Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Bits and pieces

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 03:11 PM
Default Bits and pieces

Okay, I've got a few details that need checking out.

First, I've got a missing bolt on this.. and well, I actually don't know what this is.. [thinking it's the intake, but I'm not sure.]

Never even touched this part of the engine before.

Second, there's a missing airbox clamp. Now, I would like to just get rid of the airbox and put in a CAI, but that's not an option right now.

It was missing when before I installed the K&N air filter.Do you think the dealership will replace this.

Thirdly, my splash gaurd in the wheel well is cracked [at least I think it's called a splash gaurd]

It rubs against the front passenger-side tire when I make sharp left turns.

Do you think the dealership will replace these bits and pieces?

Old 08-15-2006, 06:34 PM
Default RE: Bits and pieces

i bet your out of your warrenty on this and if you have no ability with wrenches yeah the dealer will replace them but i bet you would be better off doing them your self unless you have real deep pockets.

as far as the CAI system for the car those are east to make your self for little to no money out going other then the filter and some clamps and time.

the bolt your mising is on the head or the heat sheild is what it looks like in the photo this is not a good thing i would first of all see if you can get a coat hanger in to it to find out if there is not one broke off in there. if it is then you fist need to get it out before replaceing it with a new one. if it was my car i would also replace the gaskets to make sure they are in good shape having one bolt misisng there could be due to a few reasons and i would want to make sure i knew why. Also to just replace it take it to your dealer and show the parts guy this photo and tell him you need one that will fit it. im sure he can look it up to find it for you.

the splash guard i would go to the bone yard and find one off another monte carlo of this body stlye the are on ever car and most of them will not change from what i have seen or heard for our gen monte's

why you are at the bone yard see if you can find a Ford Escape look for the tube that gose from the fender well to the intake and back to the motor it has some curves in it and a flexibel end on one side made out of plastic. the one i have is off of the 4 banger edition.
take that part. it is about 3 inches round on the end where it gose to the fender well.

This si a prefect fit for your car if you have the 3800 motor in your monte. it will go in to the end of the intake tube on your car and will go over to teh fender well in your front left side of the car. the sensors etc.w ill fit in thier normal places and then all you will need to find is a 90 deg elbow and a filter it will be a true fender well intake system for your car. i have a K&N cone filter on mine with the chrome sheild this is to prevent it from getitng to much water in to it if it should ever happen ( i have had mine in with this set up for over a year now and nothing has ever gotten in to it at high speeds and low and delibertly runnign threw water puddels)

then you need to make a smakk bracket or find one for the filter to hold it to your fender. then you will be done with this part of it.

Now you need to find the PCM tray out of a 97 or newer chevy Blazer the smaller one not a ful sized one. they have thier PCMs on the top of the water bottel on the passenger side of thier truck. but you need the tray that mounts it to the water bottel. This will be the new home for your PCM in your car. just put it wher eyou want it and attach it to your car now slide the PCM from your car in to it and plug it back in and hook up the bat. you now have a cold air induction system for less then 30.00 and it will sound like you started a shop vac when you start your car up for the first time.

Let me know if ya need some help with it. I can talk you threw it if needed.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:21 AM

The bolt your missing does go into the head but it is supposed to be missing. It is a hole for different style of motor mounts. They just drill and tap all the holes and only use ones needed so it isn't anything to worry about.

Old 08-16-2006, 07:24 AM

thats good to know . i have the 3800 and mine seem to all have bolts on them . so im glad someone knew beter then i on this one. \
hate to have to pull the top end apart to find it out LOL that would SUCK!!

Old 08-16-2006, 07:05 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I will probably hit up a junkyard in about a week or so.

I would really like to install/fabricate that custom CAI and save some major $$$. First thing though, I'm a complete layman for much of the engine. Why are you suggesting I find a different PCM tray? My Hayne's manual doesn't even show the PCM, so I really don't know what it looks like or where it is. Though it does mention The PCM on these models is located in the left front corner of the engine compartment, in the air cleaner housing. Remvoce the left diagonal brace (between the driver's side front fender and the radiator support). Remove the air cleaner duct and the cover of the air cleaner housing. To me, that sounds like the PCM is inside the air box. Is this true?

Old 08-16-2006, 11:13 PM

yep thats true u spilt the air box in half and there it is

Old 08-17-2006, 08:34 AM

the pcm tray out of the blazzer mounts to teh water bottel and it is suposed to fit ours so when you remove the air box it will beabel to mont there and take the place so that it will hold your pcm in place.
I made a mount for mine out of some sheet metal i had here and it is working fine but still trying to make a new onw to allow me to tweek it and get one with a cover on to it.

Old 08-17-2006, 04:07 PM

Another dumb question. Why is there a water bottle? Do you mean the coolant resevoir? I've never heard of a water bottle in the engine bay, but that isn't saying much. And should the PCM tray be mounted somewhere not touching the frame?

Old 08-19-2006, 06:44 PM

the pcm tray can mount touching the fram dont know why not it is now. in the air box.

yes the water bottel is the coolant resivor. just if your from the old days water bottel and puke can were used more offten then the "proper terms"

so t would be slang for coolant resivor or the catch can