Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

New painted grill

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 05:13 PM
Default New painted grill

When I got the car, he gave me an extra grill that was all chipped up and had some grime on it. Today I decided to clean it up and spray some paint to make it pop. Tell me what you think, I hope to get it on tomorrow. Debating on weather or not to put the knight symbol back on.
Before the Paint

After one coat

Old 02-17-2009, 05:28 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: New painted grill

That looks great. Cant wait to see it on the car!!

Old 02-17-2009, 11:19 PM

Got it on tonight, man it looks ALOT better. I'll get some pictures tomorrow, I want some warm weather so I can get out there and wax it.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:47 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

That is a big improvement. How much was a direct replacement? Or did you even consider that. I am only asking because it appears there is a chrome-ish trim around the grill that is now silver and matches the inside portion. Now it loses that contrast.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:06 PM

86ls, what kind of paint did you use and what kind of preparation did you do? is it just regular spray bomb enamel? did you use primer? i am looking to do something very similar to this and want to get some opinions on how people have done it and how it holds up. thanks.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:39 PM

Rick, I thought about a replacement, but we had some spray cans on the shelf and I wanted to mess around with it. It looks fine, better than the chipped up one.

Drew, The paint it just a Rust-Olem spray can. I started with some fine sand paper, scuffed up the edges, then went over the whole thing with a red scotchbrite. You have to make sure you get the whole deal looking good before paint, becuase it will show every inperfection that you missed. Before paint I sprayed it off with the air hose and it turned out fine.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:08 PM

Update:
A buddy of mine threw out the idea of painting the middle black and keeping the outer rim silver. I decided to take his advise, and took the grill back off. I had some gloss black, and I just shot it tonight. I hope to get a second coat, and tomorrow take the tape off and see how I did.
I'll be sure to get some pictures up, hope it turns out as good as it looks in my head!

Old 02-19-2009, 10:27 AM

[align=center]
ORIGINAL: 86Ls

Update:
A buddy of mine threw out the idea of painting the middle black and keeping the outer rim silver. I decided to take his advise, and took the grill back off. I had some gloss black, and I just shot it tonight. I hope to get a second coat, and tomorrow take the tape off and see how I did.
I'll be sure to get some pictures up, hope it turns out as good as it looks in my head!
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Hi `Cory,[/align][align=center]It`s great to see one of our Monte of the Month winners[/align][align=center]online, & mod`in his 86 Monte [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Look 4-ward 2 seeing your finished product.[/align][align=center]Are you doing any engine mod`s ?[/align][align=center]Have you taken your 86 Monte 2 the Track ?[/align][align=center]Are you racing any dragsters this year ?[/align][align=center]Oh, I liked your buddy`s low rider Pick me `Uplow rider : )[/align][align=center]Wish you a fun/safe year[/align][align=center]from `Space[/align]
[:-]

That SpaceKid isn`t very good @ paint`in or PhotoChop`in [8D]4-Sure
[IMG]local://upfiles/4301/59D33811230A4B599AC398E2137F9B7A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-19-2009, 03:15 PM

Ok here's the finished project. It turned out not half bad.
Silver on car

Silver/Black

Silver/Black on Car

Old 02-23-2009, 10:31 AM

[sm=smiley20.gif] Nice.

Quick Reply: New painted grill