Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Detailing (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/detailing-10/)
-   -   6th Gen ('00-'05): Engine bay pressure washing? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/detailing-10/engine-bay-pressure-washing-42054/)

zjerry 03-23-2013 05:04 PM

I just use simple green an hose it off , But I have one hose that has street pressure.., My neighbors like the pressure on that hose..LOL

lougreen03 03-24-2013 03:12 AM

If your gonna clean the hood insulation take it out and let it dry after. When I did mine and closed the hood it was dripping everywhere.

06mistreSS 03-24-2013 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by turbo monte (Post 536637)
Once its clean wipe it down more often and you won't have to take the hose to it.

X2 once you get it clean, wipe it down or detail it once and a while and you won't have to take a hose to it again.

I would say watch the degreaser on the actual paint under the hood because it's not cleared. Anything can leave spots on bare paint if you leave it sit for too long and/or don't wipe it off after.

Enzo354 03-24-2013 01:23 PM

I don't like taking a pressure washer to my car. It is already 13 years old and some of those plastic connectors worry me. I know with enough pressure something is going to get messed up. I am a big fan of simple green and a garden hose because I have enough stuff to fix the way it is lol.

aintnunbutapenut 03-24-2013 02:15 PM

Yeah I'll just high pressure wash the hard grimy parts and low pressure across the engine once or twice to rinse the degreaser and shine it up nicely afterwards

red04montels 03-24-2013 10:37 PM

I wouldn't use high pressure at all, too much that could go wrong...

Use simple green on the grimy parts, use an open hose and your thumb on the end, that's all the pressure you will need

aintnunbutapenut 03-25-2013 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by trewyn15 (Post 537073)

Use simple green on the grimy parts, use an open hose and your thumb on the end, that's all the pressure you will need

Ok that sounds good

The_Maniac 03-25-2013 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by trewyn15 (Post 537073)

No guts, no glory lol.

I only use the pressure washer when I have an engine that is really grimy (I'm also using a can of engine degreaser and a brush to aggitate some of the real bad spots). But as long as you keep up on it, a garden hose and less aggressive method works (such as using simple green, great product I might add).

coolfonz 04-13-2013 04:58 PM

I'm looking at doing this when the weather gets nicer as well. I've just been always afraid to get the wrong thing wet. I got a long road ahead of me. I've never cleaned it, but it isn't nearly as bad as it could be.