Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Blackening trim

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 07:24 AM
1 Year Member
Default Blackening trim

Hey everyone, So my 2006 Monte Carlo SS is losing the blackness to most of the trim, mostly around the sunroof. Is there anyway to restore that to a nice dark black the way it should be? I have seen Mothers back to black but I have also read mixed reviews on it.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:45 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I use Mother's Back to Black on the rubber trim around the windows with good success. The trim hadn't been treated in so long the first time I used it I had to apply two coats to get a nice, dark even appearance, but just a touch up once a month since then has kept it looking like new. I use white lithium grease on the sun roof seal to keep it soft, pliable and looking like new.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:56 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I also use back to black.

That wipe-new stuff is tempting to try. Give it a go and give us a review

Old 01-15-2013, 10:21 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member

A product which has a very universal application I use is called Super Blue by JAX WAX. This seems to last forever. Good on your black mirror backs, head light and tail lights, wire looms, weather stripping etc.

Professional Grade Exterior Solvent Based Dressing for Tires and any Rubber, Plastic and Vinyl Trim

•Easily Restores Fading
•Protects and Prevents Fading, Cracking and Other Harmful UV Effects
•Pleasant Scent
•Can be used on Damp Surfaces with Excellent Results
•Long Lasting - the product will not wash right off like water-based dressings
•Dries Completely - Will Not Stay Tacky After Application
•Great Protection and Luster on Vinyl and Convertible Tops, Tonneau Covers without Streaking or Run Off
•Safe and Will not Stain Painted Surfaces

Old 01-15-2013, 10:32 AM

i used white lithium on the sunroof but it swelled up so big that it sticks when opening now -_- i have to punch it to pop it out

Old 01-15-2013, 12:35 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
A product which has a very universal application I use is called Super Blue by JAX WAX. This seems to last forever. Good on your black mirror backs, head light and tail lights, wire looms, weather stripping etc.

Professional Grade Exterior Solvent Based Dressing for Tires and any Rubber, Plastic and Vinyl Trim

•Easily Restores Fading
•Protects and Prevents Fading, Cracking and Other Harmful UV Effects
•Pleasant Scent
•Can be used on Damp Surfaces with Excellent Results
•Long Lasting - the product will not wash right off like water-based dressings
•Dries Completely - Will Not Stay Tacky After Application
•Great Protection and Luster on Vinyl and Convertible Tops, Tonneau Covers without Streaking or Run Off
•Safe and Will not Stain Painted Surfaces

I'm definitely try this stuff on my tonneau cover. On my Silverado. Thanks for the post Greg!

Last edited by STUMPMI; 01-15-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:59 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
A product which has a very universal application I use is called Super Blue by JAX WAX.

Have you tried Lucas Slick Mist? If so, why has this become your preference? Sorry for all the questions but I'm always on the hunt for products that work better and make my job easier.

Originally Posted by MonteSSS
i used white lithium on the sunroof but it swelled up so big that it sticks when opening now -_- i have to punch it to pop it out
I think I remember you mentioning this once before. Your sunroof seal is the first time I have ever heard of lithium grease causing rubber to react like that. I've used it for literally decades as well as others on weatherstrip and rubber seals with no ill effects. That sucks it made your seal swell, but hopefully yours is an isolated incident and nobody else has a problem.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
I use Mother's Back to Black on the rubber trim around the windows with good success. The trim hadn't been treated in so long the first time I used it I had to apply two coats to get a nice, dark even appearance, but just a touch up once a month since then has kept it looking like new.
I tried Black-to-Black on my trim around my windows as it's so nasty, gray and dry. Even after several treatments, letting it set overnight even, no dice.

On the KIA however, I have the matte black portions on my front and rear bumper which starts to get a gray sheen after a few months, Back-To-Black once a month after a wash and she's black as the ace of spades again.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member

I came across this at a car show while in California in 2009. The demonstration presented sold me on the product as far as trying it. It has now been 3 years and I have not had a desire to change produts due to it's versatility. I use it on painted areas (mirror backs, the black metal trim betwen the door and the quarter windows. Taillights and all over my engine hoses, looms, plastic headlight housings, lenses, my tires etc. I buy it in the gallon jug now. It is very long lasting and leaves a very nice luster. They also have many other products, I use their Swirl remover to remove etched in water spots and Cherry wax for a real wet finished look. Scope out their web site.... It is cheaper to buy it from their website than on eBay from JEGS, as all orders over $100 ship free.

SEE LINK BELOW:

Car Wax and Polish by Jax Wax Car Care Products

Old 01-16-2013, 07:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Zippy, I have been looking for something to dress up the engine compartment. That might be the ticket. Thanks

Quick Reply: Blackening trim