Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Bowtie Overlays

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Bowtie Overlays

GraphixWerks
Here is the link to a site with several vinyl products for Montes and other vehicals, I've already gotten several overlays from them for various little things on my car and today I noticed that they now have overlays for the bowties that it seems goes under the plastic where the gold foil was...

Overlay

Old 02-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Default RE: Bowtie Overlays

Awesome site thanks!!!

Old 02-05-2008, 05:15 PM

No problem, they've got all sorts of stuff.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:08 AM

Nice find, Garrett.I was looking through your pics and saw the black bowtie, did you get that from GraphixWerks? How hard was it to change out? Also, where did you get the Chevrolet for the rear brake light?

Thanks,
Mark

Old 02-06-2008, 09:23 PM

I did get the Chevy break light from that site, as for the black bowtie, I just took it apart (I actually broke the first one I tried...) and the gold is just some foil that's stuck to the back of the plastic. After getting that all off I painted it black with some black enamel model paint.

I posted pictures on here when I did it, I'll see if I can find them...

Here we go, my pictures are on the 4th page, but the whole thread is about how to go about doing it.
Front and Rear Emblems

Old 02-07-2008, 12:05 AM

Thanks, Garrett. Is that 3rd brakelight cover on your car just the "Regular Black"?

Old 02-07-2008, 11:36 AM

It is, wasn't too hard to put on either. I had to take the light out, which is held in by two bolts. Then I sanded off the dot raised letters to give is a flatter mounting surface. If you're going to sand it make sure and have a fine grit sandpaper, I used 400 to start then went up to 800. With this being plastic it does dull anywhere you sand, but there are products out there that will bring the shine back, I have some at home for my 400EX but I did the cover in Montana so I didn't use any. Depending on how accurate your sanding is some dullness can show through the letters.

The instruction sheet that comes with it suggests a plastic repairing deal and has other suggestions for various steps. Over all I think it took maybe an hour 'cause I was using a little pocket wrench to get the bolts off and that took me about 15 minutes in itself, my suggestion for the bolts and saving time is a drill with the torque setting turned down so you don't strip anything as they aren't all that big.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:13 AM

Garrett, Thanks for posting this and reminding me. Lol. I happen to have a spare emblem from when I purchased my extra grille for the billet grille I did.

It's for the front, with the double stick tape still not used.

I was going to try and remove the clear plastic piece from the metal housing, how in the HECK do they come apart? lol I mean I pried and pried and short of breaking the thing I don't think it's possible to get it off!

I was going to see if the front and rear emblem are the same, but I'm thinking the mounting is going to be different. The housing in the grille for it has some sort of plastic tab for positioning, and I don't see how the trunk could have that, being sheet metal not plastic. No biggie, I have no use for this if it doesn't fit on the trunk anyway, but still was curious, lol.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:25 PM

Yeah, the front and back emblems are the same, the one on the trunk has the hole in it, but there isn't any ridge in the sheet metal to hold it there so it doesn't make any difference in the mounting. That clear plastic was a bitch, and that's how I ended up breaking the first one I tried 'cause I pried too hard. I have an eraser shield that came in a drafting kit that I have, I used this to work down and around the edges. The plastic is stuck to the chrome bit with some of that tape I do believe.

Basically if you have something that's pretty thin and flexible, try to get that down around the edges on one side to try and loosen it up. Once it gets loosened up you should be able to slide whatever you're using further under the plastic, you might scrap some of the foil off or you might just slice the tape in half, either way works just fine.

Make sure you don't pry on the plastic very much, after sliding something under it after awhile and slicing up that tape it should start to pull away more and more. Once enough of the tape or whatever is cut, the plastic will kinda just pop off. I cut into it about an inch on all sides and then I was able to slide along the underside and it came right off.

Then you've got that damn foil to worry about, some of it will peel right off while the rest of it clings to the plastic like none other. What I ended up doing was peeling the larger chunks off, then I took some gorilla tape, rolled it in a loop, and started pulling the foil off with the tape.

Once the foil is off you can paint or stick whatever you want to the back of the plastic.

Here's my eraser shield, note the bent corners that happened trying to get it under the plastic...

Old 02-09-2008, 01:11 AM

Dude, that was ingenious! I would've never thought of sommat like that... Now to find something that will work like it, lol!

I imagine heating it up will help to, maybe a few minutes under a hair dryer will help loosen that adhesive.

I'd Love to get this one painted stock color and just replace the rear w/it since they're interchangeable.

Hey Garrett, I owe ya one, thanks for the information! If I'm ever in Wyoming I'll buy u a beer, or hey, if ur ever in Eastern Iowa... lol. (except 2/17-2/20/2008, I'm on vacation)

Quick Reply: Bowtie Overlays