Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Fresh Paint, Now what?

Old 01-22-2013, 09:19 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Fresh Paint, Now what?

Hey Everyone! My Monte is in the shop getting a fresh coat of paint and it should be done by the end of the week and I am wanting to know how to properly take care of my new paint job. So here are my questions,

When is it ok to wash?
When should I do the first wax job?
What wax have you all had great success with?
Any tips on how to keep the shine?
Anything I need to know, like what i shouldn't do? lol

If you have any tips I would greatly appreciate it!

Old 01-27-2013, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jesusfrk01MC
Hey Everyone! My Monte is in the shop getting a fresh coat of paint and it should be done by the end of the week and I am wanting to know how to properly take care of my new paint job. So here are my questions,

When is it ok to wash?

Give it a couple weeks to cure

When should I do the first wax job?

minimum 3 months after paint. It needs time to "gas"

What wax have you all had great success with?

I absolutely LOVE Poorboy's Natty line of wax. Cheap and offers one hell of a shine. PM if you need a link.

Any tips on how to keep the shine?

Keep it washed using a good mitt, wash, and chamois. Clay bar it with quality clay 2 times a year. Wax it every 3-4 months.

Anything I need to know, like what i shouldn't do? lol

DO NOT let birds crap on it for a couple months. The acidity will eat the paint right up.

If you have any tips I would greatly appreciate it!
My answers under yours. My paint is going on 5 years old and is still in immaculate shape after many, many miles. I only use quality products on it, wash it at minimum every 2 weeks and keep it waxed.

How I found it OCT 2008.

Name:  DSCF0773.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  68.4 KB

As of a couple week ago (snow now)

Name:  4D757F3B-B679-44E8-B272-32A34C6DC7D4-3358-0000043C2AEEDED2.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  321.4 KB

Old 01-27-2013, 07:46 AM

On fresh paint I wait around 6 weeks before washing. If you go before that don't rub hard and NEVER wash in any direction other than straight lines. My body guy always has me wait 3 months before waxing.

I use both paint sealant for protection (twice a year) and a quality liquid wax every 3-4 months. Liquids last longer than pastes, but paste wax has a better shine.

Also I try to claybar my car after winter to remove the salt and strip the old wax that I put on before winter.

Last edited by Mike 00LS; 01-27-2013 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:23 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Always Always....Use products designed for clearcoat finishes...

Dont use something your Dad used 20 yrs ago....
Back then paint was either Laquer or Enamel . and contained lead
These clear coats are a whole new animal....So becareful and choosey about what you use.

Now adays these clear coat finishes demand proper attention to detail if you want to keep it in tip top condition...Dont use harmful detergents (Laundry or dish soap) Use a high quality soap meant for washing your vehicle..

I also recommend useing a 2 bucket system...
1 for washing (soap) and 1 for rinseing...
Also...wash your whole vehicle before rinseing off the soap...That way it doesnt leave water spots while your trying to wash other areas of your vehicle...That way you rinse it and then dry it in 1 step.

As mentioned before...Claybaring definately helps keep your finsh smooth and clean....at least once a year or if your paint (finish) starts to feel gritty.

After clay baring....Use a high quality polish... Then seal it with a high quality Polish....
Never use a towel (its to abrasive) to dry your vehicle polish/wax....
I recommend useing a Microfiber towel/polishing/waxing cloth.
They are reuseable...so you can wash these towels for re use in the future.

Hope this helps!
Im sure other members will chime in with other great points to preserveing your newly painted finish..

Old 01-27-2013, 12:47 PM

Thanks Guys, Much Appreciated!

Old 01-27-2013, 06:02 PM

Dont wax it for at least 3 months. And you can wash it after the paint just be extra careful when washing it. Use A LOT of soap, DO NOT rub hard. Keep it clean as long as possible and when it needs it, wash it. ALSO! DO NOT LET BIRD CRAP SIT ON YOUR CAR. Right when you see it get it off as soon as possible cause it has an acid in it that will eat the paint. This goes for fresh paint and old paint. Doesnt matter cause it eats through it whether its old or fresh.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:05 PM

If the Paint Job included wet-sanding and clear-coating, ... they probably buffed-it-out after the clear dried.

If that's the case, ... you're good to wash it ... because they probably washed it before delivering the car to you.

As the other comments have suggested, ... get a cleaning product "Clear-coat friendly"!

Old 01-27-2013, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by RickCoMatic
If the Paint Job included wet-sanding and clear-coating, ... they probably buffed-it-out after the clear dried.

If that's the case, ... you're good to wash it ... because they probably washed it before delivering the car to you.

As the other comments have suggested, ... get a cleaning product "Clear-coat friendly"!
Almost every body shop will do this.^^^
My fathers owned a body shop for 30 years and we have always done things right. Wet sand, buff, and detail everything EXCEPT waxing it. Just keep it clean after it comes out of the shop and follow what others and I have said above and you should be golden

Old 01-27-2013, 11:03 PM

Follow advice & timing from above, if you want a great resource for the shine go to Adam's polishes. I use the products on all my cars, even if you don't the forums are a great resource for keeping your Monte in perfect shine. Link below to the site, free forum and by joining you get a 10% discount.

Good luck and enjoy your ride!

Adam's Premium Car Care - Cleaners, Waxes and Polishes Made in the USA

Old 01-27-2013, 11:41 PM

I use a variety. But I Use All of Wizards accessories most of the time!

Thanks for visiting Wizards Products!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Fresh Paint, Now what?