the same color. This way, the only thing you have to do is drill holes to mount the new spoiler.

Lastly, be prepared to catch some flak... While we're usually a pretty mellow bunch, every once in awhile you're going to hear from someone that doesn't really like the look of a sport-compact (aka tuner, aka ricer) spoiler on a good mid-sized coupe... Two different worlds really.

Myself.... I think the big wings are out of place on Montes. Now, I mean the big aluminium wing type ones... A decent, not-overdone fiberglass/plastic one painted body color looks much better, but costs much more. My very first GM coupe was a 95 beretta and I had a stock spoiler put on for a mere 400$ by the time it was painted stock color. (matched perfectly, seriously looked stock)

I thought it was well worth it myself....

Old 09-11-2007, 12:43 AM

Some spoilers I dont mind on the Monte, I saw a wrap around one that looked like it was on a 80's series Camaro that wasnt so bad. Honestly, I dont mind my surfboard, but I would preffer to have the race inspired one. Seems to fit the monte the best.

I think an aluminum one would look out of place on the monte, Unless it was very low to the car, and as wide as the rear.

Also keep in mind about visability issues out of that back window too.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:52 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you see one on the net that you like, try photoshopping it ( or getting someone to photoshop it for you )onto your car before buying it.

Also... Most of the spoilers you mentioned are designed for narrower cars like Honda'sand such. So it may look like poop on a wider car. I remember seeing a Dodge Intrepid with a big-a$$ wing on the trunk lid, that was designed for a Honda. Wasn't a pretty picture.

[sm=chairshot.gif][sm=badidea.gif]

Old 09-11-2007, 10:09 AM

ORIGINAL: vita
what problems would I be looking at for switching it out for something like that?
Well for one thing, alot of people are going to start laughing at you and you will be blacklisted from the community. =D

J/K pretty much what was listed already and I say do what you want to do. It's your car and everyones opinion be damned.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:19 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

something like the surfboard but sits up a few inches....

If you happen to like this style better I'm sure there's a few Monte owners out there who had the surfboard style spoiler and removed it for the stand up race inspired spoiler. They would probably sell the surfboard spoiler to you. It would help lower the cost of the stand up spoiler they paid out for them.

But you might be able to modify the surfboard spoiler so it sets up just a bit higher without doing a lot of work to it or yourdeck lid.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: HyperFox

Some spoilers I dont mind on the Monte, I saw a wrap around one that looked like it was on a 80's series Camaro that wasnt so bad. Honestly, I dont mind my surfboard, but I would preffer to have the race inspired one. Seems to fit the monte the best.

I think an aluminum one would look out of place on the monte, Unless it was very low to the car, and as wide as the rear.

Also keep in mind about visability issues out of that back window too.
The wrap around is very nice.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:14 PM

ORIGINAL: vita

hey guys... im looking at possibly getting an aftermarket spoiler for my monte carlo. I have the pace car one on now, but im looking for something a little more.... ricer. (i know... kill me). something like the surfboard but sits up a few inches.... what problems would I be looking at for switching it out for something like that?
This is interesting, but not 6th gen.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:16 PM

Here is the surfboard up a couple of inches.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:11 PM

Yeah thats the wrap around one I love. But I dont think It will suit my monte's lines. But if an 06-07 owner who might have a race inspired laying around, Ill trade.. lol

Quick Reply: spoilers