Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

car dies and starts and dies and starts

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 04:47 PM

well she just forgot about it i was in iraq when it happened to her so she just drove my car like 3 times a month and the last tune up was a little over a month ago when i hit the 60,000 mile mark i am only at 65800 miles now... hopefully it doesnt happen again

Old 05-06-2010, 09:15 PM

Have a fuel pressure test done on it. If the pump is weak it will do that and sometimes very intermittently.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:13 PM

it died again and i had it towed to the shop it got there and started just fine had them do a fuel test like justin said and they said it was fin they also said that it could be the ignition module or the computer but if it were the ignition mdual wouldnt it run rough before it died ...

Old 05-15-2010, 03:12 PM

to me it sounds like a fuel problem. if it happens when the engine is hot but okay when its sat for 20 mins the fuel is probably evaporating in the fuel rail on the engine when its hot.
is there anything else that happens that you can think of at the times it happens? looking for patterns like wet or damp weather, or extremely hot day, or any other thing like lights on dash etc.
you say its an '01 lightly modded, what mods have you done?

Old 05-15-2010, 05:54 PM

it happens mostly when it is rainin
the mods are ... alotta dress up pain in engine and interior
led in vents and on floor panels i pryed my wife to remember when it happened and she said that it happened like 3 days after she got the oil changed in it (took it to a quick lube) she took it out one night to dinner on a girls night and it wouldnt start so she called her friends dad who started to look it over and found that there was almost no oil and the low oil light came on. he had it towed to a diffrent oil place and refilled the oil and changed the filter and it did it the first time shortly there after... my car has never burned or leaked a drop of oil before or after this incident and it happens more when it rains but it also happens on very hot muggy days

Old 05-15-2010, 05:55 PM

f it is the fuel evaporating what can i do do prevent it

Old 05-15-2010, 05:57 PM

and as for lights you know when you first turn on the key in your car and it cycles all the messeges in the messege center and all the lights lest them selves it does that also

Old 05-15-2010, 06:14 PM

I know you say its already had a pressure test but what about when its hot and acting up? you said it started right up by the time it got to the shop. i had a car that made good pressure but low volume, and when the engine warmed up it was vaporizing in the fuel rail. when the engine is running and warmed up it should stay running if the test port is draining into a gas can. if it starts acting up a volume problem is likely. the fact that it seems so random spells fuel pump to me and without actually testing it myself i don't want to give you anymore advice but this. if it acts up on you and wont start try banging on the bottom of the tank while someone else cranks it over, sometimes that will get a pump going properly again. also take it to a non-flat rate garage, it may cost more money in the long haul but if they don't fix it right demand your $$ back.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:05 PM

i will try to test the volume at temp and see what happens thanks for all the advice if i cant figure it out ill just start changing parts til it stops no i wont ill keep looking but again thanks for all the advice

Old 07-24-2010, 12:19 AM
Default same problem

i am having this same problem. i will check the MAF sensor and repost. also, my check engine light has been on for months now, and when i took it to the shop and had the guy check codes, he told me the o2 sensor was reading negative 50 degrees or something, so i don't know what to think of that. the car has over 350k miles on it, so i don't know if the engine has been swapped a couple times, cause everyone i talk to says this engine ('96 3.4 z34 v6 DOHC) will not usually go over 100k. this is beginning to become a problem, as i am just barely able to get to work, and usually on my way home it will die on me, and i have to wait about an hour before it decides it wants to start again.

Last edited by rekloki; 07-24-2010 at 12:21 AM. Reason: misspelling

Quick Reply: car dies and starts and dies and starts