Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

HEADLIGHTS

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default HEADLIGHTS

I was wondering if there was anything I can use to clean the yellow build up on headlights ? I am talking about the foggy look you get on old headlights.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:10 AM
Default RE: HEADLIGHTS

From moisture inside the lens? Talk to your dealer or eBay and buy new headlight assemblies. ) No just kidding...I'm not sure if you can take the lens off the assembly or not, but if you can, do it and clean the inside of the lens.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:23 AM

Yeah you can get Headlight Repair Lense stuff, We have it at work, used with a buffer it works pretty good

Old 03-18-2008, 04:28 AM

go to eastwood tools.com i think it is or it might just be eastwood.com.
either way they have the stuff that you can use for this. and it is also a great place for ya if you restor anythign etc... tools galore for that type of thing to

Old 03-22-2008, 02:10 PM

I know it sounds weird, but i have used metal polish on like a powerball or something similar. if the haze is on the outside this will work... the only downfall to doing this is that you will need to keep at them bacause they will oxidize again fairly easily, but if you already have the things its cheaper than buyin the specail light kit which is the same concept

Old 03-22-2008, 02:19 PM

i wouldnt do it to any montes i've seen 2000 or newer, i just havent seen any in real bad shape, but ive used metal polish, paper towels and elbow grease on older vehicles with very good results.

the lights on my 2000 w/145,000 miles are still clear enough that i'd be afraid of what it might do to the lense... what ever you do, spot test first.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:50 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The yellow build up should be on the outside only. But if you do have any discoloration on the inside, you can separate the lens from the assembly.

You need a sharp utility knife, and a lot of patience. Once you remove the entire headlight assembly from the car, carefully cut the silicone sealing the clear lens to the rest of the assembly. Once you cut all the way around, it should separate no problem. I did this on my grand am to make my own "black" headlights.

To put it back together, you'll need to clean all the old silicone off of both pieces. Then seal with plenty of new weather proof silicone. You'll want to let the silicone dry before re-installing the assembly in the car.

That also helps if you have water or condensation getting into your headlight assembly.

As for cleaning the yellow build-up on your lens. There's lots of stuff you can get from a good local autoparts store. I used "Meguiar's Plastx" (clear plastic cleaner & polish) to get the yellow off my grand am's headlights.

What ever you use, I strongly recommend using a buffer.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:32 PM

Eastwood Headlight Kit and Re-finisher:

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...emType=PRODUCT

Old 03-24-2008, 07:11 PM

the good news is it should be on the out side.
the bad news is you can not take our lights apart that easy. I know i have done it for the same reason.
on the montes you cant heat them and do it either i knwo someone that tried it and melted his lights lol

but you can go to Ebay and find them pretty cheap for a set or one at a time as money allows etc...
Good luck

Old 03-24-2008, 10:02 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Haven't had totry it on a Monte yet. But on my grand am, I didn't have to heat up the assembly. Just a very sharp blade, some muscle, and care and patience.

Quick Reply: HEADLIGHTS