Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Oxidation

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 11:46 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2015
1 Year Member
Default Oxidation

Well I got my intimidator in December and looked nice. And now the oxidation is getting pretty bad so I took it to a detailer that does about 10-12 cars on average for the Barrett Jackson show here every year. He did a test spot and removed all the swirls and oxidation but when he tested the paint the panel that had the worst oxidation also had the most paint.... Looks like the dealer did a cover up job and a bad one at that. I will be retuning to this company in about a month for them to do their 2 stage paint correction that will remove my swirls and oxidation and they are going to put a 3-5 year glass coating on it that seals in everything. They had a client who had the 3-5 year glass coating applied on the paint like I will do and someone put out a cigarette in their paint and all it took was some detail spray and a microfiber towel and no harm done. It is extremely scratch resistant and gum will actually clean off with no effort at all. I think this is going to be a good investment especially for car shows. Once they remove the swirls and seal it in its like that for at least 3 years so I will have a nice looking swirl free car.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:50 AM

sounds nice man,its great your taking care of your monte..I wish we had good detail shops around here,thats why I like to do my own work,post some pics when you get it done so let us see the shine

Old 05-18-2015, 11:58 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you were in Michigan..
Check out The Detail Shop in Wyandotte at 14th Street and Eureka rd. They are a "Professional Detail Shop".

They have done all 3 of my vehicles.
By the looks of mine..(signature pic)
What do you think?

Last edited by STUMPMI; 05-18-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:30 PM
1 Year Member

Not going to lie the work IM going to have done is EXPENSIVE but I need to protect my investment. They usually do videos of their work.

Sun Protection ? scottsdalecardetailing.com

Check out this Mercedes that they fixed the oxidation on

Old 05-18-2015, 07:43 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
If you were in Michigan..
Check out The Detail Shop in Wyandotte at 14th Street and Eureka rd. They are a "Professional Detail Shop".

They have done all 3 of my vehicles.
By the looks of mine..(signature pic)
What do you think?

Well I for one Dave can see your Monte looks gorgeous, really new in it's appearance. You have went to some big efforts to keep her solid and show ready. Your wheels are actually pretty damn sharp there buddy, look pretty trick, great choice. That shop really does very nice work for sure.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:47 PM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by tweek
Not going to lie the work IM going to have done is EXPENSIVE but I need to protect my investment. They usually do videos of their work.

Sun Protection ? scottsdalecardetailing.com

Check out this Mercedes that they fixed the oxidation on
Well hold their feet to the fire, get what you believe your paying for since it is expensive as you say.

save your nickels and dimes, bet your Intimidator will look very nice when the whole process is complete.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:43 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Is it the same process as I had done threw EAS here in New Orleans if so it was expensive. But like you said it was well worth the investment.

Last edited by Mels SS; 05-26-2015 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:13 AM
1 Year Member

Looks like where you went they have the paint protection film. The stuff that the detailers im going to use its like putting a much harder clearcoat on top of the clearcoat that is already on the car.

This is from their site:

Why choose glass/crystal coatings?

This is the ten dollar question. Why choose a glass coating for your vehicle? The real question is why not? Glass coatings are the ultimate form of protection against UV rays and the harsh elements in the Earth's environment. Think of coatings as another layer of clear-coat stacked on top of the clear-coat of your vehicle; only stronger, harder, and offer durability second to none.
We like to make this analogy: Imagine standing on a gravel road and rolling a candle down it. The candle would pick up dirt, gravel, and other debris that would be embedded in the surface. Candles are made with wax. The same properties apply to your paint. Dirt and debris attract to wax.
Now imagine the same scenario only with a glass. There is no debris or rocks that will be lodged into the surface. The same applies to your vehicle. The surfaces of your vehicle will stay cleaner, longer. After a wash, your vehicle will still have that same deep, wet looking shine as the day you picked it up from us.

How do coatings work?

Coatings work due to nanotechnology. Since molecules and atoms are manipulated to optimize temperature resistance and hardness, this gives coatings hydrophobic properties. Hydrophobia literally means 'fear of water.' This property is what makes water literally fall off the surface when it makes contact. The amount of hydrophobia a surface can obtain depends on its anchor pattern

Old 05-25-2015, 11:48 PM
1 Year Member

Here is a video they did of them applying the glass coating to the paint. I can't wait to get my monte in there for them to work on.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:58 PM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

Nice procedure from what they are showing us. Those 2 cars just look gorgeous, quite a stunning finish. The music makes it seem like one is having a religious experience when they get their car done...

One can only hold their breath anticipating how your Monte will fare with them. Definitely need some before shots too!

Should you have an extra wad of cash sitting around I will bring my Monte back down so you can have them detail it out...

Quick Reply: Oxidation