Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Cleaning up my tires.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:56 PM
1 Year Member
Default Cleaning up my tires.

Well, I just finished up detailing the monte and everything looks great.. that is, except my tires. I didn't want to go out and buy anything new just yet so I did some research online to see if anything I had could be used and I found a thread where a guy was talking about using Deep Purple to clean the actual tire itself. Is this okay and how much would I have to dilute it to do this? I am aware that it is strong enough to strip paint from metal.. so how is it going to be safe on my tires?

Thanks.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:12 PM

I've never used DP but I swear by Simple Green.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:25 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Dillute battery acid 1/1 with clorox. Dip your hand in the bucket with a rubber rag and let the cleaning of tires begine.

JKJKJKJKJK DO NOT DO THAT LOL

Old 11-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i'd say just go with good old dish soap anda brush... then apply tire shine and wax your rims(if you have ones worth it)

Old 11-12-2009, 09:13 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

for me the tire shine products always turn my wheels brown unless I am shining them up every other day.

I just clean them up with soap and water.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:42 AM

i guess i'm not familiar with deep purple. it should have directions on how to dilute it on the bottle right??

i use Red Thunder degreaser concetrate. i fill a spray bottle about a 1/3 to 1/2 full with red thunder, then fill the rest with water. spray liberally on the tire and let it sit for 3 mins or so (i can now see the grime melting off my tire), then scrub with a stiff bristle brush and rinse. if i'm lazy, i let it sit and then hit it hard w/ the pressure washer.

this method works great and i've used it for years. i would bet any degreaser concentrate would work. i even use the same degreaser to clean my rims at the same time as my tires.

EDIT: FYI, i used armorall tire shine to get a nice finished look. it lasts for a long time and doesn't leave a nasty residue, unless you go drive down a dusty gravel road, then all the dust sticks to it.

Last edited by drewskie043; 11-12-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

i usually use whatever wheel cleaner i am useing to scrub down a tire.

I use meguiars hot shine tire gell to shine the tires and my tires never turned brown from it like the armoal stuff used to. it last for like 3 weeks as well even in rain i often need to clean my wheels b4 i need to shine tires!!!

and dont use spays they never last even the meguiars hot shine spray doesnt last the gel is ur best bet!

Old 11-20-2009, 10:32 AM
1 Year Member

Well, if you're using a degreaser, I guessed it would be safe. I tried it on a portion of the tire and it worked great full strength so I ended up doing them, thanks guys. As far as the browning, I've heard that can be variable depending on what your tire is made out of and what additives they've put in it like permablack or whatever else tire companies are using these days. I really don't want to take any risk using a silicone based tire dresser after some of the stuff I've read. Thanks for the imput and stuff.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Default Cleaning up my tires

I have always used soap and water and a brush.. Likle jaws 2008 i use meguirs hot shine tire gel and i can also say i have to clean everything else before i have re-do the the tires.. Armoral does not work well and like he said dont ever use the foam spray it goes all over.. A hint get a pack of the tire gel applicators they are the shape of a sidewall and they work grerat.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:20 AM
1 Year Member

Eugh. I went to the car wash earlier this week and used their soap and thought I sprayed it off completely, but long story short my tires (which have tons of tread left on them) in the back browned on some spots. I've never used that place before, either. I just need to get a pressure washer at home. :/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cleaning up my tires.