Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Price Check on Custom Stripes...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Price Check on Custom Stripes...

So today I went to the three shops that I found in the Laramie phonebook that were listed as doing vehicle graphics. I'm trying to get some rally stripes.

The first shop shot me an estimate of right around $100 to get them cut and installed.

Shop number two was unable to do an estimate at the time as a the employee that knew all that good stuff was out, but they got all the information from me and I'm waiting on a call to tell me the estimate.

Shop number three said that they could do gloss black (what I want), but that it would probably shrink after being exposed to the sun, so they said they'd do a matte black, and that for a partial job (I'm not getting them on the roof) they would probably charge me around $450.

Looks like I am going to either shop number one or two. Those of you with stripes, how wide are they with and without the pinstripes? I'm trying to figure out just how wide I want to go.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Default RE: Price Check on Custom Stripes...

$100 seems really low. Im a firm believer in you get what you pay for when it come to auto parts. Dont know if I would go with the cheap option but yet again if it dont last you didnt spend much. I have about $550 in mine and have no complaints at all with them.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:59 PM

I'm getting stripes; but ... I'm having mine painted on.
I put a Chevy Bow-Tie Graphic on my rear window and it looks good from a distance ... but, up close you can see the air bubbles and a little wrinkle that happened when I layed it down on the glass.
So, to not have that happen with the Stripes I want to have up across my hood and down-over my trunk deck ... I'm going to have them painted on.
I haven't even started to find-out how much its going to cost to stripe the hood and trunk ... but, I'm guessing its going to cost me around 3-to-5 hundred bucks!

I have used the 3M Pinstripe Kits.
Not anything wider than a quarter-inch.
Had very good luck laying-on pin stripes to my Bike and toolbox.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:34 PM

hey rick when i was in fl and i know prices vary on the content but i was gonna have the stripes put on hood and trunk over spoiler only, but with a ghost job and it was gonna cost me grand. this is just to give ya a heads up regular paint will probably cost less but not much i wouldnt think bud, but gl and when you get them done would luv to see the finished touches.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:41 AM

Iwould buy the vinyl pre cut from a sign shop (like they do) and install them your self, applying vinyl is really easy.

edit: found a good how 2 you can ignore first two and a half mins of it but using the wet application they show is how to go for putting them on cars. ive done it several times with no problems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxKUDgzchwk

Old 02-07-2008, 12:47 PM
rj
15 Year Member

I paid $50 to have the stripe kit I got off ebay installed. Okay............. they didn't install them correctly.

My "Plan-B" was to buy another kit and have it installed but um.... oh... that's right I sank any cash I had into a transmission for my daily driver.

Most places I called wanted $150 to do the install.
(maybe they would have installed them correctly?)

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of having them painted on. I'm concerned about bubbles when it get's hot outside. Time will tell?

Old 02-07-2008, 01:38 PM

Totally lost track of this thread, but I did end up doing the $100 option, and so far it's fine. There are a few bubble and wrinkles that I'll take care of once it warms up.

Only complaint I have is that because he did them straight, the front looks a bit funny due to how the stripes end perpendicular to themselves and the hood is curved, so it gives it a bit of a pointed look. I've got an idea to cut some vinyl of my own in a little tribal design and but it right in front, and that would even it all up. I'll get pictures this weekend.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:13 PM

Sounds like it will look really kool. Did you notice the increase in HP? j/k

Can't wait to see some pics

Old 02-07-2008, 03:15 PM

here is what i just did. its 3 color on the back of a Corvette. Silver Red & Black

Old 02-07-2008, 05:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Nocturnx

Sounds like it will look really kool. Did you notice the increase in HP? j/k

Can't wait to see some pics
Yeah dude, driving back it was so hard to keep it under 30mph, there was so much power pouring out that the car seemed like it was going to die from going so slow.

I did really want to get them painted, and I plan on getting them painted on in the future. When I get them painted I'll do them quite a bit wider and with some taper to them, kinda like the ones on my dad's Camaro.

Do you work in a graphics shop Boost?

Quick Reply: Price Check on Custom Stripes...