Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

anyone got underglow?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 12:12 PM
Default anyone got underglow?

a buddy of mine is trying to convince me to get underglow for my car. but i am not sure if i want to. i know i want to put the F1 body kit on. but if i do go with the underglow, should i put the body kit on first? or just screw the underglow idea completely?

Old 04-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Default RE: anyone got underglow?

I've got a set of the StreetGlow 7 Color LEDs, it's inoperable at the moment as I seem to have fried the controller (which is covered under warranty if I ever find a proof of purchase).

I'd say to choose on your own, some of us like 'em and some are totally against. You will probably want to put the bodykit on first for sure, that way when you mount the tubes if you do, you can put them somewhere that won't interfere and still shine light.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:54 PM

I agree, you'll want to put the body kit on first so you know where you can run the underglows. I had a Streetglow green neon kit on my firebird, worked perfect from the day I put it on till the day I sold it. I've been eye'n a Red LED underglow kit though for the monte. Are you thinking of going with a neon kit or LED kit?

Old 04-16-2008, 10:03 PM

Out of curiousity, which color underglow (assuming you are going with a single color) do you plan on getting? I have a 2001 silver SS as well and was looking at underglows and thinking of the white one. Just curious what you think would look best on a silver car.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:15 PM

I got hustled about my underglow for the first time last week. I'm on a first name basis with most of the cops in town so they don't usually bother me, but the one that talked to me about it was new. He said that you can have anything but red, white or blue. So green, orange, purple, etc. are fine apparently. At least in the state of Iowa. But I love the look of red neon on a black car, and even though it's illegal, I would definately go with blue neon on a silver car.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:19 PM

I had green on my blacked-out firebird and it looked really good. I do want to go with Red this time to match the red SS's on my monte. With silver you could go with about any color but I would probly go with blue or white.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:07 PM

white is to plain for me on a silver car, i already had red neon on a silver it looked ok. but blue looks the best on a silver car i think, so thats what i am going with. now led vs. neon, well i want to lean more towards the neon side. i had red led's before and i didn't like how worked. its kinda hard to explain but to put it simply they would dim for a second switch to other bulbs on the strip, then switch back. i didn't feel it kept a constant stream of color. you could notice the diming and it ruined the effect i feel.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:17 AM

Ah cool, thanks for the heads up, I will go with neons again. I'm looking at this kit: http://www.streetglow.com/site/undercarkit.an100.php

Old 04-17-2008, 07:31 AM

i went with the leds simply because their better. you bust a tube or something on a neon and its ruined but with the led they still work. their brighter, better, and if you forget and leave them on overnight they wont drain your battery like neons would. now this dimming effect that a member posted ive had my led tubes since 12/06 and ive never had that sort of problem. and i bought the set offa ebay that cost 30 bucks too. just my .02 but id never ever even think of tubes while leds are on the market. plus they make led tubes that can do 42 million colors all in 1 tube so if you want say red but u decide u dont like that look you can simply touch a button on the controller and go to green ect... but its completely up to you

Old 04-17-2008, 10:09 AM

LED sets seem to be a little cheaper. Plus hit up oznium for some flexible led strips and create your own wheel well kits super cheap. LEDs seem like the way to go because I've never (besides in this post XP) heard a bad thing about them. They are durable, and if you live in the northern part of this continent the weather conditions and potholes would obliterate your neon tubes.

Quick Reply: anyone got underglow?