Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

New car

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 05:21 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default New car

So I was at work the other day my summer job and I was thinking this will be my last year of college I have a 2005 Monte Carlo ss supercharged I love it but after school I should have good job and from right now I'm thinking I can spend are around 20 on a car in a year 1/2 to 2 years right now I'm thinking a 5th gen camaro or a c5 corvette or a 03-04 cobra all of these will be modded by me after I get the car all my current car has is an exhaust and an intake the new car would be getting more then this just wondering on opinions. I want a decently fast dd I'm 21 have no kids.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:30 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would get a Cobra, lots of aftermarket support for them, and it's typically very affordable. Lots of power to be had from those builds.

Hope you can get a great job not to long after school is over for you. We have some college grads taking jobs in a totally unrelated field as they fail to find degree related work. So hope you have a good field and can get to making money quickly, thus pursuing your car dreams.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'd go for the C5 or the Camaro. Ford has been using the same old Falcon frame/suspension for years and IMO it just can't handle the power. They are decent straight line cars, but they are TERRIBLE when it comes to cornering. The rear of the car will almost always try to come out from under you. They (Ford) finally got smart and put an independent suspension in the new models.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
I'd go for the C5 or the Camaro. Ford has been using the same old Falcon frame/suspension for years and IMO it just can't handle the power. They are decent straight line cars, but they are TERRIBLE when it comes to cornering. The rear of the car will almost always try to come out from under you. They (Ford) finally got smart and put an independent suspension in the new models.
You do know that the 03-04 cobras are independent rear not live axle and don't handle bad but the c5 will handle better and the reason the cobras on the list is cuz a pully swap and a tune I would be making some crazy power the vette would make really good power and would handle the best and a new camaro will have the best tec I also would not be against to a newer pony I know I would enjoy any of those the most important part is they are American. Sti are the only none us car I would look at but those cars get so moded then retured to stock I have heard way to many horror stories with them

Old 07-28-2014, 08:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by mikemollic
Sti are the only none us car I would look at but those cars get so moded then retured to stock I have heard way to many horror stories with them
I had an 04 STI, it was a total money pit , dumped it for what I paid for it, lost a few grand in repair money... OUCH!!

Old 07-28-2014, 08:53 PM

I think it depends on your goals. The Cobra is a beast out of the box and has lots of aftermarket. The nicest thing about the 03-04 Cobra is that the engine has all forged internals. About the only weak link is the rear end which most people swap out for a live rear axle which is stronger than an independent rear. The only people who talk bad about the live rear is people who don't have them. Every Mustang person likes the live rear more because of the power they can hold. And for not a whole lot of money you can make them handle just as well as an independent rear. Throw on some lowering springs, along with rear upper and lower control arms, Watt's link/adjustable panhard bar and you will have a very nice handling car. All the cars you listed are good cars, I'm not personally a fan on the 5th gen Camaro body but no one can deny that they are fast cars. Same with the Vette. But there is something about the Cobra that I personally love.....might have something to do with this video lol

Old 07-28-2014, 09:22 PM

I like nissan I would test drive all the cars your thinking about and see what you like

Old 07-29-2014, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by iMuf
I think it depends on your goals. The Cobra is a beast out of the box and has lots of aftermarket. The nicest thing about the 03-04 Cobra is that the engine has all forged internals. About the only weak link is the rear end which most people swap out for a live rear axle which is stronger than an independent rear. The only people who talk bad about the live rear is people who don't have them. Every Mustang person likes the live rear more because of the power they can hold. And for not a whole lot of money you can make them handle just as well as an independent rear. Throw on some lowering springs, along with rear upper and lower control arms, Watt's link/adjustable panhard bar and you will have a very nice handling car. All the cars you listed are good cars, I'm not personally a fan on the 5th gen Camaro body but no one can deny that they are fast cars. Same with the Vette. But there is something about the Cobra that I personally love.....might have something to do with this video lol

Pullied to Whippled: The Story of my Cobra: Part 2 - YouTube

He actually made a part 2 to the vid and that cobra is up to 700 hp no and that the color I would want cobras are nasty machine and I would keep the irs and just make it stronger and what I want is a big ol v8 and a that handles ok which the cobra the vette both do so does the camaro if I had to slim down to two it would probly be the vette and the cobra and I would not leave either stock and if it was a vette I would want the c5 zo6

Old 07-29-2014, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Chevrolet
I like nissan I would test drive all the cars your thinking about and see what you like
And I was looking at 350z before I got my second monte good cars but I don't think it's my style my exs dad had one I drove it was quick but idk it was missing somthing

Old 07-29-2014, 06:25 AM
Thumbs up Good Luck `Mike

Do your homework on each ride that you would like to have.
(Google's has lots of resources)...Then search & locate the ones you are thinking about & test drive the ones that you find for sale....

Also, I would visit the auto forum's of the cars that you like & get feedback from the owners....(You can learn a lot on the pro's & con's....

Wish you the best of Luck "Dream `it > Plan `it > Act `it"
Good Luck on finding what you can afford & enjoy

Peace/Out from Bum'Mike

Quick Reply: New car