Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Clunk/thump in brake pedal/steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Default Clunk/thump in brake pedal/steering wheel

I've noticed lately in my 06 LT2 that at slow speeds when pressing on the brake and turning left if I hit a bump I feel a thunk in the brake pedal and/or the steering wheel. It seems to only happen at low speeds and when I hit a small bump. It doesnt have to be a jarring bump, just something that slightly jars the chasis. Any ideas? The event is kind of hard to describe, but it feels almost like something is loose and when I hit a bump something is hitting something else in the suspension or steering linkage. There doesnt seem to be any sound related to the feeling, but it has been quite cold/rainy lately so I havent been able to drive around with the windows down. I am going to be taking the car in on wednesday, but I dont know what to say to them.

Steve

Old 01-08-2008, 10:11 AM
Default RE: Clunk/thump in brake pedal/steering wheel

Sciggy:

I notice the same thing in my '05 SS. I didn't notice it right away when I got it, but it has shown up within the last 4 months or so. I only haven't taken mine in yet b/c I spent a lot of time nickle and diming the dealership over warranty things, and I wanted to give them a break.

From what I can tell there is no sound either, but what you describe is exactly what I have. I did a search a while back after it first started for recalls, etc, and I found numerous technical service bulletins describing a similar issue. I don't knwo exactly what a technical service bulletin is (obviously not a recall), but it seems to be dealer techs reporting these issues as common ones. Out of the 60ish (I think) TSB's, this issue was a large number of them.

Definiately shouldn't be an issue getting fixed under warranty. I also had a friend with an 05 Grand Prix who had a similar issue. I never drove it, but from the passenger side it felt like there was a tooth missing in a gear when you turned the wheel. That is the first thing I thought of when I began feelign what you described.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

ISS, Intermediate Steering Shaft - do a search and you'll find tons, lot's of GM's all the way back to 2000, I believe, have problems.
Found this on another site, haven't tried it, but plan too. Ithink it's on this site somewhere too.
http://www.naioa.com/v2/modules.php?...ic&t=10805

They are supposed to have a new shaft that fixes the problem, but uinless it has a grease fitting I doubt I'll mess with it.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: dustybird3

ISS, Intermediate Steering Shaft
Type in what she says^^^^^^^^in the search function here and have fun with the many, many posts.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:01 PM

I have clunking, but I think it's from my upgraded exhaust, it's only at takeoff hard, and hard stops. Sound like an ISS?

Old 01-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Photobucket

I had found a post somewhere on the internet on how you check to be sure it's the ISS, but I'll be danged if I can find it now. Thought I had saved it in favorites but it's not there or I'm blind. I'll keep looking for it.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:43 PM

It Sounds just like he said the Intermediate Steering Shaft, I had it replaced on my 2003 SS and now my current model 2006 SS, both covered under waranty. But i have a question of my own, Once this is replaced does it fix the problem or is there a chance it will happen again?

Old 01-08-2008, 08:12 PM
Photobucket

Not sure. The old replacements were just a bandaid. I think the new one has only been out a few months so don't know if they have been around long enough to know.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:09 PM

Just dropped the car off at the dealership, hopefully they will figure something out. The guy at the dealership said he thought it was the ISS also so at least you guys are all on the same page. I also told them about the annoying door rattle so hopefully they will be able to recreate that also. I will update as soon as I have more info.

Steve

Old 01-09-2008, 01:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

If your dealer can reproduce the door rattle, you may be the first on this site.

Quick Reply: Clunk/thump in brake pedal/steering wheel