Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Leather seats

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 09:36 PM
Default Leather seats

Just wondering who makes a good leather cleaner/conditioner ?

Old 02-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008
Default RE: Leather seats

I've been using the ArmorAll Leather Care on mine.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:31 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My personal opinion here. ArmorAll will never touch a thing I own ever again. It turns whatever you wiped it on brown. That includes tires, your dash, etc.

You should have seen the dash in my g/f's '81 Monte when I bought it. The original owner & son both treated the dash with ArmorAll. It was all cracked and brown on top. I had to find a complete dash assembly to replace it with and luckily a dash from a late '70s Malibu Wagon is the same dash.

I used STP's Son Of A Gun for many years. But now you can't find the product? I know it kept the landau roof on a car I used to own looking like new. No shinkage or anything.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:00 AM

I used a damp cloth and i leave all the other products on the shelf. The oil that is in the material stays and they look factory. I have never use anything else and never had a cracked in any leather produts.Keep the leather out of the sun as much you can.Get a tint on the widows to keep the UV rays out.. My o2 on that.

Do not use any type of soap....

Old 02-10-2008, 09:47 AM
Photobucket

That's strange RJ, we've never had that problem with Armor All. Weird.
The owners manual says to use saddle soap or other leather conditioner. I know from having other leather products (saddles, boots, etc)that saddle soap will thinngs dry out if and oil such as Neats Foot is not used too, but I don't want THAT in my car seats, LOL.

Window tint will help a lot. That's one of the reasons we tint everything we own.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:55 AM

ORIGINAL: rj

My personal opinion here. ArmorAll will never touch a thing I own ever again. It turns whatever you wiped it on brown. That includes tires, your dash, etc.

You should have seen the dash in my g/f's '81 Monte when I bought it. The original owner & son both treated the dash with ArmorAll. It was all cracked and brown on top. I had to find a complete dash assembly to replace it with and luckily a dash from a late '70s Malibu Wagon is the same dash.

I used STP's Son Of A Gun for many years. But now you can't find the product? I know it kept the landau roof on a car I used to own looking like new. No shinkage or anything.
i will also never use any armorall on my car to because it seems like it will look good for a day then it has a film to it and dust will start to stick to it.

i use Eagle one Nano tech conditioner/cleaner, it was on sale at advanced auto parts 2 bottles for $3 so i figured i would give it a try and it works pretty good, i have no complaints about it. also it doesn't make my seats slick to were you slide off of them like some other stuff i have tried.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Photobucket

I'm very willing to try another/better product. Just didn't see too many to choose from so went with what we've always used.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:59 PM

Over the course of many years, I've triedeverything under the sunon leather - always looking for something better, I suppose. Iliked Meguiars Gold Class cleaner/conditioner, but I've finally concluded that there is simply nothing better than Lexol, and it's the only thing I'm going to use from now on. They make a "ph cleaner", if you need it, and a liquid conditioner.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:52 AM

i suggest looking around on autogeek they have a great selection on auto products,i plan on trying leathernique kind of pricey but seems like a quality product.
i use armor all on my dash because i like the deep black shine,i think armor all gets a badwrap but if you look at other otc. products they are no different because its silicone that people claimdoes the browning over time.and alot of the products contain that ingrediant.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:56 AM

I will second Gale 155 on the Lexol.I have tried many cleaners/conditioners over the years as well and the Lexol products seem to be the best.The thing I like is it doesn't leave a shiny,greasy "auctioned up"look.Once it dries the seats look factory original,and it smells good too.

Quick Reply: Leather seats