Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

`SpaceBox Sold : )

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: `SpaceBox Sold : )

[align=center]Thanks RJ, & Shannon for your posts, your words.[/align][align=center]________________________________________-[/align][align=center]

1983-1988 Monte Carlo SS [/align][align=center]
[align=center]Written by Eric Peters
[/align][align=center]Sep 03 2008 [/align]

[align=center][/align][align=center]If you were a kid in high school (or college) during the mid-late 1980s and into fast cars you undoubtedly remember the last full-frame, rear-drive/live axle carbureted V-8 muscle car GM ever made:

The 83-88 Monte Carlo SS.
[/align][align=center]It was conceived at a time when memories of the original muscle cars of the 1960s and `70s still lingered before rap music, before front-drive rice rockets took over the hearts and minds of kids looking to impress the chicks on Friday nights. When people especially high school and college-age people thought about performance cars in the Reagan years, they thought almost reflexively about Five-O Mustang GTs, Tuned Port Injection IROC-Z Camaros and the brooding presence that was the SS Monte Carlo.

Its striking Winston Cup bodywork shovel-nose front end with quad headlights, blacked-out grille, monochromatic paint job, beefy Eagle GT tires and rumpety-rump sewer pipe-sized dual exhaust hanging prominently behind the rear axle
[/align][align=center]"pumpkin" made it an instant hit in 1983, the first year of production. Even better, the SS packed the goods to go with the stock car looks. Under that broad, flat hood sat the same basic "L69 HO" 305 cubic inch engine that became optional in the Camaro Z-28 and Pontiac Trans-Am that year. The 5-liter V-8 was pure old-time muscle from its cast iron block and heads to its aluminum medium-riser intake manifold and Rochester Quadrajet 750 CFM 4-barrel carburetor.

To goose output, Chevy fitted this engine with a high-lift Corvette camshaft, upped the compression to 9.5:1 and added a free-flow exhaust system with Corvette catalytic converter and a low-restriction air cleaner. Though this exact same engine was rated at 190-hp in the Z-28, the Montes version was downrated slightly, to 180-hp probably to avoid annoying the Camaro faithful.

Now, by modern standards, 180-hp doesnt seem all that impressive but in the mid-80s, it was top-shelf, with only a few high-performance models besting it (and even then, not by all that much).

A stock Monte Carlo SS was good for mid-15 second quarter mile runs and 0-60 blasts under 8 seconds plenty respectable for the era. But what made the car so much hee-haw fun was the easy burnouts (no traction control in those days), tire-chirping 1-2 upshifts through the turbo-hydramatic transmission and the redneck burble of a classic small block V-8. Flip the air cleaner lid to let the Q-Jet breathe deep, ax the catalytic converter and you were ready to rumble.

First year sales were decent but limited by available production capacity. Only 4,714 examples made it through the pipeline at a base MSRP of $10,474 (which was just slightly more expensive than the '83 Camaro Z-28s base price of $10,336). 1984 was much better with sales increasing nearly six-fold to 24,050. This trend continued into 1985, with sales climbing steadily to a production capacity limited 35,484. Chevy could have sold even more Montes if the two plants where they were built in Arlington, Texas and Pontiac, Michigan had been able to bolt more of them together but overall, the car's performance on the lot was every bit as solid as its performance on the street.

In 86, Chevy came out with a limited-edition version of the SS called the Aerocoupe designed with NASCAR competition in mind, just like in the good old days of the Plymouth Superbird and Charger Daytona.

The Aerocoupe was defined by its unique raised rear glass, which followed the roofline back to the tail to cut aerodynamic drag at high speeds. According to published figures, the swept-back "aero" rear glass reduced the cars drag coefficient
[/align][align=center]relative to the standard notchback SS by nearly 3 percent a big deal on the high-speed ovals where race versions of the Monte were running. These cars also had a unique ducktail spoiler which provided downforce on the car`s rear end and added to the heavy-breathing stock car ambiance.

86 was also the first year for standard gas-charged Delco Bilstein shocks and new argent/aluminum 15x7 wheels very similar to the ones used on the `80-81 Camaro Z-28.

Smoked-glass T-tops became a popular option.

Of the 161,067 SS Monte Carlos produced during the five year run between 1983 and 1988, Aerocoupes are the most rare 1986 models especially. Just 200 were produced with another 6,052 built the following year. All were white with identical options which would have included the new-for-86 15x7 aluminum rims with Goodyear Eagle GT tires, F41 sport suspension with high-effort steering and special "SS" decals and stripes.

Base price for the `87 Aerocoupe was $14,838 vs. $13,463 for the standard notchback SS.

By this time, unfortunately, sales had dropped sharply down to 16,204. 1988 would also be the final year for the Monte Carlo SS and, sadly, for a rear-drive, V-8 Monte Carlo. (Chevy decided the future lay in smaller, front-drive models like the soon-to-be-released Lumina.)

The Monte Carlo nameplate would be revived a few years later and V-8 power would return in 2006 (albeit in a front-drive configuration and with modern engine controls, etc.). But the classic muscle car layout of 83-88 was history too crude for modern tastes; too politically incorrect to pass muster with The Man.

But the sound of an old SS under full steam Q-jet secondaries opening up, Eagle GTs skittering on the pavement is a pleasant reminder of simpler times, of cheap thrills, of rawboned American muscle.

They may build `em faster but they`ll never build `em sweeter.
[/align][align=center][/align][/align]

Old 09-13-2008, 05:56 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Space, you're posting that mint 83 SS just to taunt Mickey and I aren't you?

Man, if I had a garage to store it in the winter, I would buy it myself. The fourth gens are my favorite.

One options open to you Space dude...

Buy it and sell it to Mickey. Or you can just drive by his house and wave at him everyday.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:21 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

evel evel evel taz...

Old 09-13-2008, 07:34 PM
rj
15 Year Member

Cool write up on the 1980s Monte Carlo.

But there's a cramp in my rear section cauce not one word about the LS Monte. With only a 2 year run (and we all know the 1988 Montes were hold over 1987s) there should at least be some mention about this forgotten model. I'll bet if all numbers tallied you would find fewer 1986-88 LS Montes surviving today then any of the other model ESPECIALLY the SSs. The LSs were either converted into SSs or used to piece an SS back together.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Taz

Space, you're posting that mint 83 SS just to taunt Mickey and I aren't you?

Man, if I had a garage to store it in the winter, I would buy it myself. The fourth gens are my favorite.

One options open to you Space dude...

Buy it and sell it to Mickey. Or you can just drive by his house and wave at him everyday.
Moderator `Taz,
Thanks for your post, and yes the 4th Generation is one
of my favorites to : ) I just about had one before from a
estate sale that I cleaned a detailed for several months, and
really thought I had it, until the will was contested : (
- Good Things come 2 those that Wait -
I really believe in the near future that Moderator `Mickey
will have another Monte Carlo 4-Sure.
"Once addicted to a Monte Carlo, you are always addicted : )"
You think you can live without one, until you see one on the road,
then the cravings begin. You start searching for another one : )
I hope that your future contains a 4th Gen 2 EnJoy.
`kid

Old 09-14-2008, 05:10 AM

[align=center]
ORIGINAL: rj

Cool write up on the 1980s Monte Carlo.

But there's a cramp in my rear section cauce not one word about the LS Monte. With only a 2 year run (and we all know the 1988 Montes were hold over 1987s) there should at least be some mention about this forgotten model. I'll bet if all numbers tallied you would find fewer 1986-88 LS Montes surviving today then any of the other model ESPECIALLY the SSs. The LSs were either converted into SSs or used to piece an SS back together.

[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Hi RJ,[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]The article I posted was written about the 83-88 Monte Carlo SS,[/align][align=center]and was not about all Monte Carlos in those years.[/align][align=center]I agree the 86-88 LS models are also very rare,[/align][align=center]but I believe the intent of the writer -Eric Peters-,[/align][align=center]wrote about the SS V8: the last full-frame, rear-drive/live axle carbureted V-8 muscle car GM ever made.[/align][align=center]RJ, you should write a article about the 86-88 LS : )[/align][align=center]I think GM Chevrolet Division built several models to attempt[/align][align=center]to please everyone. I just rather have a V 8...lol[/align][align=center]Peace Out[/align][align=center][/align][align=left]PS. Thanks [/align][align=left]`Cort for your words/post[/align][align=left]I appreciate, 4-Sure : )[/align][align=center]
[/align]
[align=center][/align]

Old 09-14-2008, 02:00 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

So where you at on buying this gorgeous 83 SS? You MUST buy it, if the price is fair. You shouldnt loose money on it, where as the 06 SS will keep dropping in value, at least for a while. Buy this one, stay out of debt, and enjoy your great Monte!

Old 09-15-2008, 05:24 AM

[align=center]
ORIGINAL: RocknSS04

So where you at on buying this gorgeous 83 SS? You MUST buy it, if the price is fair. You shouldnt loose money on it, where as the 06 SS will keep dropping in value, at least for a while. Buy this one, stay out of debt, and enjoy your great Monte!
[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]Thanks again `Wayne for your words.[/align][align=center]The Monte I want is about a 3 hour drive away from me, and I have to[/align][align=center]re-schedule a lot of my committments.[/align][align=center]Working 7 nights a week, plus 2 p/t jobs consumes a lot of my time, plus[/align][align=center]getting over to see it, and hopefully buying it. [/align][align=center]I want my grandfather to go with me, because he really knows how to[/align][align=center]check out the condition of cars. [/align][align=center]We are working now on ourconflicting `Time schedules.[/align][align=center]I am going tomorrow to look @ a 88 SS in Vero Beach : )[/align][align=center]It`s difficult for me to keep up with my class assignments (Studies), because[/align][align=center]my mind keeps drifting `off into dreamland about getting a 4th Gen Monte : )[/align][align=center]The 83 SS is a Classic show quality Monte Carlo, and I keep thinking[/align][align=center]if I want that nice of Monte for a dailey driver, or get one for less[/align][align=center]money that I can drive, and later drop in a 350 crate with a 3/4 cam,[/align][align=center]solid lifters, with ported and polished heads, HD 4 Speed, etc. : )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I dread parking a dent free Monte in a Walmart parking lot : ([/align][align=center]Im afraid `if I see and drive the posted 83SS, I will want it 4-Sure : )[/align][align=center]I will keep everyone updated on my `Dream Monte`s[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Thanks again Wayne, and members for your words/posts[/align][align=center]of support.[/align][align=center]Wish the reader of my words a Happy Day/Life[/align][align=center]EnJoy your Monte Carlo[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4301/5AB014A4F05940B2BB11C776F46B5E95.gif[/IMG] [/align]

Old 09-16-2008, 07:27 AM

[align=center][:-]? [:-][/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]SuperSuperClean InSide
[:-]
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Black is Beautiful 4-$ure
[IMG]local://upfiles/4301/ACE2F9565B8C4C758285E79C06C2FA82.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]local://upfiles/4301/9DCC05111171443D93101321F0E9A611.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]local://upfiles/4301/6975B38B679C435396E0662461918A9F.jpg[/IMG] [/align]

Quick Reply: `SpaceBox Sold : )