Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Most durable wax, and alum wheel care.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 09:29 PM

I personally don't use them. I don't care for their performance. With that said there are detailers out there that use them and are very happy with them.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Possum
I already asked this on another forum topic - is it ever okay to use terry cloth towels on a car?
to do what? wash, wax or dry? It seems a little rough to use on the paint. but i know people that do for everything with no issues. Microfiber towels are my favorite.

edit: haha like 7801MonteMan said

Old 01-24-2011, 06:45 AM

It is recommended on some interior products to use a terry towel. As far as removing wax thats a big no no. Use a microfiber for removing and wax or even wiping down the car. Now i forget but i think its ok to use a terry to apply wax. I use a machine so its been a long time 4 me.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:13 AM

Thanks for the advice! I think my mistake was using terry towels every morning to wipe down the car. I've switched to microfiber for everything now, except chrome and trim cleaning.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:23 AM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

One way to test a cloth is.. if you take the cloth and an old cd: If you swipe the cloth across the CD and if it scratches the CD then DO NOT use it on the car and if it does not scratch the CD than it should be fine to use on the car

Old 01-24-2011, 12:59 PM

i have always used the turtle wax ice but i feel that its more of a polish than a wax.. last summer i put a coat on at least once a month (sometimes two coats) but what would be a good carnuba wax that isn't really high priced? and what would be a good spray on wax for between coats? i tried using the turtle wax ice spray on wax but it acts really funny on my car.. im going to clay the entire thing when it warms up with the meguirs (spell check lol) clay

Old 01-24-2011, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Randdady
i have always used the turtle wax ice but i feel that its more of a polish than a wax.. last summer i put a coat on at least once a month (sometimes two coats) but what would be a good carnuba wax that isn't really high priced? and what would be a good spray on wax for between coats? i tried using the turtle wax ice spray on wax but it acts really funny on my car.. im going to clay the entire thing when it warms up with the meguirs (spell check lol) clay
Try the meguirs quik wax and quik detailer, i have had no problem with them and they work great.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by gothkid
Try the meguirs quik wax and quik detailer, i have had no problem with them and they work great.
is the quik wax a carnauba wax?.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:50 AM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Originally Posted by Randdady
is the quik wax a carnauba wax?.
No. Almost none of them are..

Carnauba Spray Waxes are very hard to come by and their often expensive.

Here is a detail spray thats as close to carnauba as you can find
http://www.autogeek.net/pincrysmis.html

and here is a spray wax
http://www.autogeek.net/pinnacle-sou...spray-wax.html

The problem is that unless the carnauba is in the form of a paste wax its not true carnauba.. If its a liquid its basis is polymers/synthetic sealants not carnauba. And you can layer sealants and then carnauba. Because carnauba bonds to sealants. But you can never top carnauba with sealant because a sealant wont bond to a carnauba wax, So when I wax my car I like to apply 2 coats sealant and then 1 or 2 coats carnauba wax.

Last edited by jaws2008; 01-25-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:23 AM

so would really any wax that doesnt have carnauba in it would be considered a sealant?

Quick Reply: Most durable wax, and alum wheel care.