Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

recarpet the trunk

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 09:43 AM
3 Year Member
Default recarpet the trunk

on an 06 Monte.

I popped the trunk and was hoping to find some carpet molded to plastic molding on the inside. I didn't.

Instead it was just molded carpet supporting its own weight with nothing behind it.

Has anyone here recarpeted the trunk to their 06-07 Monte? how'd you do it?

Old 02-27-2010, 01:23 PM

Just curious as to why you want to recarpet it? This is the same stuff that gm has been using for a very long time and it seems to hold up well. I don't think that i have ever seen anyone recarpet the trunk before. Good luck!

Old 02-27-2010, 01:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by LuSe4
Just curious as to why you want to recarpet it? This is the same stuff that gm has been using for a very long time and it seems to hold up well. I don't think that i have ever seen anyone recarpet the trunk before. Good luck!
theres nothing behind it, its just carpet supporting itself, thats why it seems like he wants to recarpet

Old 02-27-2010, 02:33 PM

Well unless your going 4 show i wouldnt recarpet it, and if you did i would to with the same color as your interior

Old 02-27-2010, 04:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm getting things around to re-do my trunk, and new carpet is just part of the plans.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:00 PM
3 Year Member

You know on that one show...Pimp My Ride... its so awesome when they open the trunk to a couple subs and amps and there is bright green carpeting.

Thats what I'm going for. If I don't end up liking it...I'll just close the trunk!

Old 02-28-2010, 10:02 AM

your local audio shops will refer you to there local upholstery shops that can help you out. they make all kind of dies that come in spray paint cans. you can try them.

i would think that only red,black would cover the gray. im going to do mine in black when the sun comes out.

i would think doing something like that yourself would turn out bad, unless you cut up some mdf and re-shaped the trunk layout. then its easy to wrap and staple the panels. you can go to places like jo-ann fabrics, or fabric stores in general for all kinds of options. a lot of people use marine vinal, but if your goijng for carpet and automotive carpet should work. you might be able to buy a light color and dye it any color you want.

its a long process, if you dont know what your doing. GL

Old 02-28-2010, 11:56 AM
3 Year Member

Looks like it will be a long process since I really dont know what Im doing!

I like idea of re-shaping the trunk. I think Ill go that route.

Now I need to borrow a garage...

Old 02-28-2010, 03:54 PM

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/members/thumpingetocar06-6193/

i think thumpin knows more that anyone on here on this subject, id see if he could answer some questions.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:29 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- October 2010

Heres what I got for ya.... Marine vinyl can be purchased at any local fabric store (NOT WALMART) in any color you can imagine.... what I did was make carboad templates of panels that I created out of wood, then covered them in the vinyl giving it that finished look. Yes, granted I have a stereo setup in there, but the same can be done with just re doing the liner. Hope this helps and if you have any further questions, PM me and I will give ya more details if needed!

Quick Reply: recarpet the trunk