Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Most Disliked Detailing Job?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 11:00 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Most Disliked Detailing Job?

So what part of detailing your car do you dislike the most? I find cleaning the inside rear window behind the speaker grilles to be a royal PITA. It's hard to fit my hand in there so I end up having to wad up my towel to reach the bottom of the window. I think my biggest disliked part of detailing though is washing all the applicators, towels and chamois afterwords.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:02 AM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

The windshield!!! By far!!! I can't seem to get all the way down without getting glass cleaner on my freshly armor all'd dash. When I try to do it the other way, I get armor all on my clean windshield.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

hate clay baring pain in the butt BTW did you ever see that wand thingy by Invisable window for cleaning windows? works great in hard to get at places

Old 06-07-2011, 11:07 AM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

^^^LOL. I tried to make one of those with two pieces of wood with a hinge and a microfiber towel stapled to it. It worked really well, but I couldn't clean the towel so I ended up throwing it away.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:17 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I can't stand cleaning the interior side of any of my windows.

Also under the hood is a PITA on a daily driver.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:17 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member

Anything my son had been driving. yecch.

Wheels and the wheel wells. If I had a lift that would bring the car up to eye level it wouldn't be so bad on the knees. I'm going to farm it out this year.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by MillerMonteSS
The windshield!!! By far!!! I can't seem to get all the way down without getting glass cleaner on my freshly armor all'd dash. When I try to do it the other way, I get armor all on my clean windshield.
I have a mickey-mouse approach for the windshield/dash dilemma. I clean the windshield first, then when I apply protectant to the dash I tape my towel around the edge of a piece of cardboard. Then I apply the protectant to the non-taped side of the towel. Press the cardboard into one corner, and slide it across the dash to the other corner. The tape doesn't absorb the protectant and prevents it from getting on the windshield.

Originally Posted by Tadcaster
BTW did you ever see that wand thingy by Invisable window for cleaning windows? works great in hard to get at places
I tried one of those, but the pivot where the head mounts to the handle hit the the speaker grille so it wouldn't get down to the edge of the window. I was afraid I was going to scratch/ding the speaker grille so I went back to wadding up the towel. Maybe I'll mickey-mouse a towel/cardboard 'tool' like I did for the the windshield/dash to resolve the problem. Your replies were quite helpful...they got me to think a bit further outside the box.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

it's a tie tie, has to be shampooing with the front seats still in!, Polishing wheels...,

i always ask can i pull the seats out and usually get a no, i then tell them i'll do my best to get the crap between the seat and the console then... pulling the front seats makes shampooing the carpet sooooooooo much easier.. let alone i can get it cleaner and get all the edges especially in a 2 door car...

don't get me started on wheels...

other anoyances, claybaring just long and time consuming....
wheel wells... they just wont come clean enought!!!!
all the cracks and crevises... just takes forever especially when people don't take care of thier car
windshild/back window as stated above

Old 06-07-2011, 11:48 AM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Tip for cleaning the windshield and rear window... spray the glass cleaner kind of heavily on the Microfiber towel and wipe like normal, then flip it to dry to streak free. Also spray your dash protectant on a foam applicator, then it doesn't get on the windows, and you will get a more even coat that covers just everything you want.

I run a detail business so there is nothing I dont really like or I wouldn't do it, but the most disliked part would be cleanup, it just takes forever. Then you get backed up on it and then your stuck cleaning 100+ microfiber towel, lots of applicators, 20+ foam buffing pads etc..

Old 06-07-2011, 11:57 AM
Default inside..........

The inside of the windshield and back glass is the hardest for me.
Monte Carlo's have large window areas.....
Don't really like cleaning the wheels either.
oh well.

Quick Reply: Most Disliked Detailing Job?