Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Detailing (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/detailing-10/)
-   -   How to make your car shine like a show car (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/detailing-10/how-make-your-car-shine-like-show-car-56205/)

BeachBumMike 05-11-2016 05:37 AM

How to make your car shine like a show car

HOW TO MAKE YOUR CAR SHINE LIKE A SHOW CAR

By Meguiar's May 11, 2016

Meguiar’s, the world leader in car care technology wants to get you prepped for car show season with some tips and tricks for getting your car to shine bright like a diamond. The golden rule is to work smarter, not harder, ensuring your show car finish exceeds expectations.
http://ntvassets-a.akamaihd.net/92A7...E137981051.jpg
The first step in any car care project is always washing. Car washing removes the loose contaminants sitting on top of the finish. Dishwashing detergents are not recommended for this as they are formulated to strip everything, including wax protection, off the surface leaving it unprotected from the elements. By comparison, Meguiar’s car wash products are rich with conditioners and nutrients that actually add gloss and vitality to a cars finish while being washed.
http://ntvimg-a.akamaihd.net/863FAF1...=max&width=660
Surface prep is the second step in preparing any vehicle for polishing and waxing. Washing only removes loose contaminants sitting on top of the finish. Surface prep removes stubborn/bonded above surface contaminants and sub-surface defects that washing cannot remove. It is absolutely critical to use a product like Meguiar’s Smooth Surface Clay Kit to create a smooth as glass finish or clear coat safe compound like Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound to remove below surface defects such as swirls, oxidation, and light scratches.
http://ntvassets-a.akamaihd.net/BC69...8123683139.jpg
The classic definition of a polish, which is the third step, is a product used to create added brilliance and is treated as an optional step. In other words, pure polishes are specifically formulated to create high gloss and a great option for black and other dark colors. Meguiar’s Ultimate Polish also has the ability to polish out superficial imperfections like super fine scratches so a perfect reflection with great depth is created.
http://ntvassets-a.akamaihd.net/74B1...FF0E36BFC9.jpg
The next step is protection, involving the application of tenacious raw materials like waxes, polymers, silicones and resins which provide durable, long lasting protection against the elements. If long lasting durability and protection is desired after the application of either a pure polish or the aforementioned Meguiar’s Ultimate Polish, then an easy-to-use product like Meguiar’s Ultimate Liquid Wax would be best to use.
http://ntvimg-a.akamaihd.net/2BED89A...=max&width=660
Finally, continued maintenance of any vehicle is necessary in keeping that lasting show car shine. Contaminants are constantly landing on our car finishes, attempting to bond to them. If you ignore them, you will have a serious build-up of bonded contaminants and a lot of work ahead of you. That’s where products like Meguiar’s Ultimate Quik Detailer come into play – the missing link between washing and waxing.

Follow these guidelines from Meguiar’s regularly and your car will look like a show car every day, and contaminants will never have time to undo your work.
www.meguiars.com

P343 05-11-2016 07:47 AM

I use Meguiar's on my Montes. Their leather care products are awesome too. :)

BeachBumMike 05-11-2016 08:17 AM

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-4177169..._2268_11871436

Hi Mod Barbara & thanks for being the first to post on this thread + your endorsement of Meguiar's Products.

I've had good luck with
Meguiar's Products & for the price I found their products do a great job. They would make a great addition sponsor on the MCF.
http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce0...145fc35.v1.jpg

Member's, post what you are using ?

chifan 05-11-2016 11:18 AM

I use Meguiar's Ultimate Wash And Wax Anywhere waterless wash on my Monte. At least I did, until the repaint. Now I look forward to using Meguiar's Ultimate Wash And Wax Anywhere again soon...........:cool:

Usually Meguiar's clay bar.

For bucket washing, I use a Turtle Wax car soap.

Also use either Meguiar's or Mother's quick detail spray as well...

P343 05-11-2016 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by BeachBumMike (Post 689071)

Yes, they would. I use all they have in that picture you posted. BBMike, have you been at my house going through my closet where I keep all my car parts and products while I have been at work??LOL

BeachBumMike 05-11-2016 12:40 PM

This has been a high-jacked thread (LOL)

Originally Posted by P343 (Post 689085)
Yes, they would. I use all they have in that picture you posted. BBMike, have you been at my house going through my closet where I keep all my car parts and products while I have been at work??LOL

:rolleyes:
Yes Mod Barbara, I admit it, but you didn't have to lock me in :eek:

rexdews 05-12-2016 05:29 AM

I like using Megs Gold class shampoo since it foams well and rinses easily without leaving any residue. For instant shine, Turtle Ice spray wax is my choice. It can also be used on plastics and rubbers.

MnteCrloSS47 05-12-2016 06:03 AM

I used to be a huge Meguiars guy but i switched to Adams products recently after trying Amandas Adams quick detail. Loved the outcome so now I'm hooked!

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...01691832_o.jpg

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...55&oe=57A93556

BeachBumMike 05-12-2016 09:40 AM

Thank `Devin, Everyone for posting/sharing

Thanks `Devin for posting the product(s) that you are using + your super picture results :thumbsup::congrats:

owens91 05-18-2016 12:48 PM

But what about that engine bay?????? Lol

BeachBumMike 05-18-2016 12:54 PM

LoL `George

Originally Posted by owens91 (Post 689756)
But what about that engine bay?????? Lol

:rolleyes:

Hi George, very good question & it should have been contained in this thread, but we were waiting for you to post if :eek: :confused: :)

* I use the last link below...:)
How to Clean Your Car's Engine | Meineke

www.meineke.com/blog/how-to-clean-car-engine/

Meineke Car Care Center

Sep 15, 2015 - Other areas that need hosing off include the hood and grille. If your car engine is clean, let the degreaser soak in for about three minutes. Very dirty engines need five minutes for the degreaser to loosen everything. For moderate to light buildup, there is no need to use a hand brush.

How to Clean a Car Engine: 12 Steps (with Pictures)

www.wikihow.com › ... › Cars › Car Maintenance and Repair › Engine Parts

wikiHow

But cleaning an engine is not the same as cleaning the rest of your car. With the right procedure, youcan keep your engine in tip-top shape. No need to...

Engine Cleaning DIY Tips – How to Clean an Engine Pictures

www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a6008/how-to-clean-an-engine/

Aug 6, 2010 - Whether you are looking to prep your car for sale, get it clean prior to ... Be sure to clean your engine somewhere you can collect the ...

Here's How To Clean Your Dirty-Ass Engine Bay Without Screwing It Up

thegarage.jalopnik.com/heres-how-to-clean-your-dirty-ass-engine-bay-without-sc-17...

Sep 15, 2015 - In fact, when an engine is clean aesthetically, it can cool more ... because water conducts electricity, and I assume you'd like your car to actually ...

How to Clean an Engine | The Family Handyman

www.familyhandyman.com › Skills › Automotive

... to Clean an Engine. Add resale value to your car by keeping your engine clean. ... But you can't just spray it with degreaser and hose it down. We'll show you ...

Engine Detailing, car engine cleaning, engine cleaner, engine ...

www.autogeek.net › Car Care Products › Auto Detailing Facts, Tips & Tricks

The truth is that your engine is a lot more resilient than you give it credit for. You can wash and detailyour engine without much fear of ruining anything. You just ...

Should I clean my car's engine? - The Globe and Mail

www.theglobeandmail.com › Globe Drive › Culture › Commuting

The Globe and Mail

Oct 9, 2012 - If your engine came with a wash label, like a wool sweater, it would probably say “handwash with care – but only if you know what you're doing ...

How to Clean a Vehicle's Engine - For Dummies

www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-clean-a-vehicles-engine.html

Never use a hose to wash under the hood — the water can ruin the electronics. Have your engine cleaned professionally if it's too dirty to wipe clean yourself.

owens91 05-19-2016 08:27 PM

i get nervous with the idea of spraying down the engine, if anyone in the forum has done this i would feel alot better

Budsjlm 05-19-2016 11:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm a bit of megs whore,
Put close to 20 hrs into her when I did my paint correction
Attachment 20439
, can't wait to buy a house so I can start doing this again, man did she shine, still not bad but not to this standard
Attachment 20440

GTHSS 05-21-2016 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by owens91 (Post 689879)
i get nervous with the idea of spraying down the engine, if anyone in the forum has done this i would feel alot better

I have sprayed down the engine, trying to go lightly near any electrical components. I am not sure if this is the best method but when I do I let the engine completely cool, then crank it just before I hose it. That way things dry quickly. My thinking is if i did get too much overspray in the ignition components I will hear the engine skipping or stalling. I have never had that problem though. Honestly I have only done it a few times, mainly after winter since my monte is a daily driver.

tweek 05-21-2016 08:36 AM

I use a sealant that's better than any wax. It shines better at last at least 6 months. It's called rejex. That's what I used on my friends car

owens91 05-21-2016 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by GTHSS (Post 689974)
I have sprayed down the engine, trying to go lightly near any electrical components. I am not sure if this is the best method but when I do I let the engine completely cool, then crank it just before I hose it. That way things dry quickly. My thinking is if i did get too much overspray in the ignition components I will hear the engine skipping or stalling. I have never had that problem though. Honestly I have only done it a few times, mainly after winter since my monte is a daily driver.

Mines is a daily too, what all did you cover? And did you warm the car up then spray/scrub then let it cool?

GTHSS 05-22-2016 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by owens91 (Post 690022)
Mines is a daily too, what all did you cover? And did you warm the car up then spray/scrub then let it cool?

I didn't cover anything though it is probably a good idea to cover some electrical. I didn't have any real greasy grime to clean luckily, so no scrubbing and I did it cold. I was mainly spraying off sand and dust from everything. VA uses a salt/sand mixture on the winter roads. Nasty stuff. It gets everywhere.

owens91 05-22-2016 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by GTHSS (Post 690031)
I didn't cover anything though it is probably a good idea to cover some electrical. I didn't have any real greasy grime to clean luckily, so no scrubbing and I did it cold. I was mainly spraying off sand and dust from everything. VA uses a salt/sand mixture on the winter roads. Nasty stuff. It gets everywhere.

yea in pa i know we use just rock salt, i know i wanna get all of the leaves and whatnot in the tight spaces, ill use the simple green and a tooth brush first.make sure i cover the altenator and the coil packs just to be safe

Tadcaster 05-23-2016 07:59 AM

Used Mequiars on the Deuce and now using it on Wild Thing. Used to use Mother's was ok but not as good as Mequiars.

Thinking about Adam's but need to use up all my old stuff first

jakefluker 05-23-2016 10:31 PM

Been using Meguiars products for years and will continue, quik detailer works great after washes, also the quik wax. Protects your paint from the sun, and leaves a very good shine!

jakefluker 05-23-2016 10:34 PM

As for cleaning engine bay I would suggest putting on some latex gloves and using some cleaning wipes first then use armor all wipes to restore shine. Just time consuming but it's worth it! Never hose down engine bay in my opinion but if you choose to leave vehicle running.

chifan 05-24-2016 02:43 PM

I will use a VERY low, fine mist when spraying the engine bay. A little Simple Green, then a little soap, then some shine to finish it. I don't do it very often, but it never gets very dirty, either. This photo was from the last time I cleaned it, back in January...

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/me...0-16-25693.jpg

chifan 06-19-2016 07:52 PM

I just ordered a slew of stuff from Autogeek in a kit for machine polishing. I would call myself a novice at machine polishing, but that would imply that I have a small amount of experience, which I do not. Therefore, I will be at the mercy of my MCF brethren to let me know exactly what I should be buying as far as polishing compounds and such to do this kind of work. Thank you in advance for any help that the resident pros here can offer....

BTW, if it matters, what I purchased is this kit:

Meguiars MT300 Dual Action Pro Kit FREE SHIPPING!

shawn parker 06-19-2016 09:27 PM

Could it get any shinier ?
I once took all the trim and badges off a blazer and machine buffed and polished, buy good quality pads and bonnets and keep moving never to long on any spot or area
best I have for you

shawn parker 06-19-2016 09:32 PM

I told the local paint guy to get my new bumper and let me know when ready for install, I'll have to post before and after on that :)

chifan 06-21-2016 08:54 PM

UPS says my kit will be delivered by end of day Friday..... I'm going to go to Autozone and pick up some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish to start with.... Kinda looking forward to this!

jakefluker 06-23-2016 04:53 PM

Trying out a new product Fastwax , what I like about this is that you can use your car, windows etc. Only can order online @fastwax.net

GTHSS 07-02-2016 09:50 AM

Nice '83 Jake!

Mels SS 07-05-2016 09:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
All I use is Adams Products.
Attachment 20190

Twlg 08-12-2016 06:10 AM

Four star ultimate paint protection followed by a light coat of carnuba wax.

coolhand 09-14-2017 04:26 PM

Meguiars Gold Class is THE best car wash product. I use 2 wash buckets and mitts. One for the lower half of the car where the most dirt is. The other for the top half. The key is to NOT use the sprayer for the rinse. Take that off and just flood the car with water and most will drain right off.

GTHSS 09-15-2017 05:18 AM

Good tip. I will try it.