Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

help!!!! antifreeze leaking!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 11:24 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default help!!!! antifreeze leaking!!!

i have had antifreeze leaking for two days, been all over the engine bay, and found nuthin. Thought it was the water pump cause it was leaking from that area. i finally found it today, its is leaking from the black really thick plastic elbowtop right above the belt tentioner. Now what i want to know, did anyone have this elbow leak befor, how much will it cost to get it fixed, and or can i buy it and do it myself??? please help, i dont wanna get ripped off on parts and labor, any help is appreciated

Old 12-22-2007, 01:40 PM
Default RE: help!!!! antifreeze leaking!!!

1st, do you have a photo of the part your talking of?

i havent had this issue with mine, but from what i have seen is you can get most of the hoses from your local auto parts store

Old 12-22-2007, 01:41 PM

oh one more thing.
what year is your car?
what motor?

Old 12-22-2007, 03:37 PM

Hey Rod we will need year and engine information. If you have a 3800 series engine in a 2000+ Monte I'm sure it is the return from the heater core... located kinda below the alternator.

I haven't heard of these cracking too often, but it does happen. You need to take off the alternator and belts. It is attached to the lower alternator mount.

Cost would be about 200-300 for a shop to do it. Probably take you about 2 hours if you have some metric sockets. It really is not that difficult.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:51 PM

It's not that hard to do, the plastic elbow is about $7 at the dealer thats the only place I could find one. you will have to remove your alt. and bracket with the heater hoses (be careful to pull the alt bracket strieght out or you'll brake the part that goes in the block). use new Orings and reassemble

Old 12-23-2007, 02:40 AM

my girls 96 grand am had that happen the dealer wanted $550 to fix it.outrageous i just paid family member 150 to do it.way to cold for me to try and figure it out,though i heard its pretty difficult on those cars

Old 12-23-2007, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

ok, my car is a 2003 monte carlo SS LE got the n/a 3800 motor.
also, o pulled off the alt, and the alt bracket/ tentioner/heater host return.....i found that the elbow was cracked. nowi just gotta go tomorrow and get the parts. im going to change both elbows, while everything is off with new o rings. I also noticed my intake manifold had a puddle of oil at the bottom of it......does intake leak freaking oil???? i really cant source where the oil coming from.should i just change the oil cover gasket back and front. and intake??

Old 12-23-2007, 02:20 PM

i'd just replace the elbow for now.

if the oil leak isnt very bad i wouldnt do anything about it yet. if its making a mess on your drive or garage, if you notice oil consumption, or if your smelling burnt oil, then it would be worth it.

if you get **** about seeing oil leaks i would suggest
A: going all the way, valve covers, lower intake, oil pan, and rear main/channel plate gasket.... but its not worth it to me.
B: new car.... not worth it
C: break off your hood release handle so you cant see it anymore... FREEBEE!

Old 12-23-2007, 04:58 PM

ORIGINAL: hotrodss24

ok, my car is a 2003 monte carlo SS LE got the n/a 3800 motor.
also, o pulled off the alt, and the alt bracket/ tentioner/heater host return.....i found that the elbow was cracked. nowi just gotta go tomorrow and get the parts. im going to change both elbows, while everything is off with new o rings. I also noticed my intake manifold had a puddle of oil at the bottom of it......does intake leak freaking oil???? i really cant source where the oil coming from.should i just change the oil cover gasket back and front. and intake??
See not to hard, As far as the oil leak most likely valve cover gasket, I had one on my GT it finally got to me and I fixed it

Old 12-23-2007, 05:07 PM

The Oil Leak was mentioned in the Tech Bulletin I got from Chevy when I joined the MyGMLink Maintenance in a recall notice. You should ASK the Dealer if its Covered by Warranty because GM fixed a bunch of them in a recall as I understand it.

Quick Reply: help!!!! antifreeze leaking!!!