Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

adhesive remover

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Photobucket
Default adhesive remover

hey my fellow mcfers LOL heres the problem, when i took the ugly gray cracked trim ugly stuff off the front of my car to put my billet grill on it left some of the 2 sided tape on the bumper, well i got most of it off but i have some pesky adhesive that wont remove itself from my bumper, does anybody have any ideas on how to remove this w/out damaging the paint?

thanks a ton

Old 05-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: adhesive remover

when i took stuff off my truck i used paint thinner...now i know people are gonna say not to use this because it will hurt your paint...but it didn't hurt mine...i dont think paint thinner will harm paint that is dry and hard...its only called paint thinner to thin out paint when its still liquid...

little amounts on a rag though..and it should remove that pesky adheisive

Old 05-17-2007, 10:58 AM
Photobucket

ORIGINAL: wiz kidd

when i took stuff off my truck i used paint thinner...now i know people are gonna say not to use this because it will hurt your paint...but it didn't hurt mine...i dont think paint thinner will harm paint that is dry and hard...its only called paint thinner to thin out paint when its still liquid...

little amounts on a rag though..and it should remove that pesky adheisive

hmm im skeptical bout it so ill try a lil on the area behind the grill that u wont see anyway and go from there. heck its worth a shot, anybody else got any ideas?

Old 05-17-2007, 11:14 AM

When I worked at a dealership we used silicone spray to remove adhesive from trade-ins(old bumper stickers,oil change stickers in door jambsand stuff like that).If you are going to stick another adhesive there afterwards,just wipe the area with alcohol to remove the silicone residue.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:26 AM
Photobucket

ORIGINAL: Laserblue06ss

When I worked at a dealership we used silicone spray to remove adhesive from trade-ins(old bumper stickers,oil change stickers in door jambsand stuff like that).If you are going to stick another adhesive there afterwards,just wipe the area with alcohol to remove the silicone residue.
im just trying to remove it period cos the grill looks badass but then theres this ugly dirty residue left from the adhesive strip. sitting right in front of it and its totally [:'(]

Old 05-17-2007, 12:21 PM

I agree that the silicon spray is probably the best way, but you may also want to try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. They work pretty good at removing residue too. I've never used one on the paint before, so if youtry it,be carefuland don'tbe too agressive with it until you see how it does. The nice thing with the eraser is there are no chemicals involved.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:06 PM
Photobucket

yall mcfers reccomend any certain brand or name or anything? and where would i goto pick it up?

thanks

Old 05-17-2007, 01:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: scc24540

yall mcfers reccomend any certain brand or name or anything? and where would i goto pick it up?

thanks
Go to any hardware or drug store and ask for "OOPS" or "Goo Gone."

We use those products in the collectibles industry and they work well.

Follow the instructions very closely though.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:47 PM

I had to replace some trim on the driver's side door on my sisters car. It was held on by double sided tape as well. I just got some 3M advesive remover from Checker. Was like $8, but it worked awesomely.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:26 PM
Photobucket

ORIGINAL: SolaraSlayer

ORIGINAL: scc24540

thanks
Go to any hardware or drug store and ask for "OOPS" or "Goo Gone."

We use those products in the collectibles industry and they work well.

Follow the instructions very closely though.
ok i got the goo gone cos the oops said it isnt safe for plastics and it didnt touch it and i followed the directions to a T, i used one of those mr clean erasers and didnt touch it, used terpentine, paint thinner, and something called XD443 or something hell even used hot soapy water and all ive got now is that it isnt sticky no more its just well to describe it it looks like that paper that comes on new appliances that u hafta pull off when u open it but it wont budge, even bought that power scraper thing that is supposed to work in cooperation with the goo gone and still no go. and we dont have a checker anywhere near here and the local parts stores dont have the "3m" brand adhesive remover. any other options guys?

Quick Reply: adhesive remover