Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Removing Vinyl Stripes

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 03:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2009
Default Removing Vinyl Stripes

Removing Vinyl Stripes is a major Pain! No Joke.

I tried the heat gun and then didn't work well, I tried some small thing of sticker remover and that was a waste.

So I went to Sherwin Williams and got 3m adhesive remover and some putty tools and gloves and hopefully this works or I am a little screwed.

The guy at sherwin williams said it should work.

I talked wit Mike from autotrim design and I submitted the pics of my cracked stripes and receipt and I only had my stripes for a year and a half through one summer and he told me he will talk with the vendor of the reflective material and he will get back to me.

Mike said it take two weeks for a response from 1/13/2009 starting.

We will see how this all works out and I am gonna consider paint a little more and carefully pick the right fix either to replace the stripes again or just go for some paint.

Its a pain to go through this and there is a car show this saturday, It's up in the air weather I show or not depending if I can get my stripes off in time.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:14 PM
Default RE: Removing Vinyl Stripes

Let us know how the peeling turns out. I was quoted like 3-5 hours of work just to have the stripes removed before any sort of paint prepping could be done when I got my paint quote. Figure that I want to take them off myself when I get them painted and save a few hundred dollars.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:41 PM

I will let you know buddyhow this adhesive remover works,

I can see why its better to have stuff painted, but I like the reflective alot

I will let you know how long it takes and what stuff you will need, I will probably make a do it your self thread as well.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:34 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry you are having so much trouble. I had my checkers on the side of my car redone and I didn’t have a problem removing them. I don’t know if it was just cheap vinyl or what.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:53 PM

i cant beleive that the heat gun didnt work. if you get fed up try this
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3D2%26hl%3Den

Old 01-14-2009, 11:01 PM

YES I am fed up, my stripes are on so tight, Autotrimdesign.com offers a product that should work, I am asking for a free bottle of it to remove the stripes, the show this saturday isn't looking good for me.

http://www.autotrimdesign.net/detail...category=6906#

Video of how to use the product is below

http://www.autotrimdesign.com/Shoppi...al%20Video.htm

Old 01-15-2009, 02:46 PM

ORIGINAL: mavrickf1613
I can see why its better to have stuff painted, but I like the reflective alot
I agree, I almost got the reflective from ATD, but went with a local shop and a gloss black for the price.

Wish they had a nice reflective paint that didn't break the bank when it came to getting it painted.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:00 PM

notice on the right of the page it says this product is not recomended for.........
it seems like a stripper of somekind. the wheel i recomended will take it off with out harming the paint. just gotta buff it after to remove any residues and what not

Old 01-15-2009, 11:29 PM

yea Inssanity, I figured it out, You get a 3M Rubber Wheel Attachement for your Drill and then the rubber grinds off the decal without taking the paint off, The hood is just about done.

But I have the yellow residue still and I tried the 3M Adhesive remover, but the adhesive hasn't came all the way off, Can it be buffed out or what you think?

God Bot it may not be as hard to take off your stripes as it is for me, I got a really crappy set that was like permanatley on my car, The Heat gun trick may work to just peel your stripes off,

I am using a power drill with Rubber Wheel attachment and its coming off,

I did talk to some very respective people with viny decals and they will last seven years, You have to pay for the oracal or 3M Vinyl High Temp to get a quality product, I have asked the correct people reflective black can last in az and its yes they can. The cop cars are vinyl with high heat temp vinyl and it does last.

Its four hundred to get the srtipes redone and installed with High Heat Temp Vinyl.

I may just replace the stripes, Or get mpd incs hood and do paint or no new hood and just some paint, I don't know yet.

We will see how this plays out

Old 01-16-2009, 07:20 PM

i use the wheel alot and usually all the glue comes off. the glue on teh vinyl is pressure sensitive which makes teh bond so strong. but try running over it one more time then get what you can with the adhesive remover and a little elbow grease. then try buffing (with a power buffer) hand most likely wont work. hope it all comes off for you. also try preheating it with the heat gun might make it easyer

Quick Reply: Removing Vinyl Stripes