Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

*sigh* I give up on my Engine...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Unhappy *sigh* I give up on my Engine...

I dont know what to do anymore. I cleaned my intake manifold, put stainless steel w/ anodized hoses on, cleaned my valve cover, got wire covers on...idk what to do with the valve cover now. I used purple power and something went wrong on the valve cover. I dont really know what to do now. I just feel like tearing the engine out and dropping in a new one. (I dont have the money, or skills to). Im frustrated.

Please my fellow MC owners, please be real, true and honest about these pics and what you think of them. Let me know If It looks like a ricer with the chrome wire covers on it and let me know what i can do to make the valve cover look better. Thankyou all for your help and opinions.

Last edited by MonteLSV6; 04-24-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I like the upper radiator hose, and the hose in the back, but those cheap looking covers have to go.

A nice CAI will clean up your engine nicely

Old 04-24-2009, 04:33 PM

Before they started casting the "3400 SFI" into the upper intake manifold, they used to use a plastic engine cover like the 3800s come with.
One of these would cover up the valve covers I believe. They came on some of the Pontiac mini-vans that had the 3.4L engine.
You can paint the cover to match the theme of your car. http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.as...mode=1&smode=1

Otherwise, your only option for the valve covers is to paint them or polish them if they are aluminum.

-Riggs.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:39 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
I like the upper radiator hose, and the hose in the back, but those cheap looking covers have to go.

I agree... Also, you could see if you could have the intake manifold powder coated to go along with your car. Maybe Silver with white letters or something.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:44 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep

I agree... Also, you could see if you could have the intake manifold poweder coated to go along with your car. Maybe Silver with white letters or something.

Some of those Grand Prix guys have really done an excellent job.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:46 PM

I agree... Also, you could see if you could have the intake manifold powder coated to go along with your car. Maybe Silver with white letters or something.
You could paint the manifold with high heat paint if you wanted to do that also. I believe the Grand Am guys do this sometimes.

-Riggs.

Last edited by biggriggs; 04-24-2009 at 04:49 PM. Reason: double post...oops.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by biggriggs
Before they started casting the "3400 SFI" into the upper intake manifold, they used to use a plastic engine cover like the 3800s come with.
One of these would cover up the valve covers I believe. They came on some of the Pontiac mini-vans that had the 3.4L engine.
You can paint the cover to match the theme of your car. http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.as...mode=1&smode=1

Otherwise, your only option for the valve covers is to paint them or polish them if they are aluminum.

-Riggs.
I searched the net and couldn't find one. Do you happen to have a pic or a site where i might find it?

Old 04-24-2009, 07:09 PM

Well, ya but see I CANNOT find a frickin engine cover for a 3.4L. There's basically nothing performance wise for the 3.4L only for the 3.8L which I dont have. Would I just be able to paint the valve cover while its on the engine? I dont think I can polish the valve cover. I think its cast iron.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:05 AM

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2914091

Like I said, they came on some Pontiac minivans that had the 3.4L engine before they started casting the logo into the intake manifold. I don't think you can buy them new anymore, but I'd be surprised if a trip to the pick-n-pull yard didn't turn up a few. Just figure out which minivans would have them first.

There's basically nothing performance wise for the 3.4L only for the 3.8L which I dont have.
Since the 3.4L is the economy engine and the 3.8L is the performance engine then you're just cursed if you have an LS. Sorry.
There are a few performance parts around, but I'm not familiar with them at all. Since the 3.4L was the bigger engine for the Grand Ams, i know that there were some performance parts that are geared towards the GA that would work on your Monte. IIRC, there was even a turbo kit for the 3.4L at one point.

Would I just be able to paint the valve cover while its on the engine?
I don't see why not. I've never done it myself, but I'm sure you could mask everything off really well and paint it. Might be a pain in the *** to paint well without taking it off, but if you really wanted to I don't see why you couldn't.

-Riggs.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:42 PM

hm ok, thankyou....I guess I'll stop by at the junkyard and see if they have any 3.4L engine covers

Quick Reply: *sigh* I give up on my Engine...