Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Overdoing the Washing ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Overdoing the Washing ...

Just wondering am I over washing my car? I washed my car yesterday afternoon and went to work because I work nights. I got to work and at about 2am dew was on my car so I thought no biggie? anyhow the following morning (early this morning) after leaving I got dirt, dew leftovers, and water spots on my car and i'm thinking wow it didn't even stay clean a entire day? Are there any solutions to keeping the car looking cleaner longer because it seems like i'm washing the car every 4 days or less because it shows every spec of dirt imagineable ... I know it's black, but still ...

Also is it true that handwashing brings more scratches to the car ....

Old 09-11-2007, 09:31 PM
Default RE: Overdoing the Washing ...

Handwashing done right... will not...But you shouldn't use those expensive wash mitts more than 4-5 times.. because the dirt (swirl-marks) builds up in the mitt.

Really, the better a wax 'sheets' the water,the longer the wax will last. Plus a car that sheets off dew and other sources of water, allows less dirt to build up.

I would see if a no-touch process would take care of the dirt effectively... Few bucks at a wand type DIY car washing station will usually do a quick soap, rinse, then spot-free rinse. Then a quick 1/4 mile in that beast should dry her off real quick

Old 09-12-2007, 09:19 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I find the Mr. Clean Autodry does a great job. Even if you just use the water filter to rinse the dust off the car.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:07 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Also the Mequiar's Quik Detailer is ment to be used between washes.

I can tell you washing the paint a lot can make it wear through. Which you do not want.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:35 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

If you have a "soft water" self-wash close by you could spray it down for 1 $1 to $1.75 every day and chamois it. It shouldn't harm the car.

Washing it every day with the "hard" water from your hose which contains microscopic minerals or rocks could be a problem though on your clear coat.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:46 AM
5 Year Member1 Year Member

I have hard water [:@]dang, no wonder I'm having problems

Old 09-17-2007, 07:01 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

final inspection my friend, great product, can do the whole car in 10 min, wont leave water spots, cuz there's no water used

Old 09-24-2007, 10:15 PM

Yeh dont wash it everytime you have those spots. Get a quick detailer, either Meguiars makes a good one (GET THE ONE IN THE BLACK BOTTLE AT OREILLY'S), or I use a company called Griots. Just use that with a couple micro fiber towels. I keep a bottle and towels in my trunk at all times. It is great for bird poop and bugs (major dangers to your paint). You can use it for anything, I do it when my car is dusty too, I use to have to cover it before I got a garage because cats would get on it. So I would detail it every night before I put the cover on so I didnt scratch my car.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:26 PM

Oh yeh, when you do wash. My buddy showed me a trick. You have your soap bucket, well also get another bucket preferably fairly big and just fill it with water. After every section first dunk your mit in the big bucket a few times and squeeze it to get alot of the water out, and then go back to the soap. This helps get all that dirt out of your mitt, so you dont scratch your car. Do this especially when after like a rain, and your car has all that dirt down the sides.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Taz

I find the Mr. Clean Autodry does a great job. Even if you just use the water filter to rinse the dust off the car.
I can't use that thing. I was all excited when I got it, but it always leaves this damn white haze over the whole car. I've even tried different soaps and replaced the filter no less than 4 times.

The haze still shows up with the final clear rinse.

Quick Reply: Overdoing the Washing ...