Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Engine Bay Colors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 01:12 PM
Default Engine Bay Colors?

Alright, here is gonna be a fun topic.
After all of my work is done later this year ( probably later winter, lol ) on my Monte, I am going to want to paint the entire engine bay. I was thinking about either chroming the heck out of it, or painting everything in there red, or another color. I would, obviously, have to take everything apart, and paint it individually, mainly because it would be a mess otherwise.

My question is this:

Do you recommend that if I go chrome, I take it somewhere to have the stuff dipped? Or is there a high-temp paint that applies nicely that someone can recommend?

Same goes for red...

Anyone have any suggestions? I am planning on taking this car to ALOT of car shows next spring (talk about advanced planning, eh?) and I want to turn alot of heads while doing it!

I look forward to seeing everyone's opinions, as I am still open to suggestions for paint schemes, etc.

As always, it's a pleasure.

-Keegan

Old 06-18-2007, 01:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: Engine Bay Colors?

red would look pretty sweet! chrome would have to be dipped, spray stuff doesn't look right @ all, that would ruin the look completely.

i kind of like the firewalls and fender wheels black still with all the accents red, looks very nice

Old 06-18-2007, 01:20 PM

I saw one the other day that had all bolts red, with a chromed out engine, and painted their plastic engine dressing cover white.. was very unique, and clean. Though if both you and I go with the Whipple, the cover will be out.. lol

Old 06-18-2007, 05:29 PM

Or you could get the entire engine red and all of the little stuff and then have the body panels in the engine bay cromed and the firewall cromed.
(dont know how you would do it though)

i think that would look really clean and stand out alot at a car show

Old 06-18-2007, 05:37 PM

sounds great! But How would I get those panels out?! lol

It would literally make the bay look HUGE because it would reflect everything in it!

Old 06-18-2007, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member

yah those panels aren't removable without cutting, so when you put them back in you would lose that finish, some of the stuff is removable like the rad support but i think thats it

Old 06-18-2007, 08:09 PM

Well, then looks like I'll deal with it and leave it alone. What kind of paint do you recommend? I have seen high-temp paint at autozone, but I would like something that I KNOW other people have used with success.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:46 PM

Prep work is the key.... And I've seen people make sort of a jigsaw type thing to glue on, then just chrome the individual pieces. Just etch a number in the back so you know what goes where. It looks allright if done with care, and it's a heck of a lot easier to install. Plus you can use the cuts to make designs, spell out the cars name, theme, or model.... or a bowtie, or just spell out Chevrolet... etc

Overall it will add weight to the car, but is it a race car or a show car? Also, it's really easy to tell if chrome is dirty, so you'll be cleanin it all the time, and if you don't polish them and round out all the edges you'll end up ripping rags to shreds while cleaning it.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:56 AM
5 Year Member

the best way to do it is to actually use car paint like dupont or martin senor (sherwin williams) or something like that and have it sprayed with base clear, that way it looks like the rest of the car

Old 06-19-2007, 11:34 AM

In response to flynhghr, it is going to be a fast car, but definitetly a show car. I appreciate your response, and now that you have said that, have gotten me thinking.

As far as WizzKid's idea with the clear coat overtop, I really like that, as it will almost look like it came stock from the manufacturer, versus some cheap paint job by el-cheapo car owner...

Thanks

Quick Reply: Engine Bay Colors?